2018 Recruiting thread (Updated 1/29/18)

ellitor

22 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

Our class seems to be struggling here at the moment, with possible negative news on Trey Hill, Kayode Ugly and Emory Jones. We also don't seem to be in it with any real five stars down the stretch. Hope we can turn it around.

Not getting 5*s will not make or break this class. We are as deep as nearly any class on depth with #4*s in the class. We are also 8th overall & 5th in star average.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

Our class seems to be struggling here at the moment, with possible negative news on Trey Hill, Kayode Ugly and Emory Jones. We also don't seem to be in it with any real five stars down the stretch. Hope we can turn it around.

I wish I had a million facepalms for this.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

Let me be clear...I love our class so far. It seems to be struggling "at the moment."

Disagree.

Trey Hill is still a toss up just as he virtually has been all along.
Still lead for Anthony Schwartz.
Right in it w/ Justyn Ross
Have made a huge move w/ Richard Gouraige to be in the game w/ him
Likely still lead for Andrex Fox
Likely still lead w/ Kayode Oladele if the staff still wants him
AU remains a serious threat to flip Quay Walker

30 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Disagree.

Trey Hill is still a toss up just as he virtually has been all along.
Still lead for Anthony Schwartz.
Right in it w/ Justyn Ross
Have made a huge move w/ Richard Gouraige to be in the game w/ him
Likely still lead for Andrex Fox
Likely still lead w/ Kayode Oladele if the staff still wants him
AU remains a serious threat to flip Quay Walker

Love it.

• Like 1

I also think we’re getting great vibes from jj Peterson since Pruitt left for Tennessee!

47 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

How does this new signing period work?

3 days for all high schooler SRs to sign. Dev. 20-22. It's binding just like NLIs signed in February even if coaches leave.

Is there a thread on when it is,

In about 10 days or so.

who we're expecting to sign, etc? I couldn't find anything about it.

Most commits are expected to sign & here are the EEs from previous page on this thread....

Edited by ellitor
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, toddc said:

I also think we’re getting great vibes from jj Peterson since Pruitt left for Tennessee!

Vols may be tough to beat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

What are the dates? Do we expect any early enrollees or possible surprises?

Look up a couple of posts.

49 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

23 has been very quiet lately. I don't like those times. 

Again. He has a very busy life. When he is able to come by it should be seen as a treat & not an expectation.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

23 has been very quiet lately. I don't like those times. 

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Again. He has a very busy life. When he is able to come by it should be seen as a treat & not an expectation.

I sent him a message last week and they responded so he/she is ok!  That was my concern. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

I sent him a message last week and they responded so he/she is ok!  That was my concern. 

Good deal!

On 12/9/2017 at 12:02 AM, ClaytonAU said:

I wish I had a million facepalms for this.

We, as Auburn fans, understand that this class and yrs past have been pretty good. Maybe as good as we can ever hope for. But who is Auburn compared to?

You have to understand where our concerns are generating from.  Maybe your sunshine pumping is what we need. I'm sure it is better than negativity. But to facepalm what I think is a legit concern? 

The reality is there are only three football teams in the world. AU, bama, uga. That's it. When another program decides to compete for the sec, then I'll reconsider.

So with that in mind, nationwide recruiting rankings don't matter. The ranking that matters is among 3 teams. 1st, 2nd, or 3rd is the only position Auburn can finish in my ranking system. How we fair against bama, uga is all that matters. We need to win this every few yrs to compete. We almost always get 3rd. Not good. 

The last 10 yrs what is our record vs our rivals? We won two games this yr and we rushed the field. It was awesome, but damn.

That is why some Auburn fans who follow recruiting are concerned. I'm not going to tip toe around it. It may be unrealistic expectations, but it is our reality. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

We, as Auburn fans, understand that this class and yrs past have been pretty good. Maybe as good as we can ever hope for. But who is Auburn compared to?

You have to understand where our concerns are generating from.  Maybe your sunshine pumping is what we need. I'm sure it is better than negativity. But to facepalm what I think is a legit concern? 

The reality is there are only three football teams in the world. AU, bama, uga. That's it. When another program decides to compete for the sec, then I'll reconsider.

So with that in mind, nationwide recruiting rankings don't matter. The ranking that matters is among 3 teams. 1st, 2nd, or 3rd is the only position Auburn can finish in my ranking system. How we fair against bama, uga is all that matters. We need to win this every few yrs to compete. We almost always get 3rd. Not good. 

The last 10 yrs what is our record vs our rivals? We won two games this yr and we rushed the field. It was awesome, but damn.

That is why some Auburn fans who follow recruiting are concerned. I'm not going to tip toe around it. It may be unrealistic expectations, but it is our reality. 

Look man, I get it. But I’ve explained it to you already, E has as well. This is a great class that has potential to be Gus’ best class since he’s been here. We’ve sucked against our rivals but Gus has given us quality depth at most positions and it seems we’re going to compete for the SEC every year from here on out as long as Gus continues to recruit at a high level. I guess the only thing I don’t understand is do you think we could recruit any better at all? Kirby is shutting GA down and Saban is the best recruiter of all time. What exactly do you expect us to do? 

23 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

he only thing I don’t understand is do you think we could recruit any better at all?

Unless you had a Bruce Pearl type with charasma & understanding of marketing, nope. Gus & his staff have done a damn good job of getting us top 11 classes each of the past 8 years & top 10 7 of the past 8. AU is a very tough job & competitive location to be consistently pulling in top 3-5 classes. We have to start winning 10+ or more consistently & a coach with the recruiting "it" factor. Those guys don't grow on trees.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

I guess the only thing I don’t understand is do you think we could recruit any better at all? Kirby is shutting GA down and Saban is the best recruiter of all time. What exactly do you expect us to do? 

"it's tough being an Auburn fan."

We have to keep fighting these battles. We win a few. We can't let Kirby lock Georgia down. 

I wish we would expand our recruiting area. I believe AU is a national brand in college football and we need to recruit like that. For a stud player in whisky, philly, or cali, atleast make some calls and see if there is interest. Hell, we got 3 Citations, go see them. I feel like we would land some. 

Also, when we hired Malzahn, someone said AU would be the Oregon of the South. Fast paced, spread, dual threat qb. I love this because on offense, it means we could recruit different type of talent and may not have to battle with bama/uga. I believe there is an advantage to this, but bama is going more spread and uga got Fields. So idk. On defense, Garner and twill have been doing great. 

And then, most importantly, any delta in recruiting will have to be made up in player development and x and os. Malzahn's offense helps with x and os, jury is out on player development.

Main thing just keep fighting. And keep spending money. Gus got the big contract. Now isn't the time to skimp on recruiting expenses. Buy another jet and pilot and visit 25% more players. 

I'd be all over Louisiana. Ed O is going to fail and we need to take advantage of it.

Oh, and, "keep it down home cuz."

• Like 2

On 12/9/2017 at 8:16 AM, War to the Eagle said:

Let me be clear...I love our class so far. It seems to be struggling "at the moment."

What does that even mean?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

Look man, I get it. But I’ve explained it to you already, E has as well. This is a great class that has potential to be Gus’ best class since he’s been here. We’ve sucked against our rivals but Gus has given us quality depth at most positions and it seems we’re going to compete for the SEC every year from here on out as long as Gus continues to recruit at a high level. I guess the only thing I don’t understand is do you think we could recruit any better at all? Kirby is shutting GA down and Saban is the best recruiter of all time. What exactly do you expect us to do? 

Kirby Smart is shutting Georgia down like Hugh Freeze shut Mississippi down

• Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

lol now clay come on. What exactly do you expect us to do? That is a terrible argument and reasoning! That sounds kinda defeatist! I know you are not that guy!! You want to win just as badly as anyone. I expect our 7 million dollar a year head coach to win some key battles. For us to consistently take that next step and win against lsu, georgia and bama more often we need to make a move in to the top 5 every once in awhile. I am not expecting to win every battle vs kirby. Or even the majority but I do expect us to win the battles on elite recruits in georgia at the same clip we did vs richt. This class is really good but man I want to be great and I know you do to and every other Auburn fan does as well. We measure ourselves against the best. Not the rest of the pack. If clemson can basically pick and choose who they want we should as well. We after all historically are a way better version of clemson. War Damn eagle fam!!! Lets crush the end of this season in crutin!!! Saturdays are won in the living room. We still fam though!!!

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3

Agree to everything everyone said!

@GwillMac6 it wasn’t a defeatist attitude as much as we’re doing a helluva job now winning a lot of battles as it is. Where we’re at now is really good!

@SKIPPER_01 agree on building our national brand. We need to get into Cali and up the east coast. 

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

@GwillMac6 it wasn’t a defeatist attitude as much as we’re doing a helluva job now winning a lot of battles as it is. Where we’re at now is really good!

@SKIPPER_01 agree on building our national brand. We need to get into Cali and up the east coast. 

tenor.gif?itemid=3562169

10 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I feel like chizik did a better job of this than gus. Casting a wider net and getting big fish in obscure places. May just be some bad perception by me but just seems like gus mainly sticks to georgia, florida and bama. I REALLY wish we had a bigger presence in mississippi. That state should be ripe for the picking now with ole miss coming back down to earth and a new head coach at miss st with no ties to the south. With chiz I remember us recruiting well in there. When we originally signed shon coleman he was the number 1 player or close to it for MISS that season.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1