experimenting with JF III at WR

aubiefifty

Auburn experimenting with John Franklin III at wide receiver

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

John Franklin III has expressed willingness to change positions headed into his senior season. Through one week of spring practice, the wheels have been set in motion for that to become a reality.

Franklin worked with Auburn's quarterbacks during the team's third spring practice on Saturday, which was the Tigers' first day in pads, but he also got reps with the receiving corps, according to coach Gus Malzahn.

"He hasn't got much but we'll give him an opportunity and his attitude is great, he's wanting to help the team any way he can," Malzahn said.

Although Franklin is seeing time at receiver, Malzahn reiterated that he was "primarily" with the quarterbacks and is still being given an opportunity to compete for the starting quarterback job alongside.

With new offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey wanting to narrow down the competition at some point this spring, however, Franklin's days at in the backfield could be numbered as he continues to see time at receiver.

Malzahn said on the first day of spring practice that Franklin would "start out" with the quarterbacks during the first two days of practice, but running back Kerryon Johnson said Saturday that Franklin has been getting work at receiver all week. In a limited amount of time, Johnson has been impressed with what he has seen from Franklin at the new position.

"I think he's going to be very good," Johnson said. "Just for him, like you said, to have the limited time, the things that he's done the past two or three days, I mean, it just makes you realize how good of an athlete he can be and how good of an athlete he already is. Obviously, you can't just go to receiver and be an expert.

"He still has to learn things. He still has to perfect it, but with that flexibility, the options are endless."

Any way to create a separate spot for the 100s of articles posted here very week?  I've stopped coming to this forum because 90 percent of the topics are articles. I already don't go to AL.com for a reason... (no offense fifty...appreciate your input here)

Archived