Spring Practice 2017 - Catching Up

RunInRed

The only thing I took from the QB drills is that Sean White has soft hands. His ballhandling looks like a guy with fantastic hand-eye coordination and like a guy that has played a lot more football than anyone else in the drill.

As for the others, I like Jarrett's and Woody's throwing motion when they're pushing the ball 10-15 yards down field. They both look like the ball comes out quickly with velocity. Seems like the QB position is moving from "completely debilitating liability" in 2015 to "a positive depending entirely on the health of QB1" in 2016 to possibly a strong and deep group in 2017? That would be a nice change of pace.

SW by far had the purest looking form that is for sure . He has always looked good in the pocket . Nobody has downed him for that and if they did that is pure hatred .

4 hours ago, vatz22au said:

Wow, this board is great!  I didn't know we had such a great community of professional quarterback coaches!  Such accurate assessments off of 1 minute clips!  :)

Lord wait till bird sees it and we have a thesis on everything

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Lord wait till bird sees it and we have a thesis on everything

bird theses

that's the focus of my dissertation

Dual threat QBs need more beef  than pocket guys to take the run beating but beware of the Dan Kendra syndrome: going crazy in the weight room (fullback biceps? Really?) instead of working on QB skills. 

4 hours ago, DAG said:

SW by far had the purest looking form that is for sure . He has always looked good in the pocket . Nobody has downed him for that and if they did that is pure hatred .

Except on deep passes. His form is garbage on those. 

45 minutes ago, mikeholiday said:

Yeah that is where JS will have a leg up. I still think he has the best fundamentals out of them, but there will be different dynamics, which he clearly will not have the edge on.

11 hours ago, mikeholiday said:

Where is the clip with them throwing deep passes?

18 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Where is the clip with them throwing deep passes?

I think he's referring to last season, and given that Sean's just now getting some light work, it does seem reasonable to believe that he hasn't cleaned it up yet.

I think he was talking about in general, but off the top of my head I can't say I noticed sw having bad form on a deep ball just less of an accuracy rate. This has nothing to do with the clip but it seemed sw became bad with throwing and ducking sort of. I never played qb and don't know the ins and outs of it so I defer, but I never been too big on being hard on fundamentals in any sport. But especially at qb because it's so rare everything is going to just right. I think a good qb is the one that can improvise. Shorten the release, throw accurate off the back foot, etc. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I think he's referring to last season, and given that Sean's just now getting some light work, it does seem reasonable to believe that he hasn't cleaned it up yet.

True... Just continuing to make my point that you can't assume last year = this year... plus, it was stated multiple times, last year, that Sean's long ball mechanics were good in practice/warm-ups and just fell apart in games. I think it, like his running with abandon into oncoming linebackers, is a symptom of his need to control his emotions more during games, and use his head instead of following his gut.

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I think he was talking about in general, but off the top of my head I can't say I noticed sw having bad form on a deep ball just less of an accuracy rate. This has nothing to do with the clip but it seemed sw became bad with throwing and ducking sort of. I never played qb and don't know the ins and outs of it so I defer, but I never been too big on being hard on fundamentals in any sport. But especially at qb because it's so rare everything is going to just right. I think a good qb is the one that can improvise. Shorten the release, throw accurate off the back foot, etc. 

Sean's long ball form issues appear to be him trying to put more on it than his arm is capable of, and throwing himself off balance in the process. Of course I, like you, am no a QB guru, so my assessment is purely visual analysis with no fundamentals to back it up. Still... I think to fix it, it's going to require as much strength training as fundamentals.

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't know if it applies, but Cam throws off his back foot all the time because he's strong enough to get away with it. It might be that fundamentals on passes that require more zip (not just deep balls) really come into play more for guys like Sean who are more than adequate physically, but not exactly beasts. I definitely agree that improvisation is a huge component, too. Loved the shovel pass Matt Ryan threw to Tevin Coleman for a TD in the SB.

Really, I just want to argue with you, Cole.  

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

I think SW on the misses downfield just gets too excited on the deep ball opportunity and either overthrows the receiver, or his arm.  I agree overall that his form seems good.

Edit: I see @lionheartkc beat me to it with the same thoughts.

10 hours ago, triangletiger said:

Don't step in it!

Nailed it.

Actually, I've been collecting it with care to sterile technique.

Archived