Practice Notes 03/07/2017

aufan57

Kodi will be fine.  There's a reason all these offensive bases head coaches have hired him.  They see something in him.  Will he be an elite recruiter?  That's TBD but to me he seemed to have a pretty good plan bringing along the young guys last year.  

For all the Craig lovers that feel Kodi will never be able to carry his jock... well Kodi is coaching on the field and Craig had to run back to his daddy Jimbo for and off the field position.  

And I don't have a problem with Craig just over his I over team attitude.  Momma called he came home and coaching was horrible and recruiting great.  He got us a great class of WRs now let a real coach coach them up.  Go ask LSU fans if they will miss his WR coaching...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ronin said:

So you didn't like the hire.  It's done.  If you think he's going to be a good coach eventually, why not sit back and enjoy watching it happen?  Sure, this is a message board.  And I know this is a message board.  We've got to have stuff to talk about.  A suggestion would be to point out issues you've seen with the receivers that Kodi needs to work on rather than just bitch about how he shouldn't have been hired.  Extra points if the issues were created by Kodi rather than just not fixed fast enough for your liking.

Ronin I got one issue and it's the most important of all...Catch the ball. That's it ... nothing more.... catch the ball ... on a ten yard drag catch the ball. On a 50 yard go route catch the ball .. I want AU to be a school who puts WRs in the draft. That's where coaching starts.  Also I can bitch all I want and you can too. Bring back the Cox spin a rooney... would love to see the globe of death ....... 

20 hours ago, auskip07 said:

and i dont care how quick you are when you go against a more physically gifted corner that will out muscle you on the line and disrupt your route....  see the bama game.  You wont get anywhere.    

You can put the receiver off line of scrimmage or in motion to counteract that. Hunter Renfrow from Clemson is almost same size as Hastings 1 inch taller and about 10 pounds heavier he was able to beat bama corners all night. Wes Welker is shorter than both but a little thicker than both and he played against the best in the NFL not even drafted out of college. Maybe Hastings couldn't beat bama corners because play call wasn't designed to utilize his skills like Clemson did for Renfrow against the same corners. He had 10 catches against those big physical corners.  I am not saying Hastings is a great receiver but so far he has beaten out people with measurable things like height, weight, 40 yard that say they are better because of his unique skill which is elite quickness which is different then speed. 

Our offense in the past was definitely developed for big plays, but as a corner I have to say you have to throw long balls to create space. I don't care if you don't even connect (connecting helps of course) but if I literally don't have to worry about you throwing deep, you make me look like an all star db. 

Even in games where sw played very well the few misses one would usually be a pick that a corner would drop a pick. And I don't know why but the grace of God there were a bunch of times they would just drop them, and I'm talking the very short passes I.e. Look at our first or second series against arky. And I think against miss st and lsu as well. I may be off on one of the other games, I know I'm not the arky game though because I remember falling out on the floor saying thank you, thank you, thank you because that was a pick 6 all the way and that would've started the momentum wrong. 

But anyway I don't look at that as his fault, the play calling has to change from guys sitting on routes 90% of the game. Especially when you don't use your tight end in your offense

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Our offense in the past was definitely developed for big plays, but as a corner I have to say you have to throw long balls to create space. I don't care if you don't even connect (connecting helps of course) but if I literally don't have to worry about you throwing deep, you make me look like an all star db. 

Even in games where sw played very well the few misses one would usually be a pick that a corner would drop a pick. And I don't know why but the grace of God there were a bunch of times they would just drop them, and I'm talking the very short passes I.e. Look at our first or second series against arky. And I think against miss st and lsu as well. I may be off on one of the other games, I know I'm not the arky game though because I remember falling out on the floor saying thank you, thank you, thank you because that was a pick 6 all the way and that would've started the momentum wrong. 

But anyway I don't look at that as his fault, the play calling has to change from guys sitting on routes 90% of the game. Especially when you don't use your tight end in your offense

I agree.   Was it no one respected SW's arm or our play calling as the DB was constantly able to  jump on the quick route.  

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

as a corner I have to say you have to throw long balls to create space. I don't care if you don't even connect (connecting helps of course) but if I literally don't have to worry about you throwing deep, you make me look like an all star db. 

I remember you saying that in the past and it's one reason I'm glad that JFIII is taking a crack at WR. I know that we have other guys who can go deep and maybe it's more about the QB's arm than the fast WR, but that's just where I see JFIII bringing something special to the table without risking much. The one thing we know he can do better than anyone else is run straight from one end of the field to the other in a hurry. If he catches a ball, great. If he doesn't, it's probably not a pick, and if it is it's not a super dangerous one, and no matter what the CB has to respect that and take his attention away from something else. 

Archived