Sal Cannella

aubiefifty

New Auburn tight end Sal Cannella has 'wide receiver ability'

Wesley Sinor | wsinor@al.com

Auburn's only held three practices so far this spring, but Sal Cannella has already made an impression on his coaches and teammates.

The Tigers are hoping to utilize the 6-foot-5, 230-pounder in the passing game this season, an aspect of Gus Malzahn's offense that has recently become a rarity for tight ends.

"The thing that stands out to me about Sal is he has good hands," Malzahn said during his press conference Saturday. "We knew that. Obviously he played wide receiver in high school, so he's got a wide receiver ability with his hands. He's also learned to put his hand on the ground a little more and do some things even out of H-Back."

Cannella has also been hard at work in the weight room. Malzahn noted Cannella has added eight pounds of muscle since his arrival in January and is looking for more.

"We'd like to have him put on some weight," Malzahn said. "I think he has that frame he can do that... I think you'll continue to see that throughout the summer."

Cannella's primary competition at tight end this spring is returning starter Jalen Harris and true freshman John Samuel-Shenker. During the media's 15-minute viewing period of Tuesday's practice, Auburn was not using a tight end with the first-team offense. Harris was working with the second team while Cannella was with the third-team. 

"(Cannella) and Jalen both had solid days today," Malzahn said Saturday. "You can tell they are improving. One of the things (offensive coordinator) Chip (Lindsey) wanted to do was get the ball to the tight ends more and get them more involved. We've tried to do that the first three days."

Cannella was ranked as the nation's No. 2 junior college tight end in the 247Sports Composite when he signed with Auburn in December. He caught 29 passes for 449 yards and seven touchdowns last season at Scottsdale Community College and picked Auburn over Texas and Maryland.

Chandler Cox, Auburn's returning starter at H-back, has also been impressed with Cannella early on.

"I expect him to be really good catching the ball," Cox said on Tuesday. "I think that he's going to be really good at that. I haven't been able to see too much of him playing because he just got here, but I'm excited about him. I know he's ready to compete and ready to get practice going.

"I really like him as a person too. That's important for me personally. He has a good head on his shoulders and he's part of our little film room. I like him. He's a good kid."

Looking fwd to his talents and hoping we are a passing machine this year. Just a lot of potential if it comes together. 

Archived