Practice Notes 03/07/2017

aufan57

53 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Probably taking it easy on him in spring would be my guess. They know how important he is.

No Slayton either.  None of this spring starting etc means anything as far as who will line up next fall 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not even sure you have to throw a pass to jfIII. Just put his speed in motion and he's at least a decoy that will freeze one or two defenders

Auburn’s wide receivers are getting a clean slate with new offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey.

It’s a much-needed fresh start for a group that’s struggled in recent years beyond the revolving door at quarterback.

Lindsey wants to identify the offense’s top playmakers by the end of spring practice, but it’s been a slow process with Auburn’s top two returning receivers — Darius Slayton (hernia) and Kyle Davis (personal reasons) — out for at least the first two weeks of camp.

“Hoping he can get back as quick as he can,” Lindsey said of Slayton. “I’m excited to see him on the field. Obviously I’ve seen him on film but haven’t had the chance to work with him yet.”

With Slayton and Davis out, Auburn went with some unexpected combinations at Tuesday’s practice.

The first team receivers for an 11-on-11 period included Eli Stove, Will Hastings, Nate Craig-Myers and Jason Smith, a group that combined for 41 receptions in 2016 with Stove accounting for 23 of them.

The second team offense featured walk-on James Owens Moss at receiver.

“It’s given some opportunity for other guys to get a lot of work, that’s for sure,” Lindsey said.

While Lindsey is reluctant to identify standouts — “I’d say different guys each day” — it’s not because he finds the overall talent of the group lacking.

“It’s a good group as a whole,” Lindsey said. “Obviously we have some things to improve on and that young group played in the SEC early last year so they grew up fast. At the same time I think this is a big spring for them and their development.”

It’s a position group that’s also motivated by the changes Lindsey is implementing to the offense.

Auburn isn’t abandoning the run, but Lindsey was hired to resuscitate the team’s passing attack, which vanished for long stretches last season.

“That's every receiver's dream,” Auburn receiver Nate Craig-Myers said. “Your eyes light up. We're a run team so when you hear the ball's coming to the outside, the perimeter, it feels good because now we feel like we can makes plays.”

Craig-Myers said he “loves” the offensive schemes Lindsey is putting in place this spring including some new-look RPOs.

The focus for the receivers for spring is finding the consistency they lacked last season.

“Their deal is they have to continue to put good days back to back together, and by the end of the spring hopefully we’ll be much improved,” Lindsey said.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/college/sec/auburn-university/war-eagle-extra/article137085413.html

Fans might have turned the page on the Sean White era, but Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey hasn’t.

Lindsey made it clear Tuesday night during his first solo press conference that he isn’t going to name a starter until he gets an opportunity to evaluate a healthy Sean White.

“I want to see Sean,” Lindsey said. “Sean’s made a lot of plays here. When he’s been healthy he’s been really effective. I don’t think we’re even close to even discussing anything like that yet (naming a starter).”

White participated in light throwing drills Tuesday with the other quarterbacks, but is on a “pitch count” according to Lindsey as he rehabs the broken forearm he suffered in the Sugar Bowl.

“He's done a lot of footwork, a lot of drill work, a lot of stuff without throwing,” Lindsey said. “But we've got him on a pitch count with rehab and so forth. We're going to make sure we follow that.”

The team isn’t discussing a timetable for White to be fully cleared by the team’s medical staff. White hoped to be ready at the start of spring, but coach Gus Malzahn has consistently laid out a much longer timetable.

“I’m just hoping he gets to throw some,” Malzahn said in January.

One element White brings to the table that’s currently missing from the crowded quarterback field is experience. Stidham started a handful of games as a true freshman with Baylor, but White has 16 starts under his belt – a stat Lindsey clearly values.

“Sean's been great,” Lindsey said. “He's had some limited throwing on the side, kind of rehabbing and stuff, but he's dialed in and helping me coach the young quarterbacks, which I think is important. Sean's played a lot. He's got a lot of knowledge and a lot of foundation to lean on.”

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/college/sec/auburn-university/war-eagle-extra/article137073343.html

1 hour ago, AUinGA44 said:

In those 20 minutes he caught his only career touchdown in the National Championship game vs Oregon. 

We saw bigger improvements from that position last year than we'd seen since Kodi was a player, let the man do his job.

Sorry guys . Bigger improvements based off what? Burns has a long way to go. I just hate our receivers are being coached by a guy who is learning on the job. Just an opinion. I hope the receivers are seeking outside coaching as well . Thank God the group has a massive amount of talent. 

Smh at the fact that Gus will undoubtedly try to work in a wr pass play for franklin..

I hope that we are able to utilize the flexibility of our players and use different formations with the same personnel group. For example, with KJ, Cox, and Sal we could realistically go from 2 back, TE, 2WR set to 1 back 4 WR set without substitution and HUNH. That could really confuse the D and create a mismatch or 2.

KJ can play RB or WR

KP can play RB or HB

Cox can play RB, HB, TE or Q....I kid

Sal can play HB, TE, or WR

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I hope that we are able to utilize the flexibility of our players and use different formations with the same personnel group. For example, with KJ, Cox, and Sal we could realistically go from 2 back, TE, 2WR set to 1 back 4 WR set without substitution and HUNH. That could really confuse the D and create a mismatch or 2.

KJ can play RB or WR

KP can play RB or HB

This. Great post. This . So many options..Sal is my pick for offensive player of the year . This guy is a nightmare for defenses.

Hastings keeps impressing coaches. Apparently being super quick, running good routes and having good hands allows a walk-on to get some PT. Stidham apparently liked him as he threw to him twice. I don't understand why some people haven't seen that he is a player. There is a reason he beats out players that were rated higher he gets open and catches the ball. I expect that when the other two players return he may move down to second team but I wouldn't bet on it. Every QB needs a possession receiver he can rely on.

13 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Wow.  Based on several of those "reported" personnel groupings, I think we might be better off not having spring practice.  Wow.

Don't sweat it.  Chip needs to see everyone in action. You can bet, by the end of Spring, the groupings will seem far more familiar.

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Stidham apparently liked him as he threw to him twice.

Three times... Stidham was wide on one pass (cue the falling sky).

5 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I don't understand why some people haven't seen that he is a player. There is a reason he beats out players that were rated higher he gets open and catches the ball.

Because he's not a prototypical football player and, when he's on the field, someone they personally like more is not.

13 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

No Slayton either.  None of this spring starting etc means anything as far as who will line up next fall 

Exactly. We have some key potential playmakers absent with the WRs. Spring is a time where we can mix and match. I would not read too much into this.

13 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

KJ can play RB or WR

KP can play RB or HB

As long as only QBs play QB, and the 2nd QB only comes in bc of injury or blowouts.

30 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

As long as only QBs play QB, and the 2nd QB only comes in bc of injury or blowouts.

One of those things is not like the others.

12 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Hastings keeps impressing coaches. Apparently being super quick, running good routes and having good hands allows a walk-on to get some PT. Stidham apparently liked him as he threw to him twice. I don't understand why some people haven't seen that he is a player. There is a reason he beats out players that were rated higher he gets open and catches the ball. I expect that when the other two players return he may move down to second team but I wouldn't bet on it. Every QB needs a possession receiver he can rely on.

Too light. He kept getting washed out against LSU. Disappointed he showed up in spring even lighter. 

14 minutes ago, mikeholiday said:

Too light. He kept getting washed out against LSU. Disappointed he showed up in spring even lighter. 

I saw him a few weeks ago scarfing down a burger and fries at Burger Fi, so I know the kid is trying to add some meat on his bones. Some guys just have too fast of a metabolism, 

i like Hastings as a practice WR,  but he doesn't create a mis-match from an offensive standpoint that  NCM does physically.       I dont care if NCM might take plays off but when he is on the field he demands respect at a talent / ability level.     Gus doesnt see it the same way i do.  he values people who do exactly what he wants above talent / potential and too much reliance on his system. 

17 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I'm fine with it so long as they don't throw a lob pass to him again...

On 3/7/2017 at 8:18 PM, JDUBB4AU said:

Cody Burns:"oh boy we got work to do "

yea weren't you a receiver for maybe twenty minutes in college??? 

Rodney Garner was an Offensive Lineman at Auburn, yet now coaches Defensive Linemen into the NFL, so....

40 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Rodney Garner was an Offensive Lineman at Auburn, yet now coaches Defensive Linemen into the NFL, so....

True, but Garner has 20 + years in defensive coaching experience. Maybe I should have clarified my comment about Burns more. I don't dislike Burns. JMO AU is too big a job for him at this stage in his career.  Burns is still a GA to me. Burns will be a good coach eventually, AU isn't a stepping stone if you understand what I mean. I hope Burns turns out to recruit like Craig and coach like Darryl Drake from the Arizona Cardinals. 

1 hour ago, JDUBB4AU said:

True, but Garner has 20 + years in defensive coaching experience. Maybe I should have clarified my comment about Burns more. I don't dislike Burns. JMO AU is too big a job for him at this stage in his career.  Burns is still a GA to me. Burns will be a good coach eventually, AU isn't a stepping stone if you understand what I mean. I hope Burns turns out to recruit like Craig and coach like Darryl Drake from the Arizona Cardinals. 

Maybe Kodi did get his position sooner than he should have but with the state of our passing game (I use the term loosely) it's hard to assess his effectiveness at this stage in my opinion. Hopefully, Gus will truly turn the reins over the CCL and we will throw a lot more. If that happens, it will be easier to know if Burns is earning his money or not. I know recruits are increasingly speaking highly of him lately.  WDE

8 hours ago, auskip07 said:

i like Hastings as a practice WR,  but he doesn't create a mis-match from an offensive standpoint that  NCM does physically.       I dont care if NCM might take plays off but when he is on the field he demands respect at a talent / ability level.     Gus doesnt see it the same way i do.  he values people who do exactly what he wants above talent / potential and too much reliance on his system. 

Physical mis-match doesn't mean jack if you don't get open and catch the ball. I like NCM and I am giving him the benefit of the doubt because of nagging injuries but the reality is Hastings produced more last year. Ask bama about walk-on wide receivers (Hunter Renfrow).  I am not saying Hastings will be all world but to many fans look at height weight and 40 yard times and not what the player does on the field. In the article they mentioned that Stidham threw 3 passes during the drill all to Hastings he caught two and Stidham missed him on one. There was a reason Stidham threw to him he was open.

I don't expect Hastings to be a starter but he is so quick into his cuts that he gets open and so far he has shown very good hands. I think you will still see him getting on the field and making possession type catches.

As far as starting well two of the more gifted wr's are out. But Hastings is a player and actually the things he can do isn't normal, he is an above average athlete. But ncm was hurt alot of last year, I don't think Hastings was. Also just match ups, Hastings isn't going up against the best corners or what not. But I don't want to take anything away from him. But I do agree, don't throw him lob balls in the endzone. I don't care how big of a Gus fan or Hastings fan you may be.....that's freaking stupid

Archived