What's changing for running backs

aubiefifty

What's changing for Auburn's running backs under offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey?

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Gus Malzahn brought in Chip Lindsey back in January to take full control of Auburn's offense. While there won't be sweeping changes to the system the Tigers have run the last four seasons, Malzahn said Lindsey would "add some bells and whistles and some flair to what we're doing."

One of those changes to the Tigers' offensive philosophy involves the running backs.

"There has been an emphasis throwing the ball to our running backs out of the backfield a little bit more than we've done in the past," Malzahn said. "I know they're working hard doing that; obviously, it's just three days into it but coach (Tim) Horton and Coach Lindsey's been working hard with the routes and the things out of the backfield."

Auburn has a track record of churning out productive running backs over the years, and that hasn't changed during Malzahn's tenure. Auburn has produced at least one 1,000-yard rusher out of the backfield in each of the last eight seasons, with running back Kamryn Pettway eclipsing the mark last season with 1,224 yards on the ground.

Although Auburn's running backs have been successful on the ground, helping the program produce a rushing attack that has finished in the top two of the SEC three times since Malzahn took over -- twice leading the conference in 2013 and 2016 while also leading the nation in 2013 -- the running backs have not had as big of a role in the passing game.

"I think it probably will be (the biggest difference)," running back Kerryon Johnon said. "It's still early, so things are still evolving, we're still putting in things, still refining things and still getting better. I think that will probably ultimately be the biggest difference."

Last season, Auburn's running backs combined for 21 receptions for 191 yards and no touchdowns out of the backfield. It was the second-fewest receptions for the Tigers' running backs during Malzahn's four seasons, ranking just behind the group's 16 catches for 171 yards and one touchdown in 2013.

Auburn's running backs totaled 37 receptions for 491 yards and one touchdown in 2015, and 23 for 239 yards and a touchdown in 2014.

Of the position's 21 receptions last season, Johnson accounted for 17 of them for 125 yards while finishing seventh on the team in receiving. Pettway and Kam Martin finished the year with two receptions each.

That number should grow in 2017 as Lindsey looks to open up Auburn's passing game more than in previous seasons. During his lone season as Arizona State's offensive coordinator in 2016, Lindsey's running backs accounted for 63 receptions for 615 yards and a touchdown. Sun Devils running back Kalen Ballage was the team's third-leading receiver with 44 catches for 469 yards and a score.

How Chip Lindsey is changing Auburn's offense this spring

How Chip Lindsey is changing Auburn's offense this spring

Spring practice will be the first indicator as to how much Auburn's offense will change under new offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey.

Johnson, who won Alabama's Mr. Football award at Madison Academy in 2014 and has proven to be a versatile asset in the passing game, is looking forward to the running backs being utilized more in that regard. During his senior year at Madison Academy, Johnson rushed for 1,659 yards and 25 touchdowns, but he also caught 22 passes for 598 yards and eight scores.

"I definitely enjoy it," Johnson said. "Like you said, playing high school receiver really helped me translate my hands to college, so just I think running back has been a staple at Auburn University for a long time, so I believe the more chances we get to make plays, the better."

It's a sentiment shared by Pettway, who had just two receptions for 14 yards last season but said he likes the idea of "being able to showcase my hands." It's an area that, while seldom displayed last season, Johnson believes is an underrated aspect of Pettway's game.

"Pettway, I think to me, nobody really got a chance to see it; he didn't get the ball a lot, but I think Pettway already has pretty good hands, obviously working that every day," Johnson said. "Now with the opportunity to get the ball more, we pay even more attention to it. I think he already has pretty good hands, especially for a guy his size, you don't expect him to catch the ball as well as he does. His drops are very limited."

This will be huge for KJ. Looks very possible KP will rush for over 1000, and I would bet KJ has well over 1000 total yards. He lined up at WR often in high school. 

This also makes me want the RB from Birmingham even more. He is huge and has great hands. 

12 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

We're rushing for tons of yards but can't throw to a WR to save our life. Let's work on that first.

If only there were a way that we could help the WRs get more open more often by spreading out coverage...

Also, CLL's offense at ASU had 2 WRs with over 50 catches and an RB with over 40. Auburn's leading receiver had 31 catches and only 2 other guys over 20. KJ led RBs with 17.

This offense will likely split that difference, which would still leave plenty of balls to go around. 

3 minutes ago, oposssum said:

KJ will hopefully look like Matt Forte this year.  

If CLL's philosophy translates to this roster, and if the other guys do their jobs, I don't think that's an unreasonable hope at all. Kalen Ballage, RB2 at ASU last season, had 126 rushes for 536 yds and 44 catches for 469. KJ is perfectly suited for that kind of production. 

13 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

We're rushing for tons of yards but can't throw to a WR to save our life. Let's work on that first.

I do like the offense to include more passing with the RBs...but only if the schemes and plays they develop are more detailed to allow more deception as to when the RB gets the pass or where he receives it.

I never understood GM's passing offense for the RBs only involved the RB in the backfield and head out to the right or left of the QB to receive a pass in the flat with either no OL to help and only relying on the RB to break tackles. There was NO deception as to who might receive that pass or where the RB would go to when receiving it. We just were too weak in that part of the passing game.

I havent watched CL's offensive videos to see how he using the short passing game..but the numbers seem to indicate a much more deceptive and intricate passing game with RBs...

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

If only there were a way that we could help the WRs get more open more often by spreading out coverage...

There is.. It's called a TE

Archived