Mizzou Question

au302

Guys I have a few questions. I didn't watch the game today due to prior obligations. I want to know what adjustments we need to make against Mizzou to ensure that we beat them again Wednesday. 78 points for Mizzou is extremely high for them, and I just don't see them scoring that many again. But you never know, and I'd really hate to see us lose to them after we just beat them. So if anyone could just let me know what adjustments we need to make I'd really appreciate that. WDE!

36 minutes ago, au302 said:

Guys I have a few questions. I didn't watch the game today due to prior obligations. I want to know what adjustments we need to make against Mizzou to ensure that we beat them again Wednesday. 78 points for Mizzou is extremely high for them, and I just don't see them scoring that many again. But you never know, and I'd really hate to see us lose to them after we just beat them. So if anyone could just let me know what adjustments we need to make I'd really appreciate that. WDE!

My only observation is that any team that AU plays should (and usually does) score a lot of points.  We shoot quickly and the opposition mostly out rebounds us for the misses... so they will get a lot of opportunities to score.  In my view, it's a matter of percentages...If we are hitting from the field....we should be able to outscore them....if not...then possibly not.

This may sound silly but I don't like how we only have 30 mins to warm up after the first game. For a team that relies on shooting we probably need longer. Mizzou plays good defense and shoots pretty poorly so that may play into their favor. We'll also need Dunans to play well again and someone else to step up if Heron doesn't play as well, which it's hard to play as well as he did today so it's unlikely he does it again 

4 hours ago, au302 said:

We mixed up playing man and zone defense, and I thought we got smoked playing zone. Mizzou shot better than usual from 3 today, which seems to be a habit for this Auburn defense. IMO, I think going back to more man with an occasional switch to zone to keep Mizzou off balanced rather than playing sustained minutes in a 2-3 would be a good adjustment. Offensively, we just need to work the ball inside more, either directly to Wiley or off the dribble. We killed them in scoring in the paint all day and out rebounded them. That needs to happen again Wednesday. 

3 hours ago, au302 said:

This may sound silly but I don't like how we only have 30 mins to warm up after the first game. For a team that relies on shooting we probably need longer. Mizzou plays good defense and shoots pretty poorly so that may play into their favor. We'll also need Dunans to play well again and someone else to step up if Heron doesn't play as well, which it's hard to play as well as he did today so it's unlikely he does it again 

Really?  Have you even watched Auburn play this year?  Heron has been one of the most consistent players we have ever had.  He has scored double digit points in all but one game this season.  There's abolutely nothing that points to him not playing well. 

6 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Really?  Have you even watched Auburn play this year?  Heron has been one of the most consistent players we have ever had.  He has scored double digit points in all but one game this season.  There's abolutely nothing that points to him not playing well. 

I didn't say I don't think he'll play well, I said it's unlikely he plays as well as he did today, which was nearly flawless. Only one missed field goal, 20 points. I'm sure he'll play well again, but I doubt he's gonna only miss one of his shots. 

14 hours ago, au302 said:

I didn't say I don't think he'll play well, I said it's unlikely he plays as well as he did today, which was nearly flawless. Only one missed field goal, 20 points. I'm sure he'll play well again, but I doubt he's gonna only miss one of his shots. 

Clearly, he's likely to miss more than one shot, but good grief, he leads the team in scoring by a HUGE margin.  He's scored 470 points this year.  That means Heron has AVERAGED 15 points a game.  He's played consistently well all season long and will continue to do so.

3 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Clearly, he's likely to miss more than one shot, but good grief, he leads the team in scoring by a HUGE margin.  He's scored 470 points this year.  That means Heron has AVERAGED 15 points a game.  He's played consistently well all season long and will continue to do so.

I'm not disputing that, not trying to disagree with you here either. I'm expecting him to score 15-20 on Wednesday. 

We played an unusual amount of zone vs Mizzou this past game. Even though we aren't great defensively, this played in to it. I think we are best in man to man, mixing in the zone at times is great, but only with the second unit of Dunnans, Johnson and Heron at the guard spots. 

4 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

We played an unusual amount of zone vs Mizzou this past game. Even though we aren't great defensively, this played in to it. I think we are best in man to man, mixing in the zone at times is great, but only with the second unit of Dunnans, Johnson and Heron at the guard spots. 

I thought we were pretty bad in the zone when we stayed in it for extended periods. There were a few possessions where we alternated on each possession, and I thought we looked pretty good. When they knew the zone was coming, they seemed to pick it apart.

1 minute ago, boomstick said:

I thought we were pretty bad in the zone when we stayed in it for extended periods. There were a few possessions where we alternated on each possession, and I thought we looked pretty good. When they knew the zone was coming, they seemed to pick it apart.

Dunans was actually quite effective at the top of the zone, disrupting them and getting a few steals/deflections. We did stay in it too long, and when Harper was in it, he struggled with communication. Like I said, I would like to see the second unit get in it a bit, just to alter the opposing team's offense at times. 

Mizzou also hit quite a few deep contested 3s early in that game to prevent us from really running away from them. 

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

Mizzou also hit quite a few deep contested 3s early in that game to prevent us from really running away from them. 

I don't see that happening again, at least I hope not. I believe Jordan Geist hit like 4 of 6 threes, most likely not going to happen again. But we may not shoot it as well as we did either I guess

14 hours ago, au302 said:

I don't see that happening again, at least I hope not. I believe Jordan Geist hit like 4 of 6 threes, most likely not going to happen again. But we may not shoot it as well as we did either I guess

That's my biggest concern. I always assume teams are going to have good/great shooting nights against us, and I always worry that our shots won't fall.

We are playing for a possible NIT slot....Mizz is playing for a coach who just got fired in his 3rd season.   So who will the most motivated?   

I'm betting on AU.

27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

We are playing for a possible NIT slot....Mizz is playing for a coach who just got fired in his 3rd season.   So who will the most motivated?   

I'm betting on AU.

We're also playing with much more pressure than Mizzou. I still think we win this game, but we have a whole lot more to lose tonight than they do. 

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

We're also playing with much more pressure than Mizzou. I still think we win this game, but we have a whole lot more to lose tonight than they do. 

Yep. I think we win but it will at least be close for a while. We need to jump on them quick and hope they don't keep it close by hitting contested threes like they did Saturday

If we put them in a hole early they could be finally give in and just get to the off-season as soon as they can. Heres to hoping that is the case.

T

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

If we put them in a hole early they could be finally give in and just get to the off-season as soon as they can. Heres to hoping that is the case.

These guys need to dress in black crepe....their fans have abandoned them, their coach was fired before his 3rd year was over and they are at the bottom of the league.    

If AU loses to this pitiful bunch there will be no excuse or explanation that will stand scrutiny. JMO

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

T

These guys need to dress in black crepe....their fans have abandoned them, their coach was fired before his 3rd year was over and they are at the bottom of the league.    

If AU loses to this pitiful bunch there will be no excuse or explanation that will stand scrutiny. JMO

Yup and we are much better than them down to the very last man even before you even get to all those other things going on in the Mizzou bball world. I am fully expecting a victory tonight!

19 hours ago, Tiger said:

Yup and we are much better than them down to the very last man even before you even get to all those other things going on in the Mizzou bball world. I am fully expecting a victory tonight!

Well, ^^^ this guy is an idiot

42 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Well, ^^^ this guy is an idiot

Absolutely not. Your statement was 100% correct.

15 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Absolutely not. Your statement was 100% correct.

I am just so bummed about last night. Not the best vibe to end the day on. Ugh.

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I am just so bummed about last night. Not the best vibe to end the day on. Ugh.

No kidding. I was looking forward to a rematch of AU vs Ole Miss because it's really hard to beat a team 3 times in a season, as AU found out. The NIT was so very much in their grasp and I think beating OM in the tourney would have sealed it. At least if they got left off, it would have felt like they deserved to be there.

30 minutes ago, jared52 said:

No kidding. I was looking forward to a rematch of AU vs Ole Miss because it's really hard to beat a team 3 times in a season, as AU found out. The NIT was so very much in their grasp and I think beating OM in the tourney would have sealed it. At least if they got left off, it would have felt like they deserved to be there.

Sad part is I thought we had a great chance to beat Ole Miss after they eeked out wins against us this year. Hopefully this disappointment can turn to motivation during the off-season. I'm not terribly high on going to the CBI. Anything that can be perceived as a reward to end the season could be more harmful than getting a few additional practices would be helpful. Although I'm sure the seniors would love to keep playing. 

Archived