2018 Recruiting thread (Updated 1/29/18)

ellitor

34 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

This is BIG.

I'm sure there will be high grade standards involved which I'm good with.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I'm sure there will be high grade standards involved which I'm good with.

If this comes into effect before next season, I'm sure that could affect where Jacob season goes. Also, I think if Shea Patterson starts at Michigan next year, they could be dangerous. 

I can see where this might be a total disaster. Any kid not starting is calling other schools peddling his talents. Fruit basket turnover every season. I don't like the idea at all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I can see where this might be a total disaster. Any kid not starting is calling other schools peddling his talents. Fruit basket turnover every season. I don't like the idea at all.

Would undoubtedly suck for the schools, but I'm not sure that's the most important concern. 

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Well there is some limitations still. Schools will still have to adhere to the yearly 25 max so a number of kids won't have the options they think they will or they will have to wait to enroll at the new school til they can count in the next year's 25 limit.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Would undoubtedly suck for the schools, but I'm not sure that's the most important concern. 

Since I am a fan of a school, the idea sucks for me. Not sure how this would benefit an athlete either. There is a great deal of value in learning how to work through a difficult situation with determination, time and hard work. Setting up a system in which when the going gets tough you simply run away isn't how I raised my kids and I wouldn't want to see other young people doing this either.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Since I am a fan of a school, the idea sucks for me. Not sure how this would benefit an athlete either. There is a great deal of value in learning how to work through a difficult situation with determination, time and hard work. Setting up a system in which when the going gets tough you simply run away isn't how I raised my kids and I wouldn't want to see other young people doing this either.

The players are the only ingredient necessary for football to happen. They don't even need a football. I don't understand devaluing them in this equation.

Nor do I think that the old "just work harder" maxim always or even usually applies. There are a lot of factors outside of the players' control that might prevent them from achieving a level of success they deserve, no matter how much "hard work" they put in. Kids are screwed by coaching changes all the time, while the coaches themselves merely get a raise and face no negative repercussions whatsoever.

It's a debate that will never end. Certainly not here. But I'm all for giving the players more leverage. Rich old guys will keep getting richer off their backs no matter what happens. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This was discussed briefly in another thread but I thought an article was worthy here.

Auburn won’t host official visitors this weekend

Here’s a strange recruiting twist three weeks from National Signing Day: Auburn won’t host any official visitors this weekend.

That’s the word I’ve received from multiple sources, all of whom have cited weather as a preventative obstacle. It’s odd timing given the swift offensive line coach change, and you know, the fact National Signing Day is less than a month away. But if you dig deeper into it, it makes some sense.

For starters, SEC Country had only confirmed three prospects who planned to officially visit this weekend:

• 4-star WR Ja’Marr Chase, Metairie, La.
  • 4-star OL Richard Gouraige, Tampa, Fla.
  • 3-star DB Joe Foucha, New Orleans.

Chase looks destined to land in LSU’s class. This is the second time in the last two months that a Chase official visit was derailed by unforeseen circumstances. He wasn’t able to attend an Auburn game late in the season because of an injury sustained during his Friday night game.

Gouraige is the real head-scratcher. He’s been slated to take an official visit to Auburn this coming week. It made sense that the Herb Hand-to-J.B. Grimes coaching change would’ve resulted in an in-home visit in Tampa, Fla., on Thursday. Instead, Gouraige’s official visit will need to be rescheduled. All of this is quite inconvenient timing for this specific recruitment.

As for Foucha, the 3-star defensive back will officially visit Arkansas this weekend instead. He told SEC Country he still fully plans to take an official visit and that the Tigers remain his leader.

ellitor...not trying to belittle you, because I enjoy your posts...but on the page where you have the players listed, you have the wrong there...it should be the other one...their name...

Thanks for keeping us all informed and up to date...

WDE

9 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

ellitor...not trying to belittle you, because I enjoy your posts...but on the page where you have the players listed, you have the wrong there...it should be the other one...their name...

Thanks for keeping us all informed and up to date...

WDE

Fixed.

Edited by ellitor

Hey Ellitor....hope you are doing well this Saturday. Of the OTs we have listed where we want 2 total, which 2 do you think we have the best chance for?

Also, for the DE, Caleb Tanner, what are our chances with him?  As always, thanks for you keen insight with recruiting. You make the process a lot of fun as well as educating goof balls like me!

With “technically” only 3 spots left and several “offers” and wishes/wants on the table, I would like to know if anyone has heard if the staff has a plan of who are the first names asked to “Grey Shirt” if some of these bigger fish unexpectedly start to commit?

33 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

With “technically” only 3 spots left and several “offers” and wishes/wants on the table, I would like to know if anyone has heard if the staff has a plan of who are the first names asked to “Grey Shirt” if some of these bigger fish unexpectedly start to commit?

We have never made a practice of asking players to greyshirt. Fuqua is under discussion for greyshirting because of his medical situation, but if not for that he would have already signed in the early period. The players on our want list all have other offers. I would expect them to sign elsewhere if they don't sign with Auburn.

• Thanks 1

E - have you heard any news on Taiyon Palmer? His recruitment has blown up (now a composite 4*), but his current CB prediction is for Duke. Any chance we land an OV and get involved?

7 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Hey Ellitor....hope you are doing well this Saturday. Of the OTs we have listed where we want 2 total, which 2 do you think we have the best chance for?

Willie Allen if we take him & I don't know after that. Could be best available regardless of position after we take 1.

7 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Also, for the DE, Caleb Tanner, what are our chances with him?

Good as of now if we were to take him.

3 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

E - have you heard any news on Taiyon Palmer?

Yes but to my knowledge it's fresh VIP/Premium info so I can't say much.

Any chance we land an OV

You would think if we offer.

get involved?

Don't know.

hope we offer him. WOW just realized that sounded exactly like something auburn4ever would write lol. MUHHHHHHHHH BAD.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

hope we offer him. WOW just realized that sounded exactly like something auburn4ever would write lol. MUHHHHHHHHH BAD.

More like this. "If Gus expects to earn his new contract, he better go out and offer this kid. He's the hottest player in the nation right now and even Saban knows it"

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

More like this. "If Gus expects to earn his new contract, he better go out and offer this kid. He's the hottest player in the nation right now and even Saban knows it"

Gus let's the D staff offer who they want pretty much. Not offering would be on Steele, Brown, & Woodson.

Steele & Co. have done an awesome job both of landing big names and evaluating guys better than the recruiting services. We've seen a LOT of guys "add stars" after committing to Auburn. CB is a position of need in this class but I trust that our staff has done their homework. 

• Like 1

"Maybe the hottest prospect" or not, his offer and visit list isn't very impressive. Clemson is the only top tier team on there. bammer must be coming up short in the numbers department and is looking around to fill spots. Of course, they aren't alone in  that.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

"Maybe the hottest prospect" or not, his offer and visit list isn't very impressive. Clemson is the only top tier team on there. bammer must be coming up short in the numbers department and is looking around to fill spots. Of course, they aren't alone in  that.....

Bama is running very low on the back end.  They are wanting to sign 5-6 DBs.  Think that's why JAD jumped on their class as quick as he did.  

20 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Bama is running very low on the back end.  They are wanting to sign 5-6 DBs.  Think that's why JAD jumped on their class as quick as he did.  

And Kirby scorched them by flipping Nadep Joseph on ENSD.