Post game

tigerbrotha12

Why was Dunans always in to drive inside? If he is fouled he can't hit the free throws. Lets face it, Auburn has only had a couple of spurts where Auburn was competitive, Sonny Smith and Cliffs Ellis.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, milehighfan said:

Why was Dunans always in to drive inside? If he is fouled he can't hit the free throws. Lets face it, Auburn has only had a couple of spurts where Auburn was competitive, Sonny Smith and Cliffs Ellis.

I won't miss Dunas whatsoever. He was good when he played unselfishly but he is a "me" first guy. Don't need that with young guys going forward. There was one play in I believe OT when he dribbled and took a midrange J. Unacceptable, the fact he doesn't accept that is not his game, especially in a tight ball game, is purely unacceptable

Just now, 1913-14 said:

ARE YOU KIDDING? WHO BUILDS AND MOLDS THE TEAM...BLOCKING OUT IS NOT COACHED?...DRIBBLING THROUGH A PRESS INSTEAD OF PASSING ISN'T COACHING?...BE UNDISCIPLINED ON DEFENSE AFTER 30+ GAMES...

are you kidding?

these are division 1 athletes... and they've been playing 70 games a year, for the last 4-5 years.  trust me, they know better!  hell, everybody in the gym knows this!

do you think harper knows better than to stick out a forearm to a defender???

do you want bruce to go out there and shoot the free throws for these athletes???

i'm sure mclemore knows he has to challenge every shot w/ 15 secs to go... in a tie ballgame???

sure they do... they all know better.  players have to look in the mirror and (a) realize they have to step up their game... and (b) understand they're not near as good as they think they are!

The first close game next season is going to be critical. We are going to need to pull that one out to give our guys confidence because it's clear they freak out in late game situations. I'm confident next year is where we go from crumbling at the end to finishing these games strongly. These kids are really talented. And they are improving the program already. This game effing sucked though.

And lets get real for a second...

#24 for mizzou scored 30 points... when in reality, he should've been ejected in the first half.  

He struck an official!  There is no excuse why he wasn't kicked out of the game!!!

There lies the win for mizzou...

2 minutes ago, Altima said:

are you kidding?

these are division 1 athletes... and they've been playing 70 games a year, for the last 4-5 years.  trust me, they know better!  hell, everybody in the gym knows this!

do you want bruce to go out there and shoot the free throws for these athletes???

i'm sure mclemore knows he has to challenge every shot w/ 15 secs to go... in a tie ballgame???

sure they do... they all know better.  players have to look in the mirror and (a) realize they have to step up their game... and (b) understand they're not near as good as they think they are!

Did I mention free throws? I thought I said blocking out. So your solution is dump these players...they are just uncoachable...to top it off I just said I wasn't buying what BP would be trying to sell...there is plenty of blame to go around and not enough white wash...

Just now, 1913-14 said:

Did I mention free throws? I thought I said blocking out. So your solution is dump these players...they are just uncoachable...to top it off I just said I wasn't buying what BP would be trying to sell...there is plenty of blame to go around and not enough white wash...

yeah, you're right... they've never once worked on blocking out.  they weren't taught in pee wee's how to block out.  they've all made it through the aau circuit, and earned d1 scholarships... but they've never been taught how to block out.

it boils down to effort... not coaching.

@Altima. If you can't at least acknowledge coaching is a problem then you are doing yourself a disservice. Yes, the players are not tough, they most likely have had coaches tell them their whole lives that they are the next big thing. But why has BP not been tougher on them? He's admitted that he's been softer because they don't respond well to criticism, but it sure seems like pampering them hasn't worked out for BP. Like it or not, these freshmen are the core and future of the program. If BP doesn't ride them hard this offseason, thats on him. They need conditioning and discipline. To argue that these guys are uncoachable would be laughable. If BP rode them hard this year and they played like this, then yes, they are soft. I blame BP for not being tougher. The reason his Tennessee teams were so good was in large part due to leadership and toughness.  I just don't understand how if Bruce is building these guys for the future how he didn't use discipline. 

3 minutes ago, au302 said:

@Altima. If you can't at least acknowledge coaching is a problem then you are doing yourself a disservice. Yes, the players are not tough, they most likely have had coaches tell them their whole lives that they are the next big thing. But why has BP not been tougher on them? He's admitted that he's been softer because they don't respond well to criticism, but it sure seems like pampering them hasn't worked out for BP. Like it or not, these freshmen are the core and future of the program. If BP doesn't ride them hard this offseason, thats on him. They need conditioning and discipline. To argue that these guys are uncoachable would be laughable. If BP rode them hard this year and they played like this, then yes, they are soft. I blame BP for not being tougher. The reason his Tennessee teams were so good was in large part due to leadership and toughness.  I just don't understand how if Bruce is building these guys for the future how he didn't use discipline. 

You can't change philosophies in the middle of the season!  He coached them the same when they started off 11-2... to when they were 18-14.  And that's understandable...  I get that.

But as far as being tough on these guys, say he were to change his philosophy, and turn in to Dr Death... he'd lose his team.  Hell, he wouldn't have a team.

A change in culture comes in the off-season... And this is gonna be a big off-season.  I'm sure these guys learned a lot about themselves and what's gonna have to happen to be successful in this league.

Believe it or not, the future is still bright as can be...  They got in their own way, but these freshmen were on the cusp of having a pretty special season.  Another year of experience will be huge for everyone.

3 hours ago, Altima said:

are you kidding?

If it was legal and he could hit them. HE'LL YEAH.

A team of snowflakes ?  Being tough on highly recruited athletes will "lose the team"?  Might want to check with Nick....

Meanwhile a coach ...or boss..gets the level of performance he or she accepts.

7 hours ago, Altima said:

yeah, you're right... they've never once worked on blocking out.  they weren't taught in pee wee's how to block out.  they've all made it through the aau circuit, and earned d1 scholarships... but they've never been taught how to block out.

well...probably not...theses are all gifted players that have probably been dominant without coaching...you'd be surprised how many kids coming into college in many sports have received poor or no real coaching...but if you're philosophy is correct then why pay BP a ton of money to "coach"???...they already know it all so anyone would do at a much reduced salary

When Mizzou got the rebound and hit the 3 that tied the game in regulation, one of the TV announcers said that AU was the worst defensive rebounding team in the SEC. That absolutely has got to change next year. I'm still in the Bruce Pearl camp, but getting a bit restless. 

7 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

au302 said it best,"God hates Auburn Basketball":

Maybe this is how Kentucky football fans feel. Constantly near or at the bottom of the league every year. 

In an era of overstatement, there are some honking overstatements in this thread. Scarbinsky onloaded on us this morning too with statements like "youth is no longer an excuse". Compare us to the other teams starting and playing this many freshman...oh that's right, there aren't any. Sloppy last month to a promising season. Period. Next season we start mainly sophomores. 

20 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

In an era of overstatement, there are some honking overstatements in this thread. Scarbinsky onloaded on us this morning too with statements like "youth is no longer an excuse". Compare us to the other teams starting and playing this many freshman...oh that's right, there aren't any. Sloppy last month to a promising season. Period. Next season we start mainly sophomores. 

Yep...losing some pretty important seniors/grads and on average will probably be '"younger" next season.   

Main problem is the benefit of 30+ games of "experience" is pretty difficult to discern right now...our freshmen mostly still playing like incoming freshmen.

Still worried about unexpected departures.

5 hours ago, milehighfan said:

Down the stretch I wanted to see Purifoy drive and shoot with the possibility of going to the line. DP is an 87% FT SHOOTER. 

Purifoy doesn't like to do this, if you watch his games. Heron and Dunnans, yes but not DP.

He likes to shoot the outside shot and not look to slash to the basket. He needs to spend more time around the basket when he is not shooting, and then he can get more FTs.

We were more talented, with a better coach, and with something to play for (NIT). That was a terrible loss and the entire team (from every coach to every player) needs to be accountable.

This team never had the chemistry. I just never felt like they were playing as a team. Maybe with the new freshmen, a bunch of sophs, they will play better. They certainly need to work on their defense. Yuck. 

9 hours ago, Altima said:

I agree. Defense is effort. I will say, in the second half, I did see much better effort from the players on D. many possessions MIzzou struggled to get a play off. But there are still players who also have to know how to execute it as there were lapses late in the game, when they played good D for 25 seconds, then a lapse from one player left open Mizzou that made critical 3 pters at the end.

No way, we should have allowed that many made 3 pters late in the game and their high percentage shows how poorly we defended the perimeter.

31 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Purifoy doesn't like to do this, if you watch his games. Heron and Dunnans, yes but not DP.

He likes to shoot the outside shot and not look to slash to the basket. He needs to spend more time around the basket when he is not shooting, and then he can get more FTs.

.....and rebounds

25 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I agree. Defense is effort. I will say, in the second half, I did see much better effort from the players on D. many possessions MIzzou struggled to get a play off. But there are still players who also have to know how to execute it as there were lapses late in the game, when they played good D for 25 seconds, then a lapse from one player left open Mizzou that made critical 3 pters at the end.

No way, we should have allowed that many made 3 pters late in the game and their high percentage shows how poorly we defended the perimeter.

All year long we made every team look like all stars from 3 land.

On the last 3 pointer to win by Mizzou, if you watched the replay, there was a back door cut wide open for the layout that McLemore was backing down to defend so he was late getting out to cover the 3 point shot.  Our defense is lousy so don't put this on McLemore's shoulders.  We all love the Rifleman, but would anyone make him in charge of defense??? 

Archived