Null



Sign in to follow this  
ellitor

My basketball thoughts

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Some players did progress, it just wasn't the most talented players and that can be a problem....I posted about 30 times we'll go as far as our pg. The games we looked awesome either Harper or Johnson played well, when they didn't.....Well. 

But the main thing is you had 3 true freshmen starters, who were at your most important positions and the guy who was the physically most gifted was playing a position he'd never played before and he was just a redshirt freshman himself....

It is what it is

To me the MVP this year was Herron I have never seen this much consistency from a Freshman, I am used to seeing a few great games and a few that don't look good like you saw with Harper. I agree that PG play was the key this year and next year. I expect Mitchell to be good but still a freshman. PG is the hardest position to go from HS to college I hope Harper learned enough this year we don't have to rely on Mitchell to be our savior. I think Purifoy will come back healthy and confident and hopefully as primarily a 3. We need Spencer to become a legitimate 4 but I am not sure that he can. Wiley will be a much improved 5 and will have both Spencer and McLemore as backups. McLemore will play 4 also and with his quickness and strength may end up being a better 4 than Spencer both scoring and on D he was a pleasant surprise this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




5 hours ago, Tiger said:

The bold is also a concern of mine but there should be quite a bit of natural progression that takes place in every single players' game, if they work hard during the off-season. That will help for sure.

I certainly hope you're right. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only freshman I give a pass to is Wiley.  Here was his orientation, here's your uniform, here's your locker, here's  the court, now, go play. The other freshman must have told Wiley. Don't worry about what Pearl says, we don't.

Edited by milehighfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read where bama got an invite to the NIT  as the  number three seed, (I believe) They won two games in the tournament and took Kentucky to the limit.

What did Auburn do? Oh yeah, they blew a ten point lead late and got eliminated in the opening round by 14th seeded Missouri. As usual, wait till next year.

Edited by milehighfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there was anytime that being a freshman matters it's during the tournaments, if you don't want to give a pass that's fine but not realistic. Alabama is a junior and senior laden team, Kentucky is not, that's why it was closer than normal. If you look across all freshmen most numbers went down. All except the kid from Washington

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bryce Brown deserves credit. The kid was shooting horribly to start the year, got arrested, faced a ton of criticism, but came back and played absolutely tremendously during conference play. I have a lot of respect for him, he was only a 3 start but he's played really well for us. He also plays hard. It's good to see BP to take guys like him and McLemore and develop them. Neither of them had a lot of hype but BP did a really good job. Now if he can do the same with the other guys that would be awesome 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I read where bama got an invite to the NIT  as the  number three seed, (I believe) They won two games in the tournament and took Kentucky to the limit.

What did Auburn do? Oh yeah, they blew a ten point lead late and got eliminated in the opening round by 14th seeded Missouri. As usual, wait till next year.

You do realize Bama has been to a postseason tournament in 6 of the last 7 years while Auburn has had one winning season since 2009. I know because they're the big, bad cross-state rival, everyone wants to compare us to them. But the situations aren't even close. Avery had upperclassmen to rely on this year. They aren't the most talented bunch, but they had leadership from older guys. They've been there before. They weren't completely reliant on freshmen to carry the load all season. So, be jealous or envious of Bama's continued mediocrity in basketball (don't get me wrong, I would've given anything for that mediocrity over the last few years), but don't compare the two programs like they're equals and one succeeded while the other failed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, au302 said:

Bryce Brown deserves credit. The kid was shooting horribly to start the year, got arrested, faced a ton of criticism, but came back and played absolutely tremendously during conference play. I have a lot of respect for him, he was only a 3 start but he's played really well for us. He also plays hard. It's good to see BP to take guys like him and McLemore and develop them. Neither of them had a lot of hype but BP did a really good job. Now if he can do the same with the other guys that would be awesome 

When did he get arrested? But I saw no development in Brown, he started hitting shots when mclemore and Wiley got better just like I said he would because he started getting more space, but Brown needs to work on his handle and creating space or he'll never be a real factor at this level. Especially with a shoot first pg. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, boomstick said:

You do realize Bama has been to a postseason tournament in 6 of the last 7 years while Auburn has had one winning season since 2009. I know because they're the big, bad cross-state rival, everyone wants to compare us to them. But the situations aren't even close. Avery had upperclassmen to rely on this year. They aren't the most talented bunch, but they had leadership from older guys. They've been there before. They weren't completely reliant on freshmen to carry the load all season. So, be jealous or envious of Bama's continued mediocrity in basketball (don't get me wrong, I would've given anything for that mediocrity over the last few years), but don't compare the two programs like they're equals and one succeeded while the other failed.

That is not the way I am looking at it. According to the media Avery Johnson is the greatest coach since John Wooden. My thinking, if he is this be all to end all coaches why the you know what was he unemployed from the NBA? And why the you know what did he lose to Auburn both times this year?

I read where the turds got the invite and we blew it big time down the stretch. I know it' came from Alabama's window to the world, al.com. I shouldn't let it get under my a$$ but I did. 

But I want to see some definite improvements next year,  rebounding  defense, and free throw shooting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, au302 said:

Bryce Brown deserves credit. The kid was shooting horribly to start the year, got arrested, faced a ton of criticism, but came back and played absolutely tremendously during conference play. I have a lot of respect for him, he was only a 3 start but he's played really well for us. He also plays hard. It's good to see BP to take guys like him and McLemore and develop them. Neither of them had a lot of hype but BP did a really good job. Now if he can do the same with the other guys that would be awesome 

What I liked about Brown was not just his three point shooting but the fact he played some decent defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe this thread hasn't died yet. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are slowly seeing more interest in the long term viability of Auburn Basketball. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, milehighfan said:

That is not the way I am looking at it. According to the media Avery Johnson is the greatest coach since John Wooden. My thinking, if he is this be all to end all coaches why the you know what was he unemployed from the NBA? And why the you know what did he lose to Auburn both times this year?

I read where the turds got the invite and we blew it big time down the stretch. I know it' came from Alabama's window to the world, al.com. I shouldn't let it get under my a$$ but I did. 

But I want to see some definite improvements next year,  rebounding  defense, and free throw shooting.

Woooooosaaahhhhh

I'm living in NC and nobody up here even knows Avery Johnson is Bama's basketball coach. But why are you looking through Bama's window to the world anyways? I'm with you on your last sentence though, although I'm not holding out hope for the FT shooting. Poor FT shooting is almost as old of a tradition for AU as rolling Toomers after wins unfortunately.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tiger said:

Woooooosaaahhhhh

I'm living in NC and nobody up here even knows Avery Johnson is Bama's basketball coach. But why are you looking through Bama's window to the world anyways? I'm with you on your last sentence though, although I'm not holding out hope for the FT shooting. Poor FT shooting is almost as old of a tradition for AU as rolling Toomers after wins unfortunately.

Like I said I was reading the official outlet of UAT and it just came across to me the turds basketball team was the next coming of UCLA. I let it all rub me the wrong way...like most everything they write rubs me the wrong way

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this