2018 Recruiting thread (Updated 1/29/18)

ellitor

Anyone getting worried yet about this 2018 class?  I know I know, still 6 months away. But damn, so many great players out there and we on the low percentage.

Best School in the South, great coaches, incredible facilities... what gives? 

9 minutes ago, aufootball1 said:

Anyone getting worried yet about this 2018 class?  I know I know, still 6 months away. But damn, so many great players out there and we on the low percentage.

Its wait and see how we do this year for many of our top targets. 

12 minutes ago, aufootball1 said:

The facilities aren't incredible compared to other schools. If you were to rank SEC facilities AU would be in the lower half of the conference.

As for what gives, it has been stated countless times & rings true. We have to win big this year to be able to win on some big targets. The staff is being negatively hammered on the recruiting trail and the effects of that hammering will not lessen until we win big. Recruits are waiting to see if the staff can buy some security with a big season. Ask me again after the LSU game then I'll tell ya know if I'm worried about the class or not. Right now though the class's fate relies heavily on what happens on the field.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The facilities aren't incredible compared to other schools. If you were to rank SEC facilities AU would be in the lower half of the conference.

As for what gives, it has been stated countless times & rings true. We have to win big this year to be able to win on some big targets. The staff is being negatively hammered on the recruiting trail and the effects of that hammering will not lessen until we win big. Recruits are waiting to see if the staff can buy some security with a big season. Ask me again after the LSU game then I'll tell ya know if I'm worried about the class or not. Right now though the class's fate relies heavily on what happens on the field.

yep sad to say

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Right now though the class's fate relies heavily on what happens on the field.

I feel like we are 'all in' on a poker game and it's winner take all; last hand.    

• Like 2

So, if we go 8-4 we can kiss a top 10 recruiting class good-bye? That shouldn't be true. Excuses are popping up everywhere, but Chizik & staff did a remarkable job in 2010 without the much hyped "relationships take years to build" advantage. Listen for a while and one would think that Auburn has never had to deal with negative recruiting before. It's been going on as long as there has been recruiting and AU has still had good to great classes. If the current crop of recruiters can't deal with negative recruiting we've got the wrong guys on the staff.

At LSU, Orgeron hasn't had time to build relationships and his past performance record is dismal at best yet he's doing quite well. Today, Rivals has LSU at #3 and AU at #57, somewhere behind Rutgers. It's early, but we should be doing better at this point.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, corchjay said:

The big dogs walk late or something to that affect... 

That's what Pat Dye said. I'm not so sure that's true any more. Seems like, with some notable exceptions here and there, most everybody has their QB and any other future team leaders lined up by mid-summer. At least that's much more common than it was 30 years ago. Maybe it's Al Gore's fault for inventing the internet? :)

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

So, if we go 8-4 we can kiss a top 10 recruiting class good-bye? That shouldn't be true. Excuses are popping up everywhere, but Chizik & staff did a remarkable job in 2010 without the much hyped "relationships take years to build" advantage. Listen for a while and one would think that Auburn has never had to deal with negative recruiting before. It's been going on as long as there has been recruiting and AU has still had good to great classes. If the current crop of recruiters can't deal with negative recruiting we've got the wrong guys on the staff.

At LSU, Orgeron hasn't had time to build relationships and his past performance record is dismal at best yet he's doing quite well. Today, Rivals has LSU at #3 and AU at #57, somewhere behind Rutgers. It's early, but we should be doing better at this point.

Basically, Orgeron is a recruiting machine.  He is super passionate I have read and been there a while.  Deep, long LSU ties help.  He has been working on relationships there for years.  He also has a new, long leash unlike Gus at this moment and Freeze and Jones (UT).   Also LSU has a HUGE homestate recruiting advantage....there are many reasons for LSU always having great classes.

Chiz had a longer leash in 2009.   Auburn will be just fine if we beat Clemson and dominate most of the 1st 6 games.   If we go on a losing streak, we will have complex problems.  

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

You might be right that we should be doing better right now, but...

...if we go 8-4 this year, that would make the 3rd year in a row that we've been a disappointing, mediocre team under Gus. While we don't sustain 10-win seasons, we also don't tend to sustain mediocre seasons- especially not under the same coach. So it's not like people are saying that one 8-4 season is going to kill us. If we go 8-4 again this season, most fans will be done with Gus. Kinda hard to blame recruits for thinking the same and preferring to go to any number of schools in the region that have more stability. 

As for Orgeron, what @Beaker said. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

You might be right that we should be doing better right now, but...

...if we go 8-4 this year, that would make the 3rd year in a row that we've been a disappointing, mediocre team under Gus. While we don't sustain 10-win seasons, we also don't tend to sustain mediocre seasons- especially not under the same coach. So it's not like people are saying that one 8-4 season is going to kill us. If we go 8-4 again this season, most fans will be done with Gus. Kinda hard to blame recruits for thinking the same and preferring to go to any number of schools in the region that have more stability. 

As for Orgeron, what @Beaker said. 

If we go 8-4 this season, I'LL be done with Gus, and I'm a huge fan of his. It was his hire as OC that got me on board with the Chizik hire to begin with...but consistent mediocrity is not something I'm willing to live with at Auburn. Quite honestly, I'm not sure I'd be okay with 9-3, even with a bowl victory pushing us to 10 wins, particularly if we lose to UGA and Bama again. This roster is too loaded with too much potential to settle for less than a top notch season.

• Like 6

I hope we're still recruiting these kids that are committed to Tennessee. They currently have the #3 ranked class in the country, but I think they are going to have a terrible year. Butch will be the first SEC coach fired this offseason, followed quickly by Sumlin. With that said, I would love to pick up Brendon Harris from the Vols while they search for a new coach.

13 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

I hope we're still recruiting these kids that are committed to Tennessee. They currently have the #3 ranked class in the country, but I think they are going to have a terrible year. Butch will be the first SEC coach fired this offseason, followed quickly by Sumlin. With that said, I would love to pick up Brendon Harris from the Vols while they search for a new coach.

And Teague.   

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

And Teague.   

Teague is committed to tOSU. Nothing likely to happen there.

2 hours ago, dabrasco said:

Still need to update the list with Jackson as a commit. Thanks

Thank you!

16 hours ago, ellitor said:

Thank you!

And check your date on the thread heading. It is only the 12th today. U da man E.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

And check your date on the thread heading. It is only the 12th today. U da man E.

I read 1 as a 7 on my phone. Updated it yesterday. Fixed now

7 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I agree Orgeron is a very good recruiter. But as far as talent from Louisiana who does he have to go up against? :dunno:

Huh? Who are you replying to Mile?

3 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I agree Orgeron is a very good recruiter. But as far as talent from Louisiana who does he have to go up against? :dunno:

His recruiting reputation was built outside LA. Which makes his potential in his home state that much more concerning.

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

Is there any news on the juco OT that's visitng this weekend?

There usually ain't news on OVs til after it's over. His ends tomorrow but LSU is the team to beat.