quarterback competition continues

aubiefifty

Auburn quarterback competition expected to continue into fall camp

James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com

Auburn's quarterback competition should continue into fall camp.

Offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey wants to evaluate Sean White, who has been limited through the first four spring practices and expected to be for the remainder of spring, before naming a starter for the upcoming season.

Like Gus Malzahn, who said he would "seriously doubt" Auburn would name a starter at the end of spring, Lindsey doesn't think he'll make that call in five weeks.

"I want to see Sean," Lindsey said following Tuesday's practice. "Sean's made a lot of plays here. When he's been healthy he's been really effective. I don't think we're even close to even discussing anything like that yet."

Jarrett Stidham and Woody Barrett have been working with the first and second-team offenses during the early periods of practice each of the first two weeks of spring.

Lindsey has not formally eliminated any of the six quarterbacks from the position battle, though with White out and John Franklin III spending time at receiver, he said three are getting the majority of the reps.

"We're still evaluating them all to be honest with you," Lindsey said. "I think Jarrett, Woody and Malik (Willis) have started getting the bulk of a lot of our reps but at the same time we're not anywhere ready to say 'Hey we're going with these guys or whatever.' We're still trying to do that evaluation."

Lindsey said both White and Stidham have spent time working with the younger quarterbacks

"Those two older guys are a little bit more mature and have done a really good job with mentoring the young quarterbacks," Lindsey said. "I've enjoyed being around them and learning their personalities. I've enjoyed working with them so far."

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ouch. Not a single mention of Tyler Queen. I suppose I'll quit mentioning him now, too. 

Poor kid is getting the shaft from the media and the coaches. The only time I hear him mentioned is when they are captioning photos of him working with the other QBs.

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Poor kid is getting the shaft from the media and the coaches. The only time I hear him mentioned is when they are captioning photos of him working with the other QBs.

I honestly can't say if he's getting the shaft from the coaches. He really just might've fallen too far behind, being away from the field. And there's no shame in running behind the four guys ahead of him.

But no mention in a QB piece... yeesh

13 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I feel bad for him.  I read three or four articles about Auburns upcoming QB battle before spring practice and he wasn't even mentioned.  Tyler has become the 13th floor of quarterbacks.  I  hope he has a strong Spring.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I honestly can't say if he's getting the shaft from the coaches. He really just might've fallen too far behind, being away from the field. And there's no shame in running behind the four guys ahead of him.

All I meant by getting the shaft from the coaches is that they never seem to mention him in their interviews.  It was Stidham, Barrett, White, and Franklin and now it's Stidham, Barrett, White, and Willis... and sometimes Franklin, but never Queen.

1 minute ago, ToomersStreet said:

I feel bad for him.  I read three or four articles about Auburns upcoming QB battle before spring practice and he wasn't even mentioned.  Tyler has become the 13th floor of quarterbacks.  I  hope he has a strong Spring.

I hope he gets to hold the winning field goal kick in this year's national championship game... and that he gets to come back as a GA.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

All I meant by getting the shaft from the coaches is that they never seem to mention him in their interviews.  It was Stidham, Barrett, White, and Franklin and now it's Stidham, Barrett, White, and Willis... and sometimes Franklin, but never Queen.

Hmm. Good point. 

12 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I hope he gets to hold the winning field goal kick in this year's national championship game... and that he gets to come back as a GA.

I like this! 

23 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I like your optimism!

My biggest hope for this season is that coach Lindsey will be a great developer of our qb's.We seem to have upgraded the talent across the board and if he can coach them up we will be in good shape for years to come.

2 minutes ago, kd4au said:

My biggest hope for this season is that coach Lindsey will be a great developer of our qb's.We seem to have upgraded the talent across the board and if he can coach them up we will be in good shape for years to come.

He seems to be doing a good job already. I constantly see him teaching fundamentals to ALL of our QBs. I love it.

Just now, DAG said:

He seems to be doing a good job already. I constantly see him teaching fundamentals to ALL of our QBs. I love it.

Just want to see it on the field in real games before saying he is getting the job done.But I have high hopes.

Just now, kd4au said:

Just want to see it on the field in real games before saying he is getting the job done.But I have high hopes.

Yeah, hopefully, it transitions to the real game. but to be fair, this is on the players. But I understand you being cautious. 

A silver lining of White being hurt is the additional work Barrett is getting during these practices. With both Stidham's and White's history of injury, Barrett could very well see serious playing time this upcoming season.

34 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

A silver lining of White being hurt is the additional work Barrett is getting during these practices. With both Stidham's and White's history of injury, Barrett could very well see serious playing time this upcoming season.

Or the light could come on and he could put them both on the bench.  Isn't the off-season fun?

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I don't know where you could move him, but I wonder what other position he could play and see some playing time. Having played QB I would feel he's a pretty good athlete. I would feel he wants to play more than he wants to play a certain position.

Queen had tommy john surgery for anyone to think he was ever going to serious compete for the starting job after that is just wishful thinking. I know that surgery is not as serious as it is in baseball but its still a significant surgery for football.

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Queen had tommy john surgery for anyone to think he was ever going to serious compete for the starting job after that is just wishful thinking. I know that surgery is not as serious as it is in baseball but its still a significant surgery for football.

I thought pitchers usually had stronger arms after that surgery. Not true of quarterbacks, I guess? I really don't know much about it.

5 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Or the light could come on and he could put them both on the bench.  Isn't the off-season fun?

Yay! Rah!

Despite my rapture,

off-season is of necessity.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I thought pitchers usually had stronger arms after that surgery. Not true of quarterbacks, I guess? I really don't know much about it.

Some guys can bounce back from it and resume a normal career and never have any other after affects but just recently matt harvey has really struggled. The first full year you pitch is usually your best season then it seems to go downhill after that. harvey had a great first full season back but really struggled this past year and injuries crept back in the picture. Case by case basis I guess. He is just the first name that popped in my head.

45 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Some guys can bounce back from it and resume a normal career and never have any other after affects but just recently matt harvey has really struggled. The first full year you pitch is usually your best season then it seems to go downhill after that. harvey had a great first full season back but really struggled this past year and injuries crept back in the picture. Case by case basis I guess. He is just the first name that popped in my head.

Lol youre just babbling about something you know nothing about. TJ surgery is much rarer in QBs than pitchers. Arm motion is different. Many pitchers come back from that surgery every day; some dont. Your statements on Queen & his surgery recovery are totally baseless.

2 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

Lol youre just babbling about something you know nothing about. TJ surgery is much rarer in QBs than pitchers. Arm motion is different. Many pitchers come back from that surgery every day; some dont. Your statements on Queen & his surgery recovery are totally baseless.

He was a pitcher in High School. And that's when he first got hurt.

You're both right. 

I'm a huge Tyler Queen fan, also have great respect for his dad Shane.  TQ is one of those rare kids that sees the bigger picture...being the starting QB is not the ultimate destination for him.  I would predict he is on the path of his heart's desire.  He's going to be an awesome coach some day, and a man I would want my son (er, grandson) to play for.  This kind of selflessness is as necessary to the program as the heroics on the field, maybe more.

Archived