If one person says that loss is on coaching... you haven't a clue!

Altima

That loss had everything to do with the  immature weenies on the floor.  We shat the bed at the free-throw line, and we were unbelievably lazy on defense.

Those turkeys blew a 7 point lead with under 2 minutes to go.  

Players are gonna have to play...

Coaching can't make free throws for you, and coaching can't make you challenge a shot... period!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only Auburn will get a technical foul and rim both free throws from one of the better FT shooters on the team that plays consistently. 

I agree the FT shooting is despicable.  We have sucked at FTs for half a decade at least. 

This is why coaching is part of the equation. Purifoy is shooting like 90% from the line, yet we put Harper, who is a decent free throw shooter, to shoot the big ones. I don't know guys. BP must upgrade his staff. Keep Chuck on for shooting but bring in someone for defense

Chuck Persons never met a shot he didn't like...rebounding is another story...our inside game is woeful

This loss and the finish to the season is on everyone involved with AU Basketball. AU just can't shake that culture of losing to save their lives right now. It's a shame and hard to stomach year after year. Oh well, there's always next year.

18 minutes ago, jared52 said:

This loss and the finish to the season is on everyone involved with AU Basketball. AU just can't shake that culture of losing to save their lives right now. It's a shame and hard to stomach year after year. Oh well, there's always next year.

ding ding ding...

hit the nail right on the head!

here's to next year.

1 hour ago, Altima said:

That loss had everything to do with the  immature weenies on the floor.  We shat the bed at the free-throw line, and we were unbelievably lazy on defense.

Those turkeys blew a 7 point lead with under 2 minutes to go.  

Players are gonna have to play...

Coaching can't make free throws for you, and coaching can't make you challenge a shot... period!

Yeah but coaches kept playing the players that were making awful mistakes & loafing on D. Not taking those guys out is on the coaches.

54 minutes ago, au302 said:

This is why coaching is part of the equation. Purifoy is shooting like 90% from the line, yet we put Harper, who is a decent free throw shooter, to shoot the big ones. I don't know guys. BP must upgrade his staff. Keep Chuck on for shooting but bring in someone for defense

And did that the whole damn season. When is the staff going to learn that Harper is not the Mr. Clutch they have convinced themselves that he is?

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And did that the whole damn season. When is the staff going to learn that Harper is not the Mr. Clutch they have convinced themselves that he is?

He's a 70% FT shooter. That's right between ugh and meh.

Three years and no NIT much less NCAA,. BP is behind schedule.

Jus tired of looking forward too next year for basketball and football. This is going on like 3 years for both. I don't even look forward to it lately.

5 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Three years and no NIT much less NCAA,. BP is behind schedule.

Well, first its a bit premature to say no NIT because those bids haven't gone out yet and with 18 wins we are certainly a possibility there.  It may be a long shot but its still possible. 

Considering what he inherited when he got here, no he's not.  He patchworked a team together the 1st 2 years he was here because the previous staff left the program worse than they found it.   Building the program takes time, but we are starting to see some improvement for sure.  First winning season for Auburn basketball since 2009 would indicate to me a move in the right direction.   It's not all there yet but its a lot closer now than it was 3 years ago.   The  next two years I expect the improvement to be dramatically better each of those. 

6 hours ago, jared52 said:

He's a 70% FT shooter. That's right between ugh and meh.

And I bet it's lower than that in clutch moments.

32 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Well, first its a bit premature to say no NIT because those bids haven't gone out yet and with 18 wins we are certainly a possibility there.  It may be a long shot but its still possible. 

Considering what he inherited when he got here, no he's not.  He patchworked a team together the 1st 2 years he was here because the previous staff left the program worse than they found it.   Building the program takes time, but we are starting to see some improvement for sure.  First winning season for Auburn basketball since 2009 would indicate to me a move in the right direction.   It's not all there yet but its a lot closer now than it was 3 years ago.   The  next two years I expect the improvement to be dramatically better each of those. 

Yes, let's see if they don't get into the NIT. If they do or don't, expectations for the BB team will be very high this fall, just like for the FB team.

I get tired of the "culture" of losing excuse.  There is no such thing....this is a new coach, a new group of players..and a new fan base and a new modern arena.  The culture that exists now depends on the coaching staff....period. What the coach teaches or accepts from his players determines the culture....not what some other coach did with some different team in some different arena some time in the past. That "culture of losing" excuse needs to get flushed.   JMO.

Yeah I personally didn't want Harper being the one to handle the ball at the end and shooting those free throws. Would have loved to see RJ in there at the end. No one guy loses a game but Harper just about did that last night. Missed multiple free throws. Gave up the open 3 to their hot shooter and turned the ball over to allow the tieing 3. Bad last 2 minutes for the young man

This is on both players and coaches. Brown was on fire and playing good defense when coach pulls him. With Brown hitting those threes Dunans was able to go to the basket and score they had no answer on Defense then BP pulls Brown and we lose momentum. I realize coach likes to rotate players to keep them fresh but when you are near the end of the game if something is working you don't change it. By the time he put Brown back in we had lost momentum and gone to PG dribbling out most of the 30 second shot. Why was PG doing that if coach told him to that is on coach if coach didn't want him doing that pull him and put Johnson in who played very well yesterday.

It is also on the players. I can't begin to count how many times players went for a steal and mis-timed it leaving an open 3 or a drive to the basket. The rule of thumb is don't go for the steal unless you are sure you have it. When playing man for man Defense losing your man is inexcusable. We turned Van Lear into a world class player by playing off of him. I saw us double team a player then both back off and give the player an open 3 that he drained. We double team a player and one of out players runs from the paint to pick up a guy on the other side while leaving a guy in the paint to get a pass and dunk.

The players play hard on defense but they don't communicate and they seem lost at times running hither and yon that is part players and part coaching.

Missing FT's in the clutch is on the players that is a personal skill each players has to work on.

8 hours ago, au302 said:

It was Heron they put at the FT line to shoot the T shots. But I agree, Purifoy should have been at the line.

The problems I had late in the game:

1. RJ was the better person to control the game late in the game, trying to milk some clock. Even Pearl in postgame was asked about not playing RJ done the stretch with game pressure, and using your grad senior instead of the freshman. He said that was on him. RJ never even played the overtime or the last 3 mins of regulation.

2. Harper had NO business pushing off with 15 secs and only needing them to foul us, shooting a pair, up by 3. He does not know how to raw fouls, but always seem to avoid it or adjusts his own shot as to not be fouled even going in hard to the basket.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yeah but coaches kept playing the players that were making awful mistakes & loafing on D. Not taking those guys out is on the coaches.

Who else would we put out there???

Lang?  Wadell???

the problem is, this's what Bruce has to work with... it is what it is.  Heron is our best player, and he had an inexcusable turnover late it regulation.  Were we supposed to take out our best player.  Substitutions (coaching) didn't cost us the game.  Players gotta play.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I get tired of the "culture" of losing excuse.  There is no such thing....this is a new coach, a new group of players..and a new fan base and a new modern arena.  The culture that exists now depends on the coaching staff....period. What the coach teaches or accepts from his players determines the culture....not what some other coach did with some different team in some different arena some time in the past. That "culture of losing" excuse needs to get flushed.   JMO.

I agree. No matter who is recruited as players, if they do not receive proper coaching to make them a "team", then it is on the coaches. These highly regarded players must be coached into becoming a team. If not, then it is of no use to have them nor the coach around. Period! 

I still think we make the tourney next year.  

With that said.  I extremely disappointed in both the coaching and the players efforts.

Granted we are young but at this point in the year that's inexcusable. I am at a loss as to why coach Pearl has not been able to install a defensive mindset as of yet.

The players have to realize they are getting beat by far less talented teams and that there is!a reason for it. Question is, do they care enough to fix it.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

While I agree with you, to a point, basketball, above all other sports, seems to feed on the excitement of the fan base. A great example was the game a few years ago where we were struggling and Cam showed up, energized the crowed, and we came back for the win.  Auburn's basketball fan base is borderline awful.  Sure we have the dedicated fans, but there aren't enough of them to create the kind of buzz that a team feeds off of.  Instead, they get the "prove your worth our time" attitude and then when they don't meet expectations, only the hardcore fans stay around. 

I live 45 minutes from KU. Getting a ticket for most of their games is borderline impossible, unless you want to pay 2-3 times face value. Every year, from the first practice to the final game, the players are constantly energized by a full arena and the support of everyone around them as they go through their day. It's a lot easier to get motivated when you feel like you have so many people to play for.

I think Bruce has done a great job of improving the 6th man part of the team, but I have a feeling that it has probably been one of his biggest frustrations as well, because it's his first time coaching at a school where basketball holds so little value to so many.

9 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

While I agree with you, to a point, basketball, above all other sports, seems to feed on the excitement of the fan base. A great example was the game a few years ago where we were struggling and Cam showed up, energized the crowed, and we came back for the win.  Auburn's basketball fan base is borderline awful.  Sure we have the dedicated fans, but there aren't enough of them to create the kind of buzz that a team feeds off of.  Instead, they get the "prove your worth our time" attitude and then when they don't meet expectations, only the hardcore fans stay around. 

I live 45 minutes from KU. Getting a ticket for most of their games is borderline impossible, unless you want to pay 2-3 times face value. Every year, from the first practice to the final game, the players are constantly energized by a full arena and the support of everyone around them as they go through their day. It's a lot easier to get motivated when you feel like you have so many people to play for.

I think Bruce has done a great job of improving the 6th man part of the team, but I have a feeling that it has probably been one of his biggest frustrations as well, because it's his first time coaching at a school where basketball holds so little value to so many.

If KU went years without making the tournament and finished at the bottom of the Big 12 every year, tickets would be readily available. You can't charge people $45 to watch AU play basketball and expect people to fill all the seats. I know they have an arena to pay for, but you can't expect people to get fired up about missing the real post season year over year. If AU gets to the NCAAs next year and demonstrates more progress as a program (consistent recruiting classes, less band-aids, etc), then people will fill AU arena to the brim. In the late 90s, getting tix to AU basketball wasn't always easy, because they were good. People will support good teams, and they did so until AU started flopping against SEC teams. This isn't a fan problem.

Archived