Jacobs 1 of Under Armour's ADs of the year (Updated)

GwillMac6

32 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

As long as people keep defending JJ, I feel I need to point out the obvious.  Since he has been AD, the cumulative rank of men's football, basketball, and baseball is DEAD LAST in the SEC.  But yeah, we're great at some of the tiddly wink sports and we did get that BCS championship.  But Cam Newton had a lot more to do with that than JJ hiring Chizik did.

The thing is... the job of the AD is not to win sports... the job of the AD is to make money and graduate athletes.  Yea, winning is great, because it can make even more money, but... if he's bringing in a profit even without winning, then his boss is going to be happy.

We also need to get some perspective here.  There are over 100 schools out there that WISH their athletics were as successful as Auburn's.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

then his boss is going to be happy.

You're correct.  And, I'm ecstatic that his boss is retiring this year. ;D Hopefully, the next hire will put more emphasis on sustained excellence in our major sports.

2 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Jimbo Fishers worst four years at FSU vs Malzahns four years at Auburn

Jimbo: 10-4, 9-4, 10-3, 10-3

Gus: 12-2, 8-5, 7-6, 8-5

Also, Jimbob has only lost two bowl games in as FSU's HC while Gus has only won one......

Just sayin, someone earned their buyout.

Hence why his buyout is $20 million as opposed to $5 million or however much Gus's is. I'm just saying, it is not uncommon for coaches to have large buyouts these days. I saw an article where almost every coach that's at a Power 5 school has a steep buyout. We can thank our very own Coach Tuberville and the Jetgate incident for that one. 

Also, I send my regards to A4E. With news like this, it appears that Tuberville won't be taking over as our AD anytime soon :(

I'll give it a shot...Just guessing but possibly REC behind this, to make it tougher for new Pres to fire him?

22 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

You're correct.  And, I'm ecstatic that his boss is retiring this year. ;D Hopefully, the next hire will put more emphasis on sustained excellence in our major sports.

My guess is the next boss won't care about that either. Most university presidents don't, you know, unless it's in their talking points when addressing alumni on game day. All they see is money and graduation rates.

What I hope the new president cares about is innovating and growing, which will cause turnover in several leadership areas, the AD being one of the biggest, and will hopefully sever ties with some of the big money people who have too much access, and too much desire to keep things the way they've always been.

17 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Also, I send my regards to A4E. With news like this, it appears that Tuberville won't be taking over as our AD anytime soon :(

That's ok... he'll be too busy running for Governor.  He wins and he'll technically be the president's boss... and bama's president's boss too.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

As long as people keep defending JJ, I feel I need to point out the obvious.  Since he has been AD, the cumulative rank of men's football, basketball, and baseball is DEAD LAST in the SEC.  But yeah, we're great at some of the tiddly wink sports and we did get that BCS championship.  But Cam Newton had a lot more to do with that than JJ hiring Chizik did.

He inherited a basketball program that was in the dumps, hired a proven winner as head coach, and from all appearances the team is well on its way to sustained success under Pearl. As for football, I still believe in Malzahn, and I believe we can get to the point of winning 10 games a year. I know little of the baseball program, but that's still two of the major sports who have already excelled or appear (to everyone) to be on the verge of excellence, and he's the guy who hired those in charge of things. I'm not a huge Jacobs supporter, but that's noteworthy if you want to look at it just from the view of the big three men's sports.

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Additionally, the best "tiddly wink" program AU has ever had (Swimming and Diving under David Marsh) was FUBARed by Jay Jacobs.

wde

4 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Additionally, the best "tiddly wink" program AU has ever had (Swimming and Diving under David Marsh) was FUBARed by Jay Jacobs.

wde

That certainly IS one of the major shots against him, but the softball team seems to be picking up that slack for the time being. If, that is, non-men's sports are considered "tiddly wink".

Just now, Rednilla said:

That certainly IS one of the major shots against him, but the softball team seems to be picking up that slack for the time being. If, that is, non-men's sports are considered "tiddly wink".

I agree the softball team is the brightest spot on the JJ "smaller sport" resume, but until the softball team dominates the SEC and NCAA in terms of championships like Swim and Dive did under Marsh they are far from picking up any slack that the swim program under Marsh earned.

wde

Just now, AUIH1 said:

I agree the softball team is the brightest spot on the JJ "smaller sport" resume, but until the softball team dominates the SEC and NCAA in terms of championships like Swim and Dive did under Marsh they are far from picking up any slack that the swim program under Marsh earned.

wde

Does get more TV coverage, however, and they're a lot of fun to watch. Increases name brand a bit more than swimming, which is why I was hesitant to say it only picked up some of the slack.

Now, don't mistake me: I hate it that Marsh was run off, and I SO wish we could get the swim program back where it was. But if we're picking nits, it seems fair to recognize the softball team's success. Seems like gymnastics has made a step up, too, if memory serves.

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

Does get more TV coverage, however, and they're a lot of fun to watch. Increases name brand a bit more than swimming, which is why I was hesitant to say it only picked up some of the slack.

Now, don't mistake me: I hate it that Marsh was run off, and I SO wish we could get the swim program back where it was. But if we're picking nits, it seems fair to recognize the softball team's success. Seems like gymnastics has made a step up, too, if memory serves.

I totally celebrate the softball team's success as well as gymnastics (although they have taken a step back this year) and even equestrian.  But it is unfair to the Swim and Dive Program under Marsh to try to equate any athletic program on campus to the Swim and Dive program under Marsh.  

wde

Just now, AUIH1 said:

I totally celebrate the softball team's success as well as gymnastics (although they have taken a step back this year) and even equestrian.  But it is unfair to the Swim and Dive Program under Marsh to try to equate any athletic program on campus to the Swim and Dive program under Marsh.  

wde

That's fair. However, we aren't talking about the Swim and Dive program under Marsh. We're talking about the job Jacobs has done as AD. All good things come to an end; the beginning of other new good things is noteworthy.

32 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

Wonder why Marsh left.... Oh, never mind.

Jacobs benefits from the fact that Auburn resides in the uber-rich SEC and alums/fans are doggedly loyal to the school and the athletics programs and continue to spend lots of money on both.    

4 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

Jacobs benefits from the fact that Auburn resides in the uber-rich SEC and alums/fans are doggedly loyal to the school and the athletics programs and continue to spend lots of money on both.    

True to a certain extent but big big donor money is being held up for any huge stadium upgrades. Small upgrades yes but not the big wow factor upgrades as long as JJ is there

3 hours ago, oracle79 said:

You can point out all you want but maybe I should point out something to you.

You are missing something that should be obvious....but apparently not:    

So here goes...a simple math statement:     No Chiz =No Gus= No Trooper = No Cam....all of which equals 0 BCS championship at AU.  Simple math but some folks seem to have trouble with it. ....thinking you can delete any one of those variable without affecting the rest of the statement.   

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

You can point out all you want but maybe I should point out something to you.

You are missing something that should be obvious....but apparently not:    

So here goes...a simple math statement:     No Chiz =No Gus= No Trooper = No Cam....all of which equals 0 BCS championship at AU.  Simple math but some folks seem to have trouble with it. ....thinking you can delete any one of those variable without affecting the rest of the statement.   

Well that's all true but when was the last time we beat uga or bammer? Kinda of getting tired of getting beat by those a holes

Something also to think about: an AD cannot even be considered for this honor if your program has been hit with probabtion, or has been cited lack of institutional control on your watch.  Not bad.  

I'm not defending nor bashing JJ but...

of the big 2 sports.  Football and men's basketball Auburn's 2 head coaches lead the conference in career winning percentage combined.  

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Well that's all true but when was the last time we beat uga or bammer? Kinda of getting tired of getting beat by those a holes

I hear you but I think Gus has a better chance of solving that problem than any Sunbelt head coach or wannabe head coach moving up from a Coordinator's job. 

Frankly, I don't see a coach available or even potentially available who could out recruit and out coach Sabin . 

5 hours ago, Rednilla said:

He inherited a basketball program that was in the dumps, hired a proven winner as head coach, and from all appearances the team is well on its way to sustained success under Pearl. As for football, I still believe in Malzahn, and I believe we can get to the point of winning 10 games a year. I know little of the baseball program, but that's still two of the major sports who have already excelled or appear (to everyone) to be on the verge of excellence, and he's the guy who hired those in charge of things. I'm not a huge Jacobs supporter, but that's noteworthy if you want to look at it just from the view of the big three men's sports.

JJ shouldn't get much credit for Bruce. He was handed to JJ on a silver platter.

16 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

Good!  Never was a big Tubs fan. 

16 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

The thing is... the job of the AD is not to win sports... the job of the AD is to make money and graduate athletes.  Yea, winning is great, because it can make even more money, but... if he's bringing in a profit even without winning, then his boss is going to be happy.

We also need to get some perspective here.  There are over 100 schools out there that WISH their athletics were as successful as Auburn's.

Thank the good Lord Gogue is retiring because that seems to be his outlook.

and those schools suck.  We need to quit being happy with mediocre and quit hoping that next year will be the year that Tuberville/Chizik/Gus starts being consistent.  Actually Gus is consistent.  8-5, 7-6, 8-5.   

Archived