2018 Recruiting thread (Updated 1/29/18)

ellitor

27 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Since we have fans like you, we don't need enemies.

lifting-up-glass.gif

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:05 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Whatever coach got this kid to even take a OV here just pulled off a miracle!!! No tight end should EVER consider Auburn! Let alone a good one! lol

A bit harsh, GusChip could honestly tell him a TE with all the tools could fit well into the Chandler Cox/Jay Prosch roll that's important in their system.

47 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

A bit harsh, GusChip could honestly tell him a TE with all the tools could fit well into the Chandler Cox/Jay Prosch roll that's important in their system.

And actually we did target our TE a few times last week vs aTm, but he just could not catch the dang ball.

If Sal Canella caught the ball more, this would be a different story. He’s been targeted far more than NCM. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Thanks E. The Bible told the story of the prodigal son. You are our prodigal son of a gun. Missed you man.:jossun:

It's his style. He disappears for weeks at a time, only to come back in full force. He is Batman. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Thanks E. The Bible told the story of the prodigal son. You are our prodigal son of a gun. Missed you man.:jossun:

I'm just sparcely around. Someone else will have to do the 2019 thread & beyond when it's that time.

DON'T MAKE ME START IN ON THIS AGAIN!!!!  We need a minimum of two (2) more linebackers in this class or we'll be falling behind again. It takes three a year to just maintain. I'd like to see four this year in order to make up for signing only one in the 2016 class. I'll settle for three if the third one is high quality. I like the two we've got but 2 is not enough! :):)

21 minutes ago, Mikey said:

DON'T MAKE ME START IN ON THIS AGAIN!!!!  We need a minimum of two (2) more linebackers in this class or we'll be falling behind again. It takes three a year to just maintain. I'd like to see four this year in order to make up for signing only one in the 2016 class. I'll settle for three if the third one is high quality. I like the two we've got but 2 is not enough! :):)

The only way it looks like you get your 3rd this year is if you count the Buck hybrid as a LB.

TBH w/ the consistency T-Will has brought to the position & the way he is developing them well I'm not sure we need as many each year as before. Another factor, before T-Will there was a lot of LB attrition & low development. Since T-Will has been LB coach there has been a lot of development & very little LB attrition. Colbert being the only 1.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

The only way it looks like you get your 3rd this year is if you count the Buck hybrid as a LB.

TBH w/ the consistency T-Will has brought to the position & the way he is developing them well I'm not sure we need as many each year as before. Another factor, before T-Will there was a lot of LB attrition & low development. Since T-Will has been LB coach there has been a lot of development & very little LB attrition. Colbert being the only 1.

Your points are valid. However, I also remember crappy LB recruiting leading to a crappy defense. Since i do think Marsh will be a very serviceable LB and not a safety, I'm only on slow boil for the moment. BUT.....The heat could be turned up at a moment's notice! :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I read a breakdown on Sherwood that predicted that he would eventually develop into a LB but would start his career as a Safety. So, maybe he's the third.

I'd be very much in favor of signing at least one of the following:  Quay Walker, Zacoby McClain, JJ Peterson, or Channing Tindall. At the moment, it feels like we may miss on all four, which is a bummer.

7 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I read a breakdown on Sherwood that predicted that he would eventually develop into a LB but would start his career as a Safety. So, maybe he's the third.

I'd be very much in favor of signing at least one of the following:  Quay Walker, Zacoby McClain, JJ Peterson, or Channing Tindall. At the moment, it feels like we may miss on all four, which is a bummer.

ZM wouldn't be a miss. The staff has passed on him for the time being at least due to his flakyness.

On 11/7/2017 at 7:29 AM, doverstutts said:

he did not say one thing that isn't true.       all doublebubble needs is an offensive tackle with an jersey number in the 80's

And what, exactly, is it that you base your assumption upon? We haven't had playmakers at TE while Malzahn has been head coach here, and we brought in Cannella to provide a big guy to make possession type receptions. He has dropped more balls than he's been targeted with, so we've had to go without a versatile tight end all season.

BTW, have you noticed the few passes that we've been working to Chandler Cox? Now imagine a tight end who can operate as a lead blocker OR a dynamic threat in the passing game. You don't think that's something Chip Lindsey wants? Really?

Oh, wait, I forgot with whom I was communicating. Troll away, because that's all I've EVER seen you do on here.

• Like 1

Recruiting insider: Buzz at Auburn despite non-Power 5 opponent

Recruiting has picked up steam since beating the nation’s top-ranked team at the time. This shouldn’t come as a surprise.

It’s placed Auburn in a situation it hasn’t been in for, at least, the last two recruiting cycles. The Tigers finally have some momentum. Auburn is the place to be a week from now, just as it was the place to be a week ago.

In only a week since the Auburn-Georgia game, several important recruiting events have occurred. Most importantly, Auburn picked up its first cornerback in the Class of 2018. Christian Tutt chose Auburn over Ohio State and Nebraska.

Auburn hosted several high-priority prospects in the 2019 and 2020 classes for the Louisiana-Monroe game. A few commits were in attendance. The weekend didn’t have as much buzz as the week prior, but with so much to look ahead to next week, there were still several recruiting tidbits to take away from the day:

• These are the five prospects of the future who I’d keep an eye on: offensive lineman Darius Thomas (2019), linebacker King Mwikuta (2019), receiver Kobe Hudson (2020), linebacker Jalen Sims (2019) and linebacker Joko Willis (2019). Auburn made a point to get these five prospects on campus for a game that would allow more personal attention before and after the game.
  • A trusted source indicated Auburn isn’t done at cornerback after Tutt’s commitment. No, the Tigers have their sights set on two elite-caliber cornerbacks who they believe they’re among the contenders.
  • For starters, Mississippi Gulf Coast cornerback Saivion Smith will likely take his official visit next week for the Iron Bowl. Alabama is the other school involved and the clear team to beat. But Auburn is going to sell its immediate cover corner need (though Alabama has one, too) with Carlton Davis leaving for the NFL and most of the Tigers’ recent cornerback signees filling more of a hybrid role in this defense.
  • The other cornerback is perhaps the most interesting: former LSU commit Kelvin Joseph. Auburn offered on Oct. 27, and according to one source, the Tigers feel they’re making a legitimate push here. Joseph has been linked heavily to LSU, Alabama and Florida State, so those are the main programs Auburn will battle for this one. The Tigers are playing from behind, but there is a sense of confidence. It’s still not finalized, but Auburn is working to get Joseph on an official visit for the Iron Bowl next week. Personally, this still seems like a long shot to me.
  • Wide receiver recruitment is becoming a little bit more clear. Auburn originally planned on taking three receivers, but they have a couple can’t-miss guys on their board that would be accepted into the class without question. The two who come to mind there are Seth Williams and Justyn Ross. But Auburn (somewhat surprisingly) feels like it’s in the best shape with Anthony Schwartz, though the Tigers are mindful of the looming Florida coaching hire.
  • I’ve written that the Trey Hill and Tank Jenkins recruitments could be intertwined. They’re similar prospects, and the Tigers already have two interior linemen. As Auburn gains confidence with Hill — the No. 2 offensive guard in the country — the Tigers will stay patient with other interior offensive line targets, including Jenkins. Jenkins indicated he’d be ready to commit within the next few weeks, and that could still happen. If it does, I’d keep an eye on Louisville and Oklahoma. If he waits, the Tigers might be looking for another option if they miss on Hill.
  • An offensive tackle option to follow: Jerome Carvin. It’s been a while since I’ve written about Carvin, but this is a guy who attended the spring game and is considering other programs such as Tennessee and Mississippi State. There could certainly be an opening as the Tigers look for a position of need.
  • There hasn’t been a ton of clarity about quarterback, but from what I’ve gathered, it comes down to two guys. It’s Jarren Williams or Emory Jones — or, likely, no one (other than commit Joey Gatewood, of course). With Matt Corral visiting Alabama on Saturday, it makes the potential quarterback carousel loom even larger. Williams’ official visit next week has a lot on the line.

•  
Edited by ellitor
Quoted the article
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

We grabbed two 4 star players from Athens, GA and Tuscaloosa, AL on the same day!! Right out of our rivals' backyards! How's that for a thanksgiving gift?! An Iron Bowl win would be the icing on the cake. The win and more recruits abound!

• Like 4
  • Love 2

On 11/17/2017 at 9:02 PM, Rednilla said:

And what, exactly, is it that you base your assumption upon? We haven't had playmakers at TE while Malzahn has been head coach here, and we brought in Cannella to provide a big guy to make possession type receptions. He has dropped more balls than he's been targeted with, so we've had to go without a versatile tight end all season.

BTW, have you noticed the few passes that we've been working to Chandler Cox? Now imagine a tight end who can operate as a lead blocker OR a dynamic threat in the passing game. You don't think that's something Chip Lindsey wants? Really?

Oh, wait, I forgot with whom I was communicating. Troll away, because that's all I've EVER seen you do on here.

Truth. You can't respect anyone who constantly refers to the coach as doublebubble. Nothing more than childish/immature - or just very unintelligent.

Edited by boisnumber1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, boisnumber1 said:

Truth. You can't respect anyone who constantly refers to the coach as doublebubble. Nothing more than childish/immature - or just every unintelligent.

I've come to the conclusion that he's not an AU grad or even a college student. His insults aimed at the coaching staff are very, very second grade playground stuff. I'm thinking maybe he's one grade behind where he should be at Wright's Mill Road Elementary School.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I've come to the conclusion that he's not an AU grad or even a college student. His insults aimed at the coaching staff are very, very second grade playground stuff. I'm thinking maybe he's one grade behind where he should be at Wright's Mill Road Elementary School.

His comments are very similar to a different poster on this forum who has calmed down his rehtoric. Dover may be his alternate personality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, creed said:

His comments are very similar to a different poster on this forum who has calmed down his rehtoric. Dover may be his alternate personality.

I hadn't thought of that!

I haven't been around the recruiting board in quite some time. What's up with Nix? Is he out?

Edit: Never mind - forgot he's 2019. I'm losing my marbles!

Edited by Linayus

Are we in play for any of FSU decommitments? One cb and two others , 2 4*s and one 3*

Edited by toddc