Spring Practice 2017 - Catching Up

RunInRed

I think I am the most excited for Malik.  For as young as he is, he looks good throwing the ball.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I think I am the most excited for Malik.  For as young as he is, he looks good throwing the ball.

While I echo your excitement, I thought he looked really rough... off target in the first drill and his footwork seemed awkward in the second.  But, he's been a college QB for less than a week, so I expect good things.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

While I echo your excitement, I thought he looked really rough... off target in the first drill and his footwork seemed awkward in the second.  But, he's been a college QB for less than a week, so I expect good things.

In the first drill? He threw it in stride. If anyone threw it off target it was definitely WB. It is a 20-second clip and he might've been in it for 4 seconds, how does he look really rough? Haha

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

In the first drill? He threw it in stride. If anyone threw it off target it was definitely WB. It is a 20-second clip and he might've been in it for 4 seconds, how does he look really rough? Haha

You do know that Woody is #1 and Malik is #14, right? In the first drill, Malik was the only one who threw a ball that was far enough off that it wasn't caught. In the drop back drill, it may be just his longer legs, but he just didn't feel comfortable in his steps like the other QBs... like he was having to think about it too much (it's the same feeling I get watching my wife's newer dance students, before the movements become natural to them).

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You do know that Woody is #1 and Malik is #14, right? In the first drill, Malik was the only one who threw a ball that was far enough off that it wasn't caught. In the drop back drill, it may be just his longer legs, but he just didn't feel comfortable in his steps like the other QBs... like he was having to think about it too much (it's the same feeling I get watching my wife's newer dance students, before the movements become natural to them).

Yes, you see the kid have to stop in stride once WB throws the ball? And the ball is thrown behind him. The kid just dropped the ball with MH. He literally threw it in the same position that JS threw it at. Iono man, we are just never going to agree  when it comes to the QB position.

And yes, SW did throw it the best.

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes, you see the kid have to stop in stride once WB throws the ball? And the ball is thrown behind him. The kid just dropped the ball with MH. He literally threw it in the same position that JS threw it at. Iono man, we are just never going to agree  when it comes to the QB position.

Maybe not... I still think Malik threw it wider than Stidham. It's hard to tell for sure from the angle. I do get your point with Woody, but I like that he actually hit him with the ball... less chance of a drop.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Maybe not... I still think Malik threw it wider than Stidham. It's hard to tell for sure from the angle. I do get your point with Woody, but I like that he actually hit him with the ball... less chance of a drop.

It should be perfectly placed like SW. Ironically, he looked the best passing it haha

Just now, DAG said:

It should be perfectly placed like SW. Ironically, he looked the best passing it haha

Maybe it's just because he's more well rested than the rest of them. Of course, we're judging from a sample of one, which is kind if silly in the first place. :)

Lion - Willis looks awkward in that second clip because he's doing a three-step-drop. Quarterbacks are taught to over emphasize their first step in a three-step. You are getting all of your distance from the first step, and the second two are gathering steps. Three-step-drops always look awkward to me because the first is almost like a jump step. 

Anyway, you can't really form opinions from these sorts of drills, because we don't know what the quarterbacks are being told to emphasize at that given moment. In some drills, quarterbacks are told to work on one thing and one thing only, like footwork. The coach will literally tell them "don't worry about the throw, worry about your feet."

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Lion - Willis looks awkward in that second clip because he's doing a three-step-drop. Quarterbacks are taught to over emphasize their first step in a three-step. You are getting all of your distance from the first step, and the second two are gathering steps. Three-step-drops always look awkward to me because the first is almost like a jump step. 

Anyway, you can't really form opinions from these sorts of drills, because we don't know what the quarterbacks are being told to emphasize at that given moment. In some drills, quarterbacks are told to work on one thing and one thing only, like footwork. The coach will literally tell them "don't worry about the throw, worry about your feet."

Thanks for the insight. That certainly helps to better understand what is happening.

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Oooooh, look at the big brain on Barnacle. J/k, that was legit enlightening. And I didn't even watch the clip. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oooooh, look at the big brain on Barnacle. J/k, that was legit enlightening. And I didn't even watch the clip. 

Just trying to stay relevant ;). But for real, quarterbacks are about the only position that I can actually offer a legitimately informed decision about. 

Thanks RIR . 

43 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Well on some of the video it looked like WB was more worried about his throwing technique. In short bursts of film, WB looks like he has a gun for an arm, but it isnt going to be on target very much. He also doesnt seem to have the touch pass down either. That is usually the problem with project QBs who in HS did more running and some passing. He as well as Malik seem to need a lot of reps to become a passer and not just a thrower. 

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

Well on some of the video it looked like WB was more worried about his throwing technique. In short bursts of film, WB looks like he has a gun for an arm, but it isnt going to be on target very much. He also doesnt seem to have the touch pass down either. That is usually the problem with project QBs who in HS did more running and some passing. He as well as Malik seem to need a lot of reps to become a passer and not just a thrower. 

My point was, don't read anything into these drill videos. There's just not enough there to formulate the sorts of opinions that are being thrown out in this thread. Once we see these guys in pads, making actual throws and many of them, then form your opinion. 

Oh...i agree. I remember seeing Cam in spring training, and said this guy can't hit ANY wide open WRs..lol.

But, i still can tell watching film of QBs over the years, that some are very good athletes, and play that position because of that. But as they move up the competition ladder from HS to college, and even into the pros they we all have seen guys who do well on one level, simply can't improve when the requirements of the position require even more accuracy, strength, and mental evaluation of reading defenses and making quick and right decisions at QB.

I am patient to see if WB can improve (as he is a RS Fr), and if he has the ability to be an efficient, effective, and winning QB.

38 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Oh...i agree. I remember seeing Cam in spring training, and said this guy can't hit ANY wide open WRs..lol.

But, i still can tell watching film of QBs over the years, that some are very good athletes, and play that position because of that. But as they move up the competition ladder from HS to college, and even into the pros they we all have seen guys who do well on one level, simply can't improve when the requirements of the position require even more accuracy, strength, and mental evaluation of reading defenses and making quick and right decisions at QB.

I am patient to see if WB can improve (as he is a RS Fr), and if he has the ability to be an efficient, effective, and winning QB.

Cam is still not a sharpshooter type QB who can throw the ball through the eye of a needle (a la Tom Brady), but he's a good enough passer with a strong arm and brings many other assets to the position.

28 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Cam is still not a sharpshooter type QB who can throw the ball through the eye of a needle (a la Tom Brady)

All of the time... I still love the video of him throwing in the gap between his lineman and a defender's heads, past another defender jumping for the ball, and into the arms of his diving receiver in the end zone. 

Wow, this board is great!  I didn't know we had such a great community of professional quarterback coaches!  Such accurate assessments off of 1 minute clips!  :)

Archived