Jacobs 1 of Under Armour's ADs of the year (Updated)

GwillMac6

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

8-5, 7-6 and 8-5 is not one of the best teams in the nation. its mediocrity at its finest.

Top 25 or close to it every year is one of the best teams in the nation.  13th best overall record since 2000 is one of the best teams in the nation. 12th best record ever is one of the top teams in the nation. You can harp on the last 3 years all you want and call every logical explanation for the results "excuses" if you want, but the truth is, it's sour grapes and an inability to roll with the punches when things don't swing our way.

We are going to have good seasons, we're going to have great seasons and we are going to have seasons where everything that can go wrong, will.  That's football.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

and only you can think Jay Jacobs is deserving of any kind of awards that consist of doing your job well. Your the ultimate sunshine pumper. If there was a award for it you would get a trophy.

Only @abw0004 and the people who actually gave him an award... the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics.  Guess they are sunshine pumpers, too.

Come on man... it's totally cool for you to not like the guy, but putting down people who get that maybe he actually does some things really well, and that might be why he got an award... not so cool.

7 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Thank the good Lord Gogue is retiring because that seems to be his outlook.

and those schools suck.  We need to quit being happy with mediocre and quit hoping that next year will be the year that Tuberville/Chizik/Gus starts being consistent.  Actually Gus is consistent.  8-5, 7-6, 8-5.   

Just noting that Mullen at MSU got a 4 year contract extension with a worse record than that....and an $18M buyout..

Like it or not, Lion's comments are not just representative of Gouge...but most likely the vast majority of Trustees and lots of alums too. 

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Only @abw0004 and the people who actually gave him an award... the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics.  Guess they are sunshine pumpers, too.

Come on man... it's totally cool for you to not like the guy, but putting down people who get that maybe he actually does some things really well, and that might be why he got an award... not so cool.

Here is why I am perfectly being fine being a sunshine pumper:

Sunshine pumper (win or lose):  Extremely proud to be an Auburn Tiger.  Support my Auburn team(s) and everyone involved no matter what. :wareagle:

Pessimist (win or lose, but in this case if we win):  WE ARE SO TERRIBLE.  EVERYONE SHOULD BE FIRED.  I could do a better job!  Ahhhhhh!!  >:(

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

no what is sad is all the JJ fans we have in here. I thought this was the 1 thing AU fans and alumni could agree on which he is a abject failure at his job in any and every shape and form.

Complete horse***t and couldn't be further from the truth.  I get there are people that don't like Jacobs for whatever their ridiculous set of reasons are, but there's a lot more to running an athletic department than the football program.  We all want to win in every sport, but Jacobs doesn't coach any of those sports.  He also doesn't make the hires of any of these sports on his own either.  They are all approved by the BOT and they could all be turned down as well.    There isn't one person here that has any clue how to run an athletic department, particularly one the size of a major national University like Auburn.     When Jacobs is finished as AD at Auburn, those jacobs haters will be thrilled (for about 6 months) then they will latch onto something the new AD did or said and start calling for his head. 

8-5, 7-6 and 8-5 is not one of the best teams in the nation. its mediocrity at its finest.

When did Jacobs start coaching the football team?  It's comical how the Jacobs haters vilify him for the mediocre seasons within the football program, but don't give him an ounce of credit for the SEC and BCS titles in 2010 or the SEC title and BCS Appearance in 2013.    If he's going to be held responsible for average seasons, he needs to be given credit for the good ones.  Oh, wait, that doesn't fit the hate Jacobs narrative. 

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Here is why I am perfectly being fine being a sunshine pumper:

Sunshine pumper (win or lose):  Extremely proud to be an Auburn Tiger.  Support my Auburn team(s) and everyone involved no matter what. :wareagle:

Pessimist (win or lose, but in this case if we win):  WE ARE SO TERRIBLE.  EVERYONE SHOULD BE FIRED.  I could do a better job!  Ahhhhhh!!  >:(

being a blind sunshine pumper is not what is best for Auburn. you are going to be positive regardless. Where do you draw the line and actually are negative for a change?

43 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

When did Jacobs start coaching the football team?  It's comical how the Jacobs haters vilify him for the mediocre seasons within the football program, but don't give him an ounce of credit for the SEC and BCS titles in 2010 or the SEC title and BCS Appearance in 2013.    If he's going to be held responsible for average seasons, he needs to be given credit for the good ones.  Oh, wait, that doesn't fit the hate Jacobs narrative. 

yes those 2 seasons clearly look like the norm and not the exception...... Look at the rest of the seasons surrounding those seasons. Come on man. Who is the one ignoring facts here? we have not been to the ncaa tourney once in basketball under his watch. We have been to the tourney only twice or three times depending on if you want to give him credit for 05 in baseball under his watch and gone through countless head coaches. SO what exactly am I supposed to be so excited about? I mean heck we have only been to the NIT once since he took over as well. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Just noting that Mullen at MSU got a 4 year contract extension with a worse record than that....and an $18M buyout..

Like it or not, Lion's comments are not just representative of Gouge...but most likely the vast majority of Trustees and lots of alums too. 

Our standards have really sunk if we are comparing ourselves to a program with 1 sec title in their whole football history.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

being a blind sunshine pumper is not what is best for Auburn. you are going to be positive regardless. Where do you draw the line and actually are negative for a change?

Well looking how everyone is starting to jump on you and pointing out how you are wrong, yet you keep going the other way with no real facts, who really is blind here.  Like lionheartkc told me a long time ago when I first got on this forum, you might want to quit while you are ahead so you don't end up with egg on your face.  Not trying to be mean, but to prevent this from getting really bad.  

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Well looking how everyone is starting to jump on you and pointing out how you are wrong, yet you keep going the other way with no real facts, who really is blind here.  Like lionheartkc told me a long time ago when I first got on this forum, you might want to quit while you are ahead so you don't end up with egg on your face.  Not trying to be mean, but to prevent this from getting really bad.  

what am I wrong about? I mean seriously.  We have been bad in basketball for years. Like really bad. And have been a roller coaster ride in football with nothing remotely resembling sustaining success. We have had top recruiting10 classes every year since chiziks second year and yet have only two 10 win seasons out of it. Those years are great but it would be nice to follow up those years with another 10 win season something that has not been done since the Dye days. Why is it wrong to want to be better than average which is what you seem to be ok with. Are you ok with the last 3 years of Auburn football? Why would I be thrilled with 8-5, 7-6 and 8-5?  I hope I never get to that point. I am tired of losing to georgia and alabama every year. There is going to be people who disagree with you all the time on here and the ones who always agree with you. Does not bother me either way. We all love AU and want the best for it we just clearly have different philosophies.

:popcorn:I will say I am not a JJ fan but we will see what happens after Dr. JG retires. JJ is good at somethings and not so good at others just have to wait and see how it plays out. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

what am I wrong about? I mean seriously.  We have been bad in basketball for years. Like really bad. And have been a roller coaster ride in football with nothing remotely resembling sustaining success. We have top 10 classes every year since chiziks second year and yet have only two 10 win seasons out of it. Those years are great but it would be nice to follow up those years with another 10 win season something that has not been done since the Dye days. Why is it wrong to want to be better than average which is what you seem to be ok with. Are you ok with the last 3 years of Auburn football? Why would I be thrilled with 8-5, 7-6 and 8-5.  I hope not. I am tired of losing to georgia and alabama every year.

You are picking and choosing your facts to suit you needs.  Auburn has been terrible at basketball since before Jacobs was at Auburn.  Auburn is not a school known for basketball, so it is a tall order to get a phenomenal coach, and phenomenal players to Auburn without cheating.  It takes time to change that.  Jacobs did the right thing in hiring a coach, and giving them enough time to turn it around before he pulled the plug and tried another coach.  We are slowly becoming better and better, getting sustainable growth on the success track.

Name another program that is not Alabama, and Clemson in the past  10 years that has been to the National Championship twice.  The past three years have had circumstances that lead to those results. 2014 the team had given up by the time UGA and UA rolled around.  2015 did not have a good QB that was out of the coaches hands.  2016 we were severely hurt on all fronts.  

You are also forgetting other sports thatare on the rise like softball, baseball, equestrian has always been good, and track.  

You are also choosing to forget what else an actual AD does.  Do you know what else he is responsible for?  Have you even met the guy to know how competent he is?

Also, when he went to Gus saying who he wanted as OC, he evenetally told Gus he trusted him and let Gus chose his man.  That shows how much cohesion there is behind the doors for that trust instead of calling badge.

It's like in the stock market, you are being way too narrow minded looking at only a few years in only a few segments saying the market has and will be terrible instead of looking broader.  If it was your way, you would yank your stock (coach or AD) the second the market took a down turn, which is a terrible thing to do.  

Take a broader look at everything.  

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

You are picking and choosing your facts to suit you needs.  Auburn has been terrible at basketball since before Jacobs was at Auburn.  Auburn is not a school known for basketball, so it is a tall order to get a phenomenal coach, and phenomenal players to Auburn without cheating.  It takes time to change that.  Jacobs did the right thing in hiring a coach, and giving them enough time to turn it around before he pulled the plug and tried another coach.  We are slowly becoming better and better, getting sustainable growth on the success track.

Name another program that is not Alabama, and Clemson in the past  10 years that has been to the National Championship twice.  The past three years have had circumstances that lead to those results. 2014 the team had given up by the time UGA and UA rolled around.  2015 did not have a good QB that was out of the coaches hands.  2016 we were severely hurt on all fronts.  

You are also forgetting other sports thatare on the rise like softball, baseball, equestrian has always been good, and track.  

You are also choosing to forget what else an actual AD does.  Do you know what else he is responsible for?  Have you even met the guy to know how competent he is?

Also, when he went to Gus saying who he wanted as OC, he evenetally told Gus he trusted him and let Gus chose his man.  That shows how much cohesion there is behind the doors for that trust instead of calling badge.

It's like in the stock market, you are being way too narrow minded looking at only a few years in only a few segments saying the market has and will be terrible instead of looking broader.  If it was your way, you would yank your stock (coach or AD) the second the market took a down turn, which is a terrible thing to do.  

Take a broader look at everything.  

Softball is great. no qualms at all. Clint Myers is hands down the best coach on campus. It is pretty well known on here JJ was not at all responsible for hiring him as has been said on here many times. Love that team. That is a well oiled machine. You think I am going to argue with you on the sports that AU is actually good at? no. Equestrian is the second best program we have on campus. Why would I be negative on that? we are talking about the money drawing sports here that have a chance to be in the green at seasons end. Football, Mens Basketball and baseball. SO because Auburn is not a basketball school he should not be held accountable for the continued failures? he hired barbee Thats on him. Those failures are on him. Ok lets take it back even further and look at our record since Tubs last year in football: 5-7, 8-5, 14-0, 8-5, 3-9, 12-2, 8-5, 7-6 and 8-5. 61-47 overall record over those times. That is a big MEH from me. SEC record is even worse over that time frame. 33-37 How have we done against our 3 biggest rivals? the games that mean the most to us? We have lost 6 of 9 to LSU. 7 of 9 to Alabama and 7 of 9 as well to Georgia. That is simply flat out unacceptable. There is no excuses or ways around it.

52 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Well don't this beat all

lol why are you so late to the party rand?!

On 3/3/2017 at 10:29 PM, GwillMac6 said:

lol why are you so late to the party rand?!

Guess I was too caught up with the Trump every day drama.

Archived