2018 Recruiting thread (Updated 1/29/18)

ellitor

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Because (ahem) he went from 2.6 catches in first three games to 0.3 after and because said player admitted he fell off. And I was talking to somebody else about it. 

If you don’t consider a player dropping off to less than 1 reception per game disappearing, I’d hate to know what you consider disappearing. I’m not sure why you’re telling me to  settle down either. I’m not the one trying to browbeat the definition of disappearing. 

Anywho, I’m done with the conversation. Too doo loo

And before the mods tell us to knock it off... good looking out.

Anxious to see how we round out this class or whatever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, rollingtoomers said:

do we expect any new commitments sometime in the next few weeks?

4* WR Anthony Schwartz is committing Jam. 4th at the Under Armour game & he says we lead. CB Bejie Franklin & TE Matt Alaimo are OVing on January 12th so I guess they could commit by mid January. If we get Quay Walker it will be late Jan-early Feb IMO.

15 hours ago, rollingtoomers said:

It would put my mind at ease if we can nail down a top OT or two

The staff isn't planning to take 2 true OTs as of now. They want 1 OT & 1 OG. Regardless we are not likely to get them soon. Our top remaining OL targets are OVing AU the last weekend in January or 1st weekend of February.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, aufootball1 said:

Does Auburn have any commits playing in the Under Amour All-Star Game? 

Yes. There will be a thread on each game the day the games are played. UA on Jan. 4th. Army on Jan. 6th.

• Like 1

I'm not going to create a thread on this cat unless he visits but here's an article on a 5* CB...

Auburn remains a possible official visit for 5-star cornerback Tyson Campbell

5-star cornerback Tyson Campbell is considering Auburn for one of his last three official visits.
Sam Spiegelman/SEC Country

SAN ANTONIO — When Tyson Campbell lists the programs heavily in the mix for him, he names five schools right off the bat.

“Miami, Georgia, Bama, Clemson, Ohio State,” the 5-star cornerback said Wednesday.

Those have been the programs linked to his recruitment since the beginning.

Campbell, the No. 3 corner in the nation, is from American Heritage in South Florida. That proximity to home has made Miami the perceived leader recently. But a few SEC programs — Georgia and Alabama — are the only two official visits Campbell has set up so far. He’ll go to Athens on Jan. 12 and Tuscaloosa on Jan. 19.

RELATED: Louisiana corner Kelvin Joseph sets up last official visit to Auburn

As for the other three official visits, Miami, Clemson and Ohio State could received those last three. When asked about those three programs receiving officials, however, Campbell brought up two other lesser-mentioned programs as potential official visit destinations for him.

Auburn is one of them.Tyson-Campbell-by-Sam-Spiegelman_h7loh0.

“I don’t know if I can fit five in. But I don’t know if it’d be one of those [other three] because I’m talking to other schools like Auburn and Tennessee,” Campbell told SEC Country.

Campbell doesn’t have the strongest familiarity with Auburn, but he’s giving the Tigers time to change that.

He’s only been to the Plains one time, and that was during his sophomore season. Campbell admitted, for the Tigers to receive an official visit, he will have to stay in contact more with the coaches in short order.

Campbell has been hearing from Auburn tight ends coach Larry Porter and defensive backs coach Greg Brown more recently. In fact, he connected with Porter on Tuesday to talk about how things have been going at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

“Coach Porter and coach Brown. It’s been the same [message] as other schools. They really want me,” Campbell said. “To give them an official? More communication. I talked with coach Porter yesterday. He was just asking me how I’m doing down here. I know him pretty well.”

On 12/26/2017 at 2:58 PM, aujeff11 said:

Make that two years in a row that his production disappeared down the stretch. Unsettling.

How many receptions did he have in the bowl game? Who was the leader in both catches and yards? Who was the only WR to score a TD in the bowl game?

Edited by AUTigerTime
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AUTigerTime said:

How many receptions did he have in the bowl game? Who was the leader in both catches and yards? Who was the only WR to score a TD in the bowl game?

As @Maverick.AU predicted, there wouldn’t be bigger CBs knocking him off his routes and he’d have a big day. 

How did he do post LSU in the regular season and SECCG? That was my point. 

14 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

As @Maverick.AU predicted, there wouldn’t be bigger CBs knocking him off his routes and he’d have a big day. 

How did he do post LSU in the regular season and SECCG? That was my point. 

With the routes he runs & where he lines up and a lot of zone played against us he didn't have big CBs on him at any point often.

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

With the routes he runs & where he lines up and a lot of zone played against us he didn't have big CBs on him at any point often.

Lol. Any DB is bigger compared to him but what other possible reason could cause him to tail off in the regular season two years in a row?

Edited by aujeff11

Even though he hasn't been a long commit, I think Tutt will be a @GwillMac6 favorite...

2. Christian Tutt is spending his week recruiting other skill players — and not just in San Antonio.

When asked what he came to accomplish this week at the U.S. Army Bowl, Auburn signee Christian Tutt didn’t say anything about seeing how he stacked up against other prospect. Or that he just wanted to have a good time in San Antonio.

No, Tutt has turned his full attention to Auburn, and he wants the other best players in the country to join him.

Tutt has spoken with Joseph regularly throughout this week to make sure the Tigers are on his mind as a busy January approaches. He said he’s gotten good vibes from Joseph so far, but knows it’ll take that February official visit to get Auburn seriously in the conversation. Tutt feels his recruiting pitches are, at the very least, helping to keep the Tigers in contention for now.

He isn’t only staying on U.S. Army All-Americans, however. Tutt has been in touch with several players in Orlando, Fla., for the Under Armour All-American Game. He has been on the phone with Joey Gatewood, Matthew Hill, Anthony Schwartz, Justyn Ross and others in that game to make sure the Auburn commits in that game are holding up their end of the recruiting bargain.

3. Tutt is expecting good news from Anthony Schwartz on Thursday.

Speaking of recruits at the Under Armour Game, Tutt had a smirk come across his face when talking about Schwartz. Tutt sent this cryptic tweet on the first day of the early signing period.

He doesn’t want to confirm just yet who it was, but he decided not to deny whether or not it was Schwartz. The “nobody catching him” mantra matches up because Schwartz is arguably the fastest college football recruit in the nation. Plus, Tutt has a strong relationship with Schwartz after the two matched up against one another several times at the Opening.

While he wouldn’t confirm his prior tweet, Tutt said he fully expects Auburn to pick up good news when Schwartz makes his decision on Thursday night.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Even though he hasn't been a long commit, I think Tutt will be a @GwillMac6 favorite...

giphy.gif

Getting the two fastest kids in Florida is like getting the two,  uh, most extreme examples in, uh, an already extreme category.

I really should've workshopped that one a little before taking it on the road. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Getting the two fastest kids in Florida is like getting the two,  uh, most extreme examples in, uh, an already extreme category.

I really should've workshopped that one a little before taking it on the road. 

Yes you should've

:poke:

3 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

bird knows that more then anyone on this board.

So you admit you suck? He's always saying you do.

Don't look now but AU is 1 of only 4 teams with 15 or more 4* or better signees/commits. The other 3 being UGA, tOSU, & Texas. The depth of this class is very nice.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Don't look now but AU is 1 of only 4 teams with 15 or more 4* or better signees/commits. The other 3 being UGA, tOSU, & Texas. The depth of this class is very nice.

That's a beautiful stat.