2018 Recruiting thread (Updated 1/29/18)

ellitor

Quindarious Monday is the top DB prospect in GA this year imo. He's probably the top safety in the Southeast. He has the talent to be a 3 and out kid. I absolutely love that kids ability, and personality. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AU-HANDLEY-TIGER said:

If we don't offer and get Bo Nix something is seriously wrong.

We offered a long, long time ago.

• Like 1

40 yard 

Joiner 4.76

Provens 4.73

Shedrick Jackson 4.55

Matthew Hill 4.60

Jibunor 4.71

Seth Williams 4.75

JJ Peterson 4.77

Marquez Ezzard 4.79

Justyn Ross 4.87

Coynis Miller 5.02

Interesting times for all these 4.4 hand timed WRs and RBs.  Shedrick Jackson and Justyn Ross are the biggest surprises IMO.  Also that Coynis Miller is fast at 5.02.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

40 yard 

Joiner 4.76

Provens 4.73

Shedrick Jackson 4.55

Matthew Hill 4.60

Jibunor 4.71

Seth Williams 4.75

JJ Peterson 4.77

Marquez Ezzard 4.79

Justyn Ross 4.87

Coynis Miller 5.02

By all accounts it was a very slow surface, whatever that means.

Have to remember a lot of these guys are 16/17 years old.  But you would be very surprised at the number of high school players that run slower then a 5.0.  At 4.8 you are flying for most players.  Anything faster then that and you are probably elite speed.  Anyone 4.6 or under laser timed in high school is an absolute burner.  

29 minutes ago, mikeymac said:

To be fair, I would still bet that Ross runs faster than a 4.87. 

Ross might not run track.  I don't know.  Maybe he plays basketball and not in sprinter shape.  Or bad jump or anything like that.  Football speed and track speed aren't the same but gives a good baseline.  

He only jumped a 27.3 on the vertical.  To put into perspective Coynis Miller jumped 27.9.  Yikes. I could definitely see Ross' rating drop.

Shedrick Jackson 38.5 vertical

Edited by corchjay

57 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Ross might not run track.  I don't know.  Maybe he plays basketball and not in sprinter shape.  Or bad jump or anything like that.  Football speed and track speed aren't the same but gives a good baseline.  

He only jumped a 27.3 on the vertical.  To put into perspective Coynis Miller jumped 27.9.  Yikes. I could definitely see Ross' rating drop.

GREAT! now other schools can back off of him while we zero in on him even more! haha

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

GREAT! now other schools can back off of him while we zero in on him even more! haha

giphy.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, corchjay said:

I like to think of it as he just had a off day. It happens sometimes, a WR drops everything thrown to him, a pitcher can't hit the strike zone. 

3 hours ago, corchjay said:

I forgot to mention Ross has a nagging hamstring injury right now. That will affect his performance on a number of skill tests.

Nope. I think everyone should just back off because he's not as athletic as they thought. We'll stay on him, but I think they should back off. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Nope. I think everyone should just back off because he's not as athletic as they thought. We'll stay on him, but I think they should back off. 

Oops! The Sheldon Cooper in me strikes again.

Two standout visitors set to attend Saturday scrimmage

One weekend sits between Auburn and its A-Day spring game.

The Tigers won’t settle on the recruiting trail in that time, however. Auburn will participate in its second spring scrimmage on Saturday in Jordan-Hare Stadium. Like last weekend, the Tigers will host some of their top targets inside the stadium for unofficial visits.

At least two key offensive targets will be there: Richard Gouraige and Tyneil Hopper.

Richard-Gouraige-by-Chris-Kirschner_wxl9
Auburn OT target Richard Gouraige (Chris Kirschner/SEC Country)

Gouraige might be Auburn’s top offensive line target in the 2018 class. The 6-foot-5, 271-pound offensive tackle is ranked No. 6 at the position in the 2018 class. He’s listed as the 61st overall prospect in the nation, according to the 247Sports composite rankings. Florida, Clemson and North Carolina are the other schools considered to be heavily in the mix for Gouraige.

Auburn offered Gouraige last February.

Hopper will make his second visit to Auburn since Larry Porter took over as tight ends coach. He was the first prospect invited on campus by Porter when the new tight ends coach made the move from North Carolina to Auburn. Hopper attended Auburn on Porter’s first official day on the job. Hopper’s brother plays at North Carolina, which is where his relationship with Porter originally formed.

That’s not Hopper’s only connection to Auburn. He goes to Roswell High (Ga.), the same HS program as Auburn early enrollee QB Malik Willis. Willis and Hopper played together last season.

• Like 1