2018 Recruiting thread (Updated 1/29/18)

ellitor

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Where do you pull this silly stuff from? Oh wait, never mind,  I have a good idea. I didn't say a thing about sanctions.

No we don't have to out recruit them to beat them regularly, history proves that. Apparently Smart appears in your nightmares as some weird bogyman, appearing at your bedside with blood dripping from a sword. Relax, it's not reality, simply a bad dream. It will all be ok. Gus beat him 40-17 just a little over two months ago and he'll beat him again. Go back to sleep now, the sun will come up tomorrow and the big, bad fearsome Smart will disappear until dark time comes to your house again.

Are you seriously  this myopic where it concerns Smart and uga?

wde

49 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well it's a good thing Georgia recruiting & booming & KS can't take them all. There were 40 4*s or better in Georgia in 2018 & already 44 4*s or better in 2019. KS can only take 25 of them each year. Enough talent there to go around..

And Gus doesn't play the game the way those guys do. Just something we have to accept while he is here.

Much like Tuberville when Saban was hired.  Gus better either start playing the game much better or Gus (and ultimately the AU football program) will be looking way up at both of our rivals.  2017 regular season was an outlier. To ignore what Smart is doing at uga is the same as ignoring what Saban started at spuat when he was hired.

wde

Edited by AUIH1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, AUIH1 said:

Much like Tuberville when Saban was hired.  Gus better either start playing the game much better or Gus (and ultimately the AU football program) will be looking way up at both of our rivals.  2017 regular season was an outlier.

wde

There are places to still get talent for top 10 classes. The aforementioned Georgia. Mississippi is looooooaded this cycle,  & there's an opportunity to do work in Florida with 2 unproven staffs at UF & FSU in terms of recruiting.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ellitor said:

There are places to still get talent for top 10 classes. The aforementioned Georgia. Mississippi is looooooaded this cycle,  & there's an opportunity to do work in Florida with 2 unproven staffs at UF & FSU in terms of recruiting.

E, I hope you are correct.  Kirby is going to take all that he wants and will grayshirt those we want.  Saban is going to continue to be a top 3 (recruiting smartly).  We are banking on a new assistant coach to real in all of these great MS recruits.  We were also supposedly (in on)  a lot of recruits that we really needed this recruiting cycle and unless some big surprises happen tomorrow, we are going to miss out (primarily on the OL). 

wde

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

E, I hope you are correct.  Kirby is going to take all that he wants and will grayshirt those we want.  Saban is going to continue to be a top 3 (recruiting smartly).  We are banking on a new assistant coach to real in all of these great MS recruits.  We were also supposedly (in on)  a lot of recruits that we really needed this recruiting cycle and unless some big surprises happen tomorrow, we are going to miss out (primarily on the OL). 

wde

I will meet you halfway, @AUIH1 I look at it this way. There were two signing days for AU. The early one, most of us were very happy with. A lot of star power, met a lot of needs, and won some important head to head battles with Bama, UGA, Clemson, etc....Tomorrow is not shaping up to be a good day for us. We lost entirely too many head to head battles in positions of need, and the majority of these kids we had a ton of time and visits invested in. Especially disappointing is once again we failed to take advantage of momentum. Beat both National Championship participants decisively, lit it up with the passing and running game, top 10 defense, a trip to the SECG, and an extension for our HC. We should have been able to close as strong as we did on early signing day.  We failed to close aggressively, period. So I don’t believe we are doomed in recruiting. We’ve signed a ton of talent. But I agree that we are dealing with a perfect storm in a bad way: our 2 biggest rivals are Alpha and all business. We need to get off the ropes, go Roberto Duran on them and go to the middle of the ring and meet them punch for punch. If we do, we will be fine. If we don’t, we won’t. 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

I will meet you halfway, @AUIH1 I look at it this way. There were two signing days for AU. The early one, most of us were very happy with. A lot of star power, met a lot of needs, and won some important head to head battles with Bama, UGA, Clemson, etc....Tomorrow is not shaping up to be a good day for us. We lost entirely too many head to head battles in positions of need, and the majority of these kids we had a ton of time and visits invested in. Especially disappointing is once again we failed to take advantage of momentum. Beat both National Championship participants decisively, lit it up with the passing and running game, top 10 defense, a trip to the SECG, and an extension for our HC. We should have been able to close as strong as we did on early signing day.  We failed to close aggressively, period. So I don’t believe we are doomed in recruiting. We’ve signed a ton of talent. But I agree that we are dealing with a perfect storm in a bad way: our 2 biggest rivals are Alpha and all business. We need to get off the ropes, go Roberto Duran on them and go to the middle of the ring and meet them punch for punch. If we do, we will be fine. If we don’t, we won’t. 

Gus is a beta.  That is our problem.  

wde

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

5 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

We did go Roberto Duran on them. Unfortunately, it was the “No mas” Roberto, lol.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

If I did not know better, one would think that we lost every recruit we had and were at the bottom of the SEC. Come on guys, we are looking at a top 10 class. That is the bottom line. Ask any team below us, and they would die to have our class. Yes, we did not win some of the battles we thought we would have. We have a grand total of maybe 3 slots open after we ink all of the young men we have as hard commits. Our staff has worked hard to keep these recruits in the flock and will show tomorrow.

If we get any of these young men tomorrow, it will be a win......Caleb Johnson from what I have read and gained from those on this site who understand talent, he has better upside than Caleb Tannor and close to Langham. If we land Langham as well, then this is a win win for us no doubt.  Cam Taylor is one of the most underrated talents out there. He would jump at the chance to come to Auburn. We just may not have room for him if Langham and Johnson sign with us. I stay away from being a pessimist in that like many out there, I have some serious health issues and am thankful for being alive and this gives me hope that carries over into all facets of my life. I think that this class is going to be special and will meet a lot of needs.

I think this staff will push hard and heavy for 2019 class and will bring in some nice talent on the OL and DL. We do have 2 quality OL and have met and will likely exceed our quest for DL talent in this class. The OL is not a total loss, but we all wish we had landed a lineman or 2. Who knows, there could be a surprise tomorrow on this front. IF not, then  we can be proud of a top 10 class and will likely meet our needs in 2019 on the OL and DL.

Top 12 class still love it folks!

Edited by doc4aday
  • Like 7

39 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

If I did not know better, one would think that we lost every recruit we had and were at the bottom of the SEC. Come on guys, we are looking at a top 10 class. That is the bottom line. Ask any team below us, and they would die to have our class. Yes, we did not win some of the battles we thought we would have. We have a grand total of maybe 3 slots open after we ink all of the young men we have as hard commits. Our staff has worked hard to keep these recruits in the flock and will show tomorrow.

If we get any of these young men tomorrow, it will be a win......Caleb Johnson from what I have read and gained from those on this site who understand talent, he has better upside than Caleb Tannor and close to Langham. If we land Langham as well, then this is a win win for us no doubt.  Cam Taylor is one of the most underrated talents out there. He would jump at the chance to come to Auburn. We just may not have room for him if Langham and Johnson sign with us. I stay away from being a pessimist in that like many out there, I have some serious health issues and am thankful for being alive and this gives me hope that carries over into all facets of my life. I think that this class is going to be special and will meet a lot of needs.

I think this staff will push hard and heavy for 2019 class and will bring in some nice talent on the OL and DL. We do have 2 quality OL and have met and will likely exceed our quest for DL talent in this class. The OL is not a total loss, but we all wish we had landed a lineman or 2. Who knows, there could be a surprise tomorrow on this front. IF not, then  we can be proud of a top 10 class and will likely meet our needs in 2019 on the OL and DL.

For the most part, I share your optimism. As my earlier post stated, we had an excellent early signing day. At that time we had a top 8-top 10 type class. But I also have to demonstrate realism in that we are going to miss out on some big positions of need, like OT and another LB or CB. We will likely finish in the top 12 or so, and that’s really good. The difference in top 12 versus top 5 is about 2-3 top rated ball players in one year, and 8-10 top related ball players over the course of 3 or 4 years. It has been a very solid recruiting year, but we needed a stronger finish if we are going to take the next step as a program. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

For the most part, I share your optimism. As my earlier post stated, we had an excellent early signing day. At that time we had a top 8-top 10 type class. But I also have to demonstrate realism in that we are going to miss out on some big positions of need, like OT and another LB or CB. We will likely finish in the top 12 or so, and that’s really good. The difference in top 12 versus top 5 is about 2-3 top rated ball players in one year, and 8-10 top related ball players over the course of 3 or 4 years. It has been a very solid recruiting year, but we needed a stronger finish if we are going to take the next step as a program. 

I do understand where you are coming from.  If we sign all we have and add Caleb Johnson, we should still remain in the top 10. If we fall out of the top 10, I would be surprised. If we add Langham, we could finish a notch even higher.  Not many classes will sign 16 4 star recruits. You are right though, we need to finish stronger next year and sign a load of OL & DL. Things are not so bad though in the loveliest village, who knows we might yet pull in an OL after the ink dries tomorrow!

So the opinion of some is just cheat like hell, get busted and go on probation? Brilliant. Things that work for the state schools in places like Alabama, Georgia and Louisiana don't work so great for Auburn, and we generally do pretty well. Some people need to put on their big boy pants and expect our coaches to work harder to get our players conditioned, tough, and smart. Sheesh, what a bunch of defeatist.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

E, I hope you are correct. Kirby is going to take all that he wants and will grayshirt those we want. Saban is going to continue to be a top 3 (recruiting smartly).  We are banking on a new assistant coach to real in all of these great MS recruits.  We were also supposedly (in on)  a lot of recruits that we really needed this recruiting cycle and unless some big surprises happen tomorrow, we are going to miss out (primarily on the OL). 

wde

Guys that are highly sought prospects don't grayshirt. Get a grip, Man. Do you live in mortal fear of Kirby 24/7/365 or is it a seasonal thing? The OL recruiting has been good for the last few years, we can stand one off-year there. Walk back from the edge, we're in good shape here at Auburn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Jarez Parks did.

Can you name two? Two over the last 20 years where injuries or grades weren't involved? Negative Nancy claims that UGA will greyshirt every recruit we want to keep us from getting them. Care to comment on how idiotic that claim was?

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Can you name two? Two over the last 20 years where injuries or grades weren't involved? Negative Nancy claims that UGA will greyshirt every recruit we want to keep us from getting them. Care to comment on how idiotic that claim was?

No because I don't pay attention to Bama recruiting enough to know names but I know he's not the first sought after Bama recruit to do it for them.

Regardless you & @AUIH1 drop it or take your mess to PMs. I'm tired of reading y'alls childish crap. Y'all have made a mess of the yearly class thread which I have tried very hard to keep clean, especially this past month.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gman87 said:

So the opinion of some is just cheat like hell, get busted and go on probation? Brilliant. Things that work for the state schools in places like Alabama, Georgia and Louisiana don't work so great for Auburn, and we generally do pretty well. Some people need to put on their big boy pants and expect our coaches to work harder to get our players conditioned, tough, and smart. Sheesh, what a bunch of defeatist.

I, for one, don’t correlate closing strong with cheating. We signed some excellent recruits in December, and have been out recruited on several others since then. Many of us were hoping for a stronger finish. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

No because I don't pay attention to Bama recruiting enough to know names but I know he's not the first sought after Bama recruit to do it for them.

Regardless you & @AUIH1 drop it or take your mess to PMs. I'm tired of reading y'alls childish crap. Y'all have made a mess of the yearly class thread which I have tried very hard to keep clean, especially this past month.

Sorry E, but you are not a Mod so Mikey and I can fight as much as we want to until a Mod steps in unless you tattletale.

wde

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

Sorry E, but you are not a Mod so Mikey and I can fight as much as we want to until a Mod steps in unless you tattletale.

wde

You might try adding some more fiber to your diet.  

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, CleCoTiger said:

You might try adding some more fiber to your diet.  

My diet has had more fiber due to cancer treatment.  Any more advice?

wde

16 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I, for one, don’t correlate closing strong with cheating. We signed some excellent recruits in December, and have been out recruited on several others since then. Many of us were hoping for a stronger finish. 

Fair enough, I would have liked to get a couple more highly rated linemen but some years just don't pan out. All that means is the coaches have to work harder making the most of the players they do have.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2018 at 6:10 PM, Gowebb11 said:

I agree with what you say. I just hope we don't go Robert Duran and cry no maas.

Edited by milehighfan
  • Haha 1

On 2/7/2018 at 6:38 AM, AUIH1 said:

My diet has had more fiber due to cancer treatment.  Any more advice?

wde

Ya. Relax, focus on you and find some enjoyment somewhere.

Sorry that you have cancer and I hope everything goes well for you. I have lost family members due to cancer,  absolutely destroyed me watching how it annihilated my grandfather,  but throwing that out there at someone in a petty online football recruiting debate is low. I've seen you take plenty of shots at people here, don't play victim and guilt someone with that when they fire back. Nobody deserves that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1