Stidham's leadership standing out

aubiefifty

Jarrett Stidham's leadership standing out to Auburn teammates early in spring

James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com

Jarrett Stidham's leadership qualities are standing out to Auburn's offensive players early this spring.

The new Tigers quarterback is in the midst of a position battle in which his top competition, Sean White, might not be at full strength until fall camp. But it's not preventing Stidham from capitalizing on the opportunities he's getting to work with the first-team and second-team offenses through the first three spring practices.

"Jarrett's looked good," running back Kerryon Johnson said. "For him to be here such a short time, he's gotten along great with the team. The thing that stands out to me is that I think he really wants to become a team leader. Obviously that comes with time with guys who have been in the program for years; it takes time to really get that role, but he's striving for it. It shows on the field.

"Obviously he's got a good arm. It's just going to come with practice and getting time with the receivers."

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said the Tigers spent 30 minutes of Saturday's practice with the first-team offense and defense facing off, but declined to say how much of that time was with Stidham at quarterback.

"I think (offensive coordinator) Chip (Lindsey) tried to rotate just as many as he could," Malzahn said. "Really, I can't remember exactly how it went. I mean they all got a chance to get out there with the (first team) and the (second team) and did a little bit of (third team), too."

While Malzahn praised the arm strength of both Woody Barrett and Malik Willis, he had little to stay about Stidham's performance on Saturday.

"Pretty good," Malzahn said. "I think all of our quarterbacks did a solid job and looked good."

The competition is thinning a bit, as last year's backup John Franklin III is already splitting time at wide receiver.

It's unclear how much longer Lindsey will split reps with the five healthy quarterbacks but with only two more practices before spring break, the field may be trimmed down soon.

Until then, Malzahn was pleased with what he saw on Saturday and is preparing for a similar practice on Tuesday.

"Offensively rotated a lot of guys, but it was good to kind of see how they reacted in pads," Malzahn said. "When you're in helmets you can see attitude, coachability, effort, things like that, but when you get in pads everything changes. From a coaches' standpoint, you can really learn a lot.

"I think overall looking: I loved our attitude, I loved our effort and just our approach. It'll be good for the coaches to see something to clean things up but overall I thought it was a very successful day."

Good to hear.....we just never know how SW's health is going to go and good to hear that JS is ready to take charge and show the leadership the team needs.  Also trust that he is not assuming anything about who will have the #1 spot in the fall. . 

Please God don't let JF3 be a starter as WR, if he is, our WR wonderkids aren't as good as we thought. 

31 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Please God don't let JF3 be a starter as WR, if he is, our WR wonderkids aren't as good as we thought. 

slot???

52 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I don't think he will be a starter, but if he moves, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him get significant playing time. If for no other reason than a decoy simply for his speed. He could very well play in every game, significantly, and rarely have a pass thrown to him...unless he is WIDE open. Or maybe even doing end arounds. I just dont want to see any trick plays with him throwing it while lined up at WR. But he has elite speed. You want to get that on the field somehow, and it sure won't be at QB

50 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I don't think he will be a starter, but if he moves, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him get significant playing time. If for no other reason than a decoy simply for his speed. He could very well play in every game, significantly, and rarely have a pass thrown to him...unless he is WIDE open. Or maybe even doing end arounds. I just dont want to see any trick plays with him throwing it while lined up at WR. But he has elite speed. You want to get that on the field somehow, and it sure won't be at QB

Agreed Eugene, Put him on the field at fullback - someone better be watching.

It's good to hear JS is getting along with the guys and developing as a leader. We never questioned his arm talent. It looks like he is going to be a really good fit!

As for JF3 at WR. If he can learn to catch a JS deep ball, he could become a real weapon. We've got to find a way to utilize his speed!

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

It's good to hear JS is getting along with the guys and developing as a leader. We never questioned his arm talent. It looks like he is going to be a really good fit!

As for JF3 at WR. If he can learn to catch a JS deep ball, he could become a real weapon. We've got to find a way to utilize his speed!

We already have Jason Smith, another converted QB, for that role. Honestly, I would be surprised if he gets meaningful time at any position. We are stacked at every position he might be moved to. 

Since we're going through the off season, I thought I'd post this question. I've seen pictures online of Jarrett Stidham wearing jersey #15 while pics show him wearing #8. I wonder what number he'll really get. Didn't Jarrett wear number 8 when he was at Baylor?

36 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Since we're going through the off season, I thought I'd post this question. I've seen pictures online of Jarrett Stidham wearing jersey #15 while pics show him wearing #8. I wonder what number he'll really get. Didn't Jarrett wear number 8 when he was at Baylor?

#3 at Baylor, which is taken by Craig-Myers. 

He wore #15 in Bowl practices, which is taken by Queen. 

He's now wearing #8. Remains to be seen if he'll keep it, but I like it.

9 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

I think 8 is his number going forward. 

Who are notable #8s in our past. ?

15 hours ago, AU64 said:

Who are notable #8s in our past. ?

Shayne Wasden and Jerraud Powers off the top of my head. Unless I am completely missing someone no legendary player has ever wore it. Or if they have it was way before my time.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Shayne Wasden and Jerraud Powers off the top of my hand. Unless I am completely missing someone no legendary player has ever wore it. Or if they have it was way before my time.

Looking for QBs....chance for him to immortalised the number.:)

AUBURN, Ala. — Jarrett Stidham's first goal as the new face at quarterback this spring is simple.

The Baylor transfer and favorite to win the starting job and become the face of the Auburn football program needs to become a leader, a player his new teammates trust and can get along with on and off the field.

Three days into spring practices — and there months on campus — have proven fruitful for the strong-armed, five-star prospect with three years of eligibility remaining.

“Jarrett's looked good,” Auburn running back Kerryon Johnson said. “For him to be here in such a short time, he's gotten along great with the team. The thing that stands out to me is that I think he really wants to become a team leader. Obviously that comes with time with guys who have been in the program for years. It takes time to really get that role, but he's striving for it. It shows on the field.”

Stidham was provided first-team snaps with the offense on Day 1 of spring practices last week. The remainder of practice was closed to the media, but he continued to work with mostly the starters as incubent starter Sean White stood on the sideline with an injured throwing arm.

“He fits in just fine,” said fullback Chandler Cox, who is Stidham’s roommate. “He’s more roommate so I’m with him all the
time, go eat with him all the time. I go in there and he’s always watching film. Every single day he’s watching film whether it’s for an hour or two hours. He’s a good kid and has a good head on his shoulders. He really wants to compete and help this team out. I’m excited for him and excited about him. I’m just glad he chose Auburn.”

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn has been much more careful with his words when asked about Stidham. He deflects direct questions, instead referring to the five-man rotation at the position this spring and the competition among the players — Stidham, Woody Barrett, Tyler Queen, John Franklin III and Malik Willis. The closest he has come to an individual assessment was a two-word response, which transformed into his thoughts on all fiive quarterbacks.

“Pretty good,” Malzahn said.

The fact of the matter is Stidham is not like the other quarterbacks on the field this spring. He chose to sit out the 2016 season at McLennan Community College after leaving Baylor, where he played in 10 games and started in three for Baylor as a freshman in 2015. He threw for 1,265 yards and 12 touchdowns with six interceptions while completing 68.8 percent of his passes.
He threw for 934 yards and six touchdowns with two interceptions while completing 63 percent of his passes in starts against Big 12 opponents Kansas State, Oklahoma and Kansas State. He broke his right ankle in the first half against Oklahoma State, however, and missed the remainder of the season. He threw for a career-high 419 yards in a victory at Kansas State.

“He just happens to be a new quarterback, but all the guys, we want to see what they can do and evaluate them and get a good understanding of the offense or the defense,” Malzahn said.

Malzahn said it’s doubtful Auburn will name a starting quarterback this spring, but it’s obvious Stidham is the favorite to challenge White for the starting job in the offseason and when the team returns for preseason camp in August.

Simply put, he’s on that path after one week of practices in an Auburn uniform wearing a No. 8 orange jersey.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Jarrett-Stidham-not-a-normal-quarterback-even-as-Auburn-coach-Gu-51634717

Archived