2018 Recruiting thread (Updated 1/29/18)

ellitor

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That's an early time to announce if he is waiting on Auburn offer.  Could be pushing the situation a bit to get Auburn to bite? Or already has the offer? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

That's an early time to announce if he is waiting on Auburn offer.  Could be pushing the situation a bit to get Auburn to bite? Or already has the offer? 

I think we will know long by then if we missed or not on our targets higher on the board.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

I think we will know long by then if we missed or not on our targets higher on the board.

As long as these kids inform the coaches the night before on their choices. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I think we have enough offensive linemen to get us through 2018, and I think we will load up on them in next year's class. And yes, I do think we've signed enough good athletes to keep up with UAT and UGA.

I hope you are right but I don't see us beating Ugag again for quite some time.  It's not like the last ten years have been close in the series and Kirby has taken the talent to another level.  It doesn't just stop with talent either.  Ugag finally has a coach that understands that winning in the SEC means running the football.  They have a stable full to do just that and they are signing the crud out of OL to pave the way.  It's gonna be a tough road for the good guys.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, NorthGATiger said:

I hope you are right but I don't see us beating Ugag again for quite some time.  It's not like the last ten years have been close in the series and Kirby has taken the talent to another level.  It doesn't just stop with talent either.  Ugag finally has a coach that understands that winning in the SEC means running the football.  They have a stable full to do just that and they are signing the crud out of OL to pave the way.  It's gonna be a tough road for the good guys.

When comparing OL classes they completely kicked our tails. That was a way bigger blow out than us beating them in game 1 or them spanking us in the rematch. That is where they really separated themselves. No other league than the sec is recruiting more important on the OL and DL. We came up empty in a class where we desperately needed not to. That is what is so frustrating. We prioritized OL this class and we just did not deliver. Inexcusable when you recruit as well as we do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

When comparing OL classes they completely kicked our tails. That was a way bigger blow out than us beating them in game 1 or them spanking us in the rematch. That is where they really separated themselves. No other league than the sec is recruiting more important on the OL and DL. We came up empty in a class where we desperately needed not to. That is what is so frustrating. We prioritized OL this class and we just did not deliver. Inexcusable when you recruit as well as we do.

Look at the OL class they had last year as well.

• Sad 1

Just now, NorthGATiger said:

Look at the OL class they had last year as well.

I do not want to! lol. It will make me feel even worse. At least our OL class last year was in the ballpark. This year though......

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I do not want to! lol. It will make me feel even worse. At least our OL class last year was in the ballpark. This year though......

Last year they signed 

the #5 and #9 OT in the country
the #6 Gaurd in the country
the #2 Juco OT
All top 100 nationally

Kirby isn't even waiting on the lights out signal in the prison before he does his deeds.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

OK so,you think we will sign recruits that will meet our needs at OL and that missing out on critical recruits at LB and DB are OK with you on NSD?  But, I will play to your overall theme, you think we have signed and will sign on NSD players that will enable us to compete with UGA and spuat consistently going forward given what uga and spuat has just signed and just had committed in the long term?  Just asking.

wde

If you aren't going to quote someone then at least @ them. This post makes little sense to me by itself.

Guys. Stay on Auburn. If you want to talk UGA recruiting there's a thread for them at the top of the Rivals section. No personal offense to anyone. I'm just sick of hearing & reading about UGA right now.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Remember, recruiting is an inexact science, and football players don't always stay at the position they were recruited at. I played in high school against Ben Grubbs, who was a linebacker and tight end/fullback for Elmore County High School. He projected on defensive line at that point, but was drafted as a guard. Think he's still in the League, too.

Would I have liked to sign a full O-line class this year? Yes, of course I would. But I'm not jumping off any bridges when I know we still have some talent hanging around for the immediate future. Tega got his feet wet, and Calvin Ashley got a year of conditioning to catch up. I expect them to be the starting tackles, and we have at least Sammons and Troxell to back them up, so it's not like we're running out of bodies just yet (knock on wood). We've got two guards with starting experience (though word has it one of them will sit behind Hamm), and we've got a couple of options at center...I'm guessing Nick Brahms will win that job, but that's pure speculation.

We'll have to sign at least 5 in 2019, though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Remember, recruiting is an inexact science, and football players don't always stay at the position they were recruited at. I played in high school against Ben Grubbs, who was a linebacker and tight end/fullback for Elmore County High School. He projected on defensive line at that point, but was drafted as a guard. Think he's still in the League, too.

Would I have liked to sign a full O-line class this year? Yes, of course I would. But I'm not jumping off any bridges when I know we still have some talent hanging around for the immediate future. Tega got his feet wet, and Calvin Ashley got a year of conditioning to catch up. I expect them to be the starting tackles, and we have at least Sammons and Troxell to back them up, so it's not like we're running out of bodies just yet (knock on wood). We've got two guards with starting experience (though word has it one of them will sit behind Hamm), and we've got a couple of options at center...I'm guessing Nick Brahms will win that job, but that's pure speculation.

We'll have to sign at least 5 in 2019, though.

Not sure Troxell will be available in the fall.  He’s still got a long way to go health wise.  Sammons/Ashley will be the competition at RT.  Brahms/Kim at center with Horton and Irving getting snaps and practice snaps

53 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Not sure Troxell will be available in the fall.  He’s still got a long way to go health wise.  Sammons/Ashley will be the competition at RT.  Brahms/Kim at center with Horton and Irving getting snaps and practice snaps

I didn't realize Troxell was still battling injury. Yeah, we're thin on the line, but we've still got talent.

Oh, and the word I've heard on Kim is that he's not living up to what the coaches were hoping...something to do with limited reach. That's why I predicted Brahms to win C.

2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

As it always will be. We need our players playing smash-mouth football and not letting the thought of the team giving up or not giving their all be close to being brought up. Like we all know we have been in the top 10 in recruiting just like them and uat and I will keep saying it....I'm tired of the little brother syndrome...not saying you're implying that but I'm tired of fans making excuses for the team like for morning games and bowl games that they should care about....We have elite talent...We're set up for great qb play for years to come as well as rb's per usual and d-line. Those areas are very important as we all know for the sec and the whole league. We need young guys like Smoke to instill that dog into the secondary just like the eagles had. I see one factor that could keep us back and you know what that is. We are looking pretty dang solid across the board right now though and watch out for the 2019 class. We get Noah Cain to go along with Pickens and Nix and that is a major driving force for that class. 

Edited by WFE12
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I didn't realize Troxell was still battling injury. Yeah, we're thin on the line, but we've still got talent.

Oh, and the word I've heard on Kim is that he's not living up to what the coaches were hoping...something to do with limited reach. That's why I predicted Brahms to win C.

Damn. I’m really sad that Kim’s arms shrunk after we signed him?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In the 125 years that we have been playing UGA in football, I'd be surprised if we have "out recruited" them 20 times. Yet the overall record is 56- 58-8. We don't have to out recruit them, just stay close and we'll win our share.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

In the 125 years that we have been playing UGA in football, I'd be surprised if we have "out recruited" them 20 times. Yet the overall record is 56- 58-8. We don't have to out recruit them, just stay close and we'll win our share.

In my 28 years I have NEVER seen them recruit this good. I was not scared of richt on the trail. Kirby scares the heck out of me. He is a monster. This feels a lot different than how they recruited before. Yah they have mostly always out recruited us but they are recruiting elite the last 2 classes. saban territory. ANYWAYS back to Auburn since someone will hate more of the georgia talk!!! lol This class would go from really good to great if we just met our obvious needs on the OL. We failed to do that which leaves fans underwhelmed. OL and DL are the 2 positions where you cannot have a class like this. Not with the way we recruit. We are to good for this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Auburn’s 2018 class will soon be finished.

It’s possible the Tigers try to find one more missing piece through the grad transfer market post-Signing Day, but by most metrics, the end is here. Auburn is in a position to finish with another top-10 class if it grabs a few of the right commitments Wednesday on National Signing Day.

Here’s a look at what every Auburn fan needs to know going into the big day:

Who announces on National Signing Day?

The early signing period hasn’t taken away from the first Wednesday in February. All eyes are fully on the recruiting world for the first National Signing Day of the new era. Auburn will be one of many programs with its sights set on the decisions of several top Class of 2018 prospects.

As of now, there are nine final decisions to watch closely Wednesday.

• 4-star DL Caleb Tannor, Lithonia, Ga.*
  • 4-star OT Richard Gouraige, Tampa, Fla.
  • 4-star LB Quay Walker, Cordele, Ga.*
  • 4-star WR Justyn Ross, Phenix City, Ala.*
  • 4-star WR Ja’Marr Chase, Metairie, La.*
  • 4-star WR Matthew Hill, Snellville, Ga.
  • 4-star DL Malik Langham, Huntsville, Ala.*
  • 3-star DL Caleb Johnson, Columbus, Ga.*
  • 3-star DB Cam Taylor, Montgomery, Ala.*
  • 3-star ATH Kolbi Fuqua, Cordova, Ala.

The six names with asterisks next to them are the prospects with organized commitment announcements and are expected to pick new schools. The other three — Gouraige, Fuqua and Hill — remain committed to Florida and Auburn, respectively. It would be somewhat of a surprise if either were to flip their commitment, so it’s possible they simply sign paperwork without much hubbub.

Nonetheless, those are three final decisions to track Wednesday.

This list doesn’t include Auburn commits Coynis Miller, Arryn Siposs, Richard Jibunor, Roger McCreary and Anthony Schwartz, who all expect to sign Wednesday with no drama or mystery.

Who is trending in what direction?

Heading into National Signing Day, Auburn ranks No. 10 in the national team recruiting rankings, according to the 247Sports composite. The Tigers hold 23 commitments so far, but they have room to add three more in the class. With potential grad transfer options out there, it’s quite possible the Tigers only take two commitments Wednesday and focus on finding an immediate-impact offensive lineman through the transfer wire.

There is still moving and shaking to take place in the next 24 hours or so, but here’s a solid look at where things stand right now.

Who’s trending up and who’s trending down for Auburn into the signing day announcements?

Up

• Caleb Johnson. He officially visited Auburn earlier in the month and visited for several games during the fall. It never totally felt like the Tigers were making a serious push for Johnson, rather showing lukewarm interest. That sentiment seems to have changed drastically in the last few days. He’s become a high priority for Auburn. It could be enough to top Florida, though it’ll be tough to hold off Georgia if the Bulldogs push.
  • Cam Taylor. The question has always been: Will Auburn offer? That question still lingers. If not, Taylor will choose between Nebraska, Missouri and Troy. But, based on how other dominoes appear to be falling, Taylor’s chances of receiving an offer may be higher than ever. He’s been in constant communication with Auburn coaches the last few weeks, including defensive coordinator Kevin Steele and defensive backs coach Greg Brown. It’s not a guarantee he’s offered, but the probability is rising.
  • Matthew Hill. The 4-star wide receiver has been committed to Auburn since the summer. He visited the Plains over the weekend and spent most of the day with coaches, so it would come as a major surprise if he flipped his commitment to Clemson on National Signing Day. That’s been the message SEC Country has sent all along, but there were moments in January where doubts were greater than others. Those concerns have gone away from Auburn’s end.
  • Kolbi Fuqua. After being told to hold off in December, it seems less likely that happens given who Auburn anticipates landing on Signing Day. If a few of the “Trending Down” names turn to the “Trending Up” side, it could be cause for concern for Fuqua. But I expect the guy who has been committed since the spring game to finally sign his way into Auburn’s class.

Down

• Caleb Tannor. At one point the most likely to land in Auburn’s class, Tannor’s recruitment has taken a drastic downward turn for the Tigers. Florida or Nebraska are now the more probably landing spots. This was somewhat of a mutual decision from Auburn and Tannor.
  • Quay Walker. Once thought to be an Auburn lean by several sources, the Jeremy Pruitt move to Tennessee appears to make the Volunteers the biggest threat to his Alabama commitment. In fact, Tennessee or Georgia are more likely to flip him than Alabama is to hold onto him. It’s hard to know where Auburn fits into that equation at this time, but it’s certainly more negative than positive.
  • Richard Gouraige. The Herb Hand departure came at an inconvenient time for Auburn. It forced Gouraige to rearrange his official visit schedule, which allowed Florida to shore things up prior to his official visit to Auburn. That will make it tough for the Tigers to pull off the flip.
  • Malik Langham. Despite his childhood Auburn fandom, the push from the Tigers came a little bit too late, it seems. Alabama gathered all the momentum prior to the Auburn official visit. Even though he adjusted his schedule for the Tigers, the Crimson Tide are the ones to watch come Signing Day.
  • Ja’Marr Chase. That Auburn-LSU battle will end happily for the home-state school. The Metairie, La., native showed interest in several out-of-state programs throughout the process. Auburn was the last one to get in the picture and make a last-ditch effort. Instead, LSU will finally grab a commitment from a guy it has been courting for the long haul.
  • Justyn Ross. The top-ranked prospect in the state of Alabama has a track record recently of picking the Crimson Tide. That’s the expectation here. Even if it isn’t, Clemson is the more probable landing spot than Auburn.

@McLoofus here is more of those words you have coveted! lol

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Caleb Tannor. At one point the most likely to land in Auburn’s class, Tannor’s recruitment has taken a drastic downward turn for the Tigers. Florida or Nebraska are now the more probably landing spots. This was somewhat of a mutual decision from Auburn and Tannor.

Mutual my ass. CT gave silent commits to all 3 teams on their in home visits last week. Gus found out what CT said to UF & the Cornies and said, "I ain't playing these games, especially since I have a Buck prospect like Jibunor and a very good DL option in Caleb Johnson".

giphy.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

Looks like Johnson and Taylor to me. Still hope for a surprise like Walker but it's a long shot I know.

17 hours ago, Mikey said:

If you don't  realize how the recruiting dynamics have changed since Smart became UGA's HC then just damn...... you need to wake up.  FWIW, the dynamics that have changed has nothing to do with anything other than Smart being a relentless recruiter who will push everything recruiting to the edge.  Gus has to match Smart in the relentless area or we (AU) are going to be left very far behind very soon.  Waiting for some phantom sanctions against UGA and spuat because they cheat and always out recruit us are just simply stupid.  AU recruits the same way Smart at uga and Saban at spuat does.   We are simply not as good at it, nor to we have the inside connections in Alabama.   That doesn't mean we aren't trying just as hard as uga and spuat.  Hell, Pat Dye modeled our program after his idol (Bear Bryant) and cheated just as hard as Bear did.  Jay Jacobs was a Dye boy (and the only reason JJ became AD), so anyone with an IQ above 10 should understand.

wde

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

If you don't  realize how the recruiting dynamics have changed since Smart became UGA's HC then just damn...... you need to wake up.  FWIW, the dynamics that have changed has nothing to do with anything other than Smart being a relentless recruiter who will push everything recruiting to the edge.  Gus has to match Smart in the relentless area or we (AU) are going to be left very far behind very soon.  Waiting for some phantom sanctions against UGA and spuat because they cheat and always out recruit us are just simply stupid.  AU recruits the same way Smart at uga and Saban at spuat does.   We are simply not as good at it, nor to we have the inside connections in Alabama.   That doesn't mean we aren't trying just as hard as uga and spuat.  Hell, Pat Dye modeled our program after his idol (Bear Bryant) and cheated just as hard as Bear did.  Jay Jacobs was a Dye boy (and the only reason JJ became AD), so anyone with an IQ above 10 should understand.

wde

Well it's a good thing Georgia recruiting & booming & KS can't take them all. There were 40 4*s or better in Georgia in 2018 & already 44 4*s or better in 2019. KS can only take 25 of them each year. Enough talent there to go around..

And Gus doesn't play the game the way those guys do. Just something we have to accept while he is here.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

Where do you pull this silly stuff from? Oh wait, never mind,  I have a good idea. I didn't say a thing about sanctions.

No we don't have to out recruit them to beat them regularly, history proves that. Apparently Smart appears in your nightmares as some weird bogyman, appearing at your bedside with blood dripping from a sword. Relax, it's not reality, simply a bad dream. It will all be ok. Gus beat him 40-17 just a little over two months ago and he'll beat him again. Go back to sleep now, the sun will come up tomorrow and the big, bad fearsome Smart will disappear until dark time comes to your house again.

• Haha 1

Keith's National Signing Day Eve free preview.