Neyland Stadium Renovations

RunInRed

Another SEC school dropping $100M w/o blinking ... and this is just Phase I of a multi-phase plan expected to be complete by 2021.

The first phase of that plan — a $106 million self-funded project featuring Concourse One expansion and renovation, south field wall movement, visiting team locker room relocation, kitchen and commissary additions, lower west bowl infrastructure rebuild, hospitality area upgrades, upper bowl handrail augmentation, electrical transformer replacement, and storm sewer line repair — is set to begin after the 2018 season.

At least two additional phases — which will feature more Concourse One renovation, concourse expansion, a team team and recruiting room, an updated halting meeting room, an improved letter-winners' lounge, improvements to the Southeast and Southwest entries, new video boards, ramp cladding, plaza completion and more — will be required to finish the latest round of renovations, and Currie told GoVols247 in an exclusive Monday interview that the end goal is simple to say but less than simple to achieve.

Currie said Neyland Stadium’s centennial celebration in 2021 needs to celebrate a stadium will be ready to stand strong for another century.

http://tennessee.247sports.com/Article/247Sports-Exclusive-New-Tennessee-Vols-athletic-director-John-Cu-51638286

6_5165527.jpg

6_5165537.jpg

6_5165540.jpg

Yeah. So, as soon as we bring our capacity to 100k, our work will have just begun, apparently?  

Not a big fan of our own plans to tack an amorphous edifice onto the corner of JHS either. 

2 hours ago, PatBoCamRob said:

Yeah. So, as soon as we bring our capacity to 100k, our work will have just begun, apparently?  

Not a big fan of our own plans to tack an amorphous edifice onto the corner of JHS either. 

I'm of the opinion that the addition is needed, and it at the very least gets the ball rolling on upgrades to JHS and it opens up a few wallets.  I'm a huge fan of needed upgrades, even if they don't look aesthetically pleasing in the initial phases.  

If I had my preferences, I'd rather blow it out and spend the mega bucks like so many other programs have done and are now doing.  Do it all at once, do it FIRST CLASS.  But that's just not the way the Auburn Administration has chosen to tackle this thing.  So we are left with piece-mill improvements that may not be consistent and pleasing to the eye.  At this point we fans take what we can get I guess.

Put the pressure on 'em RIR!

Bombard the Administration just so they are reminded where AU stands in the facility wars in our own conference.

An addition would make JHS home games for UGA and UAT during down years.  

We do need some upgrades though.  I'm sure our AD of the Year will get on it quickly.  

4 minutes ago, AUFlyer99 said:

We do need some upgrades though.  I'm sure our AD of the Year will get on it quickly.  

He's been trying for at least 2 years.  The money people keep saying "no".

A great deal of the renovation is critical to keep that dump from caving in on itself.  There is an internal battle raging to keep the necessary work from reducing seating capacity below 100,000.  The big orange talking heads stress that it's "critical to the psyche of the fan base".

This is ludicrous. I love football, and I love Auburn, but cannot imagine that kind of money spent on a sport when our students/alumni are up to their eyes in loan debt (myself included).

Color me happy with the current JHS. It has grass and lights.

/rant

If you are going to piece mill it, you have a master plan and each project fits in the master plan toward the overall JHS upgrade.  Has there been a master plan rolled out with a vision of the overall JHS upgrade?  The north and south end zones need to be enclosed in some manner.  The north end zone could have an upper deck added to form a horseshoe when the additional capacity is needed. 

Auburn pretty much gets in its own way most of the time IMO

I lived in Knoxville for almost 10 years. Their football stadium is a rust bucket. In addition, they jam people into benches that are too small for normal human beings. Their seats are only 16 inches wide. This allows them to brag about their huge capacity. Additionally, the upper deck area is at such an angle, you almost feel like you will fall forward when you stand up. 

I'll take our stadium over theirs every day of the week. 

Let's be the first University start a GoFundMe site for Stadium Renovations. ???

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Let's be the first University start a GoFundMe site for Stadium Renovations. ???

What say ye a4e.............................come on

5 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I lived in Knoxville for almost 10 years. Their football stadium is a rust bucket. In addition, they jam people into benches that are too small for normal human beings. Their seats are only 16 inches wide. This allows them to brag about their huge capacity. Additionally, the upper deck area is at such an angle, you almost feel like you will fall forward when you stand up. 

I'll take our stadium over theirs every day of the week. 

Never been to a game there but I've heard that about their seat width being more narrow than typical seating. Maybe they think that hideous shade of orange makes you look thinner so they figured why not. :-\ 

Archived