Jacobs 1 of Under Armour's ADs of the year (Updated)

GwillMac6

4 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Thank the good Lord Gogue is retiring because that seems to be his outlook.

and those schools suck.  We need to quit being happy with mediocre and quit hoping that next year will be the year that Tuberville/Chizik/Gus starts being consistent.  Actually Gus is consistent.  8-5, 7-6, 8-5.   

The sad thing is that we aren't mediocre... we are annually one of the top teams in the nation, we just aren't the best every year which seems to bug some people a lot. And, once again, the AD has VERY little to do with the football record. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The sad thing is that we aren't mediocre... we are annually one of the top teams in the nation, we just aren't the best every year which seems to bug some people a lot. And, once again, the AD has VERY little to do with the football record. 

Please define annually, and in WHAT SPORT?!?!?!

2 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Please define annually, and in WHAT SPORT?!?!?!

Annually - adv. once a year; every year

Football.  We are almost always in or just outside of the top 25.  You do realize that the bottom of the top 25 isn't the worst teams in the nation, right, it's the bottom of the best teams in the nation.  We went to the freakin' Sugar Bowl last year as the #2 team in the toughest conference in the country. 

People really need to stop basing their idea of good or bad on what is happening with the hard cheating, NCAA protected school across the state and realize just how good Auburn is, in the grand scheme of things, even when we aren't at our best.  We're the 13th best FBS team in the nation since 2000, out of 128 schools, and the 12th best FBS team in the nation of all time.  That means were in the top 10%.  In what sad alternate universe is that mediocre? 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Annually - adv. once a year; every year

Football.  We are almost always in or just outside of the top 25.  You do realize that the bottom of the top 25 isn't the worst teams in the nation, right, it's the bottom of the best teams in the nation.  We went to the freakin' Sugar Bowl last year as the #2 team in the toughest conference in the country. 

People really need to stop basing their idea of good or bad on what is happening with the hard cheating, NCAA protected school across the state and realize just how good Auburn is, in the grand scheme of things, even when we aren't at our best.  We're the 13th best FBS team in the nation since 2000, out of 128 schools, and the 12th best FBS team in the nation of all time.  That means were in the top 10%.  In what sad alternate universe is that mediocre? 

You're either with me or against me!

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Look, the last three years under Gus are frustrating and I am not comparing him to Saban. Heck right now I wish I could at least compare him to Richt.  Gus CANNOT win 9 games.  Every year theres and excuse.  14 sorry the defense fell apart, 15 sorry Jeremy had mental issues/wasn't developed please focus on Jeremy and forget that I didn't realize Roc can't run between the tackles and the defense was actually nowhere near ready and we wont run tempo, 16 STILL no good reason to what happened at the start of the season then we were plagued by injuries.  Every year Gus has and excuse.

Basketball has had THREE winning seasons in 12 years.  Does anyone care about the baseball team anymore?

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

JJ shouldn't get much credit for Bruce. He was handed to JJ on a silver platter.

Fair enough.

Good for him. He seems like a nice person that loves AU and is really trying to make things at AU better. He wants to win worse than we do and he is committed to doing everything he can to make it happen. I may not agree with everything he does but that is fine. 

15 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Good for him. He seems like a nice person that loves AU and is really trying to make things at AU better. He wants to win worse than we do and he is committed to doing everything he can to make it happen. I may not agree with everything he does but that is fine. 

Quit sticking up for your husband Mrs. Jacobs!

15 hours ago, corchjay said:

I'm not defending nor bashing JJ but...

of the big 2 sports.  Football and men's basketball Auburn's 2 head coaches lead the conference in career winning percentage combined.  

Holy Twisting the Stats Batman!

And where would they rank if you looked at their career win % as Auburn head coaches?  Wow.  I think Pearl will actually have a winning record this year, and he'll improve I'm sure, but like others have said, that's not a credit to JJ.  This year will define GM's tenure and whether it continues here.

To clarify:  I doubt anyone loves Auburn more than JJ, and I'm sure he's doing the best he can to improve the University the way he thinks is best.  I don't question any of that.  I question his leadership to get the people in place to sustain excellence in our 3 major men's sports.

16 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I came here for the jokes. 

Sadly, I was disappointed. 

no what is sad is all the JJ fans we have in here. I thought this was the 1 thing AU fans and alumni could agree on which he is a abject failure at his job in any and every shape and form.

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

8-5, 7-6 and 8-5 is not one of the best teams in the nation. its mediocrity at its finest.

27 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

no what is sad is all the JJ fans we have in here. I thought this was the 1 thing AU fans and alumni could agree on which he is a abject failure at his job in any and every shape and form.

Unfortunately, you have to deny reality for that to be the case. He's certainly had some issues if not failures in a couple of areas of his job, and to call his inability to separate the AD from outside influences a negative would be an understatement, but as the job description of an Athletic Director goes, he's succeeding more than he's failing.  

Would I like some new blood in there to invigorate the program and get it away from some of the "we've always done it this way" attitude, heck yea, but it's not going to happen by trying to convince people that he is completely incompetent.  All that does is make us look clueless.

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Unfortunately, you have to deny reality for that to be the case. He's certainly had some issues if not failures in a couple of areas of his job, and to call his inability to separate the AD from outside influences a negative would be an understatement, but as the job description of an Athletic Director goes, he's succeeding more than he's failing.  

Would I like some new blood in there to invigorate the program and get it away from some of the "we've always done it this way" attitude, heck yea, but it's not going to happen by trying to convince people that he is completely incompetent.  All that does is make us look clueless.

He has let our beloved Jordan-Hare which used to be one of the nicest stadiums in the country grow in to one of the most outdated stadiums in the country and even the sec. it needs some major upgrades. A band aid big video board was the least of its problems.

Only people on this forum can take something like our AD winning national AD of the year and somehow make it a bad thing.  

Like I said in my last post, you can't even be nominated for this award if your school has had probation, or been found lack of institutional control under your watch.  Maybe we don't win every championship every year, but I would take where we are over being on probabtion for cheating to win it all. 

22 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He has let our beloved Jordan-Hare which used to be one of the nicest stadiums in the country grow in to one of the most outdated stadiums in the country and even the sec. it needs some major upgrades. A band aid big video board was the least of its problems.

I don't disagree, but you're talking personal affronts, not job failures. If, in his job description, it said that he had to keep Jordan Hare as a shining example of the creme de la creme of stadiums, then he would have failed, but my guess is, the stadium isn't even mentioned.  Furthermore, he has actually tried to upgrade it for years, but the money people are the ones blocking it, which I consider yet another example of him being to tied to the way we've always done things.

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Holy Twisting the Stats Batman!

And where would they rank if you looked at their career win % as Auburn head coaches?  Wow.  I think Pearl will actually have a winning record this year, and he'll improve I'm sure, but like others have said, that's not a credit to JJ.  This year will define GM's tenure and whether it continues here.

To clarify:  I doubt anyone loves Auburn more than JJ, and I'm sure he's doing the best he can to improve the University the way he thinks is best.  I don't question any of that.  I question his leadership to get the people in place to sustain excellence in our 3 major men's sports.

Is the coaching failure on JJ or the coaches.  What has JJ done that has kept the coaches from winning?  And to answer the question it's a career record combined for the 2 coaches meaning before and after arriving at AU.  

Like I said I'm not defending or bashing JJ just stating that he has made some good and bad hires.  The other ways you want to judge JJ have at it but the measurable numbers he has the best combo in the conference for men's basketball and football.  Those are facts.  

Money management and other things I have no clue on.  

18 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't disagree, but you're talking personal affronts, not job failures. If, in his job description, it said that he had to keep Jordan Hare as a shining example of the creme de la creme of stadiums, then he would have failed, but my guess is, the stadium isn't even mentioned.  Furthermore, he has actually tried to upgrade it for years, but the money people are the ones blocking it, which I consider yet another example of him being to tied to the way we've always done things.

they are blocking it as a testament of how little they believe in him as AD.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

they are blocking it as a testament of how little they believe in him as AD.

If that were the case they would fire him and to me it seems he is under no pressure whatsoever.  

Id love to hear from someone in the know without an agenda.

24 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Only people on this forum can take something like our AD winning national AD of the year and somehow make it a bad thing.  

Like I said in my last post, you can't even be nominated for this award if your school has had probation, or been found lack of institutional control under your watch.  Maybe we don't win every championship every year, but I would take where we are over being on probabtion for cheating to win it all. 

and only you can think Jay Jacobs is deserving of any kind of awards that consist of doing your job well. Your the ultimate sunshine pumper. If there was a award for it you would get a trophy.

Just now, corchjay said:

If that were the case they would fire him and to me it seems he is under no pressure whatsoever.  

Id love to hear from someone in the know without an agenda.

I am pretty sure it has been said on here numerous times Earl and the old money guys love him because he lets them have all access to the program but the newer generation on the board is not all to fond of one Jay Jacobs. So basically its split.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am pretty sure it has been said on here numerous times Earl and the old money guys love him because he lets them have all access to the program but the newer generation on the board is not all to fond of one Jay Jacobs. So basically its split.

Please for the love of all things good tell me this isn't true.  Didn't we learn our lesson about BOD directly involved with the SACS stuff years ago.  Hire a man let him do the job you hired him for.  If he fails in his job get rid of him and hire someone that can.  

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

and only you can think Jay Jacobs is deserving of any kind of awards that consist of doing your job well. Your the ultimate sunshine pumper. If there was a award for it you would get a trophy.

Looks like I am in the majority and you are in the minority if he was voted AD of the year.  All of JJ's programs are trending up and those are facts, not opinions.  For what it's worth, my post was not directed at you, although I can see why you think that.  

13 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Looks like I am in the majority and you are in the minority if he was voted AD of the year.  All of JJ's programs are trending up and those are facts, not opinions.  For what it's worth, my post was not directed at you, although I can see why you think that.  

trending up? we have heard that for EVERY SINGLE coach hire in a major sport and so far it has not happened but basketball has the best shot with a proven coach in bruce pearl. JJ hired the single worst basketball coach in auburn history in tony barbee set the program back years. Only bruce pearl could get us out of this mess out of all the realistic candidates we could of hired after we let barbee go and jacobs had to be talked in to that when it was so obvious. Yah a lot of people wanted Butch Thompson hired but I think we should of hired Pat Murphy. He is a dynamite proven college baseball coach. He wanted the job and a few people in the AD were pushing for him that had ties to him from his ASU days but it was already too far down the tracks with thompson. I do not know much about butch but from the looks of it he is a really good recruiter so it could work out. football? last 3 years going 0-6 vs uat and georgia? enough said. 8-5, 7-6 and 8-5 yah that is not trending up.

Archived