Malik Miller 'looking good' in return

aubiefifty

Auburn's Malik Miller 'looking good' in return from injury

Wesley Sinor | wsinor@al.com

After just 16 carries in three games, Malik Miller's debut season was cut short.

The running back suffered a left knee injury in Auburn's Week 5 win over Louisiana-Monroe and was sidelined for the remainder of the year. He was able to return to the practice field as Auburn prepared for Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl, but the Tigers ultimately decided to seek a medical redshirt for him.

Auburn kicked off spring practices last week, and two of Miller's teammates believe he is off to a good start.

"The main thing about a lower-body injury is getting your confidence back in it, and I think he's put it behind him," said rising junior Kerryon Johnson, who also missed time due to injury last season. "He's already been through it once, and I think he's looking very good.

"Hopefully he can bring another set of wheels to our backfield, because it's the SEC and injuries happen like they did last year, so we have more people that we can count on."

Which RB had the 'best day' during Auburn's 1st practice in pads?

Which RB had the 'best day' during Auburn's 1st practice in pads?

Auburn returns three experienced running back to its backfield in Kamryn Pettway, Kerryon Johnson and Kam Martin.

As a team, Auburn rushed for 271.3 yards per game last season, which ranked sixth in the nation and first in the SEC.

Miller entered the 2016 season as Auburn's third-string running back and appeared in the team's win over Arkansas State, LSU and ULM. Miller recorded 69 yards and one touchdown prior to his injury with a yards-per-carry average of 4.3. 

Auburn to seek medical redshirt for freshman Malik Miller

Auburn to seek medical redshirt for freshman Malik Miller

The 5-foot-11, 229-pound Miller injured his left knee in Auburn's 58-7 win over ULM Oct. 1 and later had surgery.

As a senior in high school in 2015, Miller racked up 713 yards and 15 touchdowns in eight games.

"I think Malik Miller will have a bright future," said returning Auburn starter Kamryn Pettway. "He's a hard-working kid, dedicated to the game. I think he's going to be just fine."

Archived