2018 Recruiting thread (Updated 1/29/18)

ellitor

Auburn has never consistently out-recruited Alabama, Georgia, Florida or Tennessee. Yet our overall records against those four is pretty darned good. We don't have to out recruit them. If we just stay close, we'll do more than our share of winning.

• Like 5

JJ Peterson was tight with Jeremy Pruit.   I suspect Auburn may have moved into the lead with this thumper.   We need to be swarming him right now.   Or is this a dead period?  Either way, you get my drift.

3 hours ago, Beaker said:

JJ Peterson was tight with Jeremy Pruit.   I suspect Auburn may have moved into the lead with this thumper.   We need to be swarming him right now.   Or is this a dead period?  Either way, you get my drift.

Bama was already leading. The Vols may be leading now.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Bama was already leading. The Vols may be leading now.

maybe....I heard an interview on a podcast and this man-child seems to be cagey and not sharing a lot in interviews.  He said he was probably second closest to T-Will.  

Maybe we catch a break with this one.  I am sure bama is pushing the "business decision" with this one, if you know his background.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Beaker said:

He said he was probably second closest to T-Will. 

In terms of college coaches yes but he is closest to his high school coach more than anything & Propst will likely push him to his prodigee in Pruitt at UT.

• Like 2

has Pruitt added his DC yet? Just curious. I wonder if the 2018 class is going to exceed the 2017 class in overall ranking. Gus has done a masterful job since he came here with very good recruiting classes each of his 5 years and counting. Since his first class, how would this class rank so far? Just curious.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

has Pruitt added his DC yet?

Yes. He's doing Co-DCs with Kevin Sherrer from UGa & Chris Rumph from Florida. Another interesting note. he hired Tracy Rocker as the DL coach.

29 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I wonder if the 2018 class is going to exceed the 2017 class in overall ranking. Gus has done a masterful job since he came here with very good recruiting classes each of his 5 years and counting. Since his first class, how would this class rank so far? Just curious.

Hard to say. It depend on how AU & other teams finish the class. Check back in February.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Any chance with this guy? Did we stop recruiting him?

Yes. No. It's an AU, Vols, Florida, Miss St, Memphis battle.

• Thanks 1

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Hey @ellitor. I keep seeing people mention on the recruiting sites that we might be taking 26 instead of 25. Any clue what that's all about?

Carlito's NLI may not count against our 2017 #s since Memphis enrolled him as part of their 25 for the same year. Not sure if a player can count to the 25 limit for 2 schools in the same year.

Still will go with the 25 limit til AU recruiting reporters concretely report otherwise.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Carlito's NLI may not count against our 2017 #s since Memphis enrolled him as part of their 25 for the same year. Not sure if a player can count to the 25 limit for 2 schools in the same year.

Still will go with the 25 limit til AU recruiting reporters concretely report otherwise.

Thanks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Thanks.

Actually Memphis may have counted him to 2018 since he did not enroll til August.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Actually Memphis may have counted him to 2018 since he did not enroll til August.

Since he did not qualify academically (at Auburn per media reports), does he not count against the 25 limit for 2017?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Since he did not qualify academically (at Auburn per media reports), does he not count against the 25 limit for 2017?

As stated above don't know since he enrolled at another FBS School. NCAA passed a rule in June that normally all signees count to a yearly scholly limit even if they don't qualify.

Edited by ellitor

Our o-line this year were penalized for holding only 3 times...What guys should we expect to have a chance with? Richard Guirauge... Idk how to spell his name, Goss? I don't usually pay attention to o-line recruiting but we need some hosses. 

10 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Our o-line this year were penalized for holding only 3 times...What guys should we expect to have a chance with? Richard Guirauge... Idk how to spell his name, Goss? I don't usually pay attention to o-line recruiting but we need some hosses. 

Gouraige, Barnes, Goss, & probably a GT in the mix somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If we land Gouraige, that would be a huge pull. To my eye, he looks like a future elite guy. Very big, very long arms, quick feet. Setting aside our currently committed players, he’s number one on my personal most wanted list. 

• Like 1

Just a follow up.. I talked to Asa Martin last night at our hs basketball game.  Showing off his new AU swag, he sounded very excited about everything. He his a hard working, wonderful young man and we told him we would see him again on the Plains soon (A-day).  I love seeing that he might be able to continue to wear the #20 jersey.  Life is Good, War Eagle!!  

Asa Martin #20 first practice.jpeg

• Like 4

I hope Gus adds another ace recruiter with his new assistant position. Good class for AU but the competition is cutthroat with Bama, Clemson and UGA in direct competition for most players we are after.  Still think the offensive side of the ball needs a jolt recruiting wise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aufootball1 said:

Just a follow up.. I talked to Asa Martin last night at our hs basketball game.  Showing off his new AU swag, he sounded very excited about everything. He his a hard working, wonderful young man and we told him we would see him again on the Plains soon (A-day).  I love seeing that he might be able to continue to wear the #20 jersey.  Life is Good, War Eagle!!  

Asa Martin #20 first practice.jpeg

Like seeing Kam in a non-contact Jersey... makes you question the "he's in trouble" storyline a little. Of course seeing Kerryon makes one feel less enthusiastic, but hopefully it's just precautionary.

Also love that Asa is sporting the Carl Lawson look of seriousness on his face.