2018 Recruiting thread (Updated 1/29/18)

ellitor

AU is likely to sign up to 26 in the class. Carlito Gonzales does not count from the last class since he was able to enroll at Memphis. Players highlighted in orange are AU signees/commits. Signees have an (x) by their name. Players enrolled have an (E) by their name.

Names To Watch

QB (1) Added takes (1)

4* Joey Gatewood (x) (E)
NR Cord Sandberg

RB (3) Added takes (0)

4* Asa Martin (x) (E)
4* Shaun Shivers (x)

4* Harold Joiner

WR (4) Added takes (0-1)

4* Matthew Hill
4* Seth Williams (x)
4* Anthony Schwartz
3* Shedrick Jackson (x) (E)

TE (0)

OT (1) Added takes (1-2)

NR Jack Driscoll

OG/C (2) Added takes (0)

4* OG/C Jalil Irvin (x)
3* OG Kameron Stutts (x)

DT (2) Added takes (0-1)

4* Juco DT Daquan Newkirk (x) (E)
4* Coynis Miller
3* Caleb Johnson

Buck (1) Added Takes (0-1)

4* Richard Jibunor

LB (1) Added takes (0-1)

4* Michael Harris (x)
4* Zakoby McClain (x)
3* Josh Marsh (x) (E)

CB (2) Added Takes (0-1)

4* Christian Tutt (x) (E)
3* Roger McCreary

S (3) Added takes (0)

4* Quindarious Monday (x) (E)
4* Jamien Sherwood
(x) (E)
3* Kolbi Fuqua

P (1)

3* Arryn Siposs

• Like 1

I hope we get 3* kolbi Fuqua and he plays defense. Just so when he tattoos somebody, we can say "he just got FUQUA'D" or "he FUQUA'D that dude all up"

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I hope we get 3* kolbi Fuqua and he plays defense. Just so when he tattoos somebody, we can say "he just got FUQUA'D" or "he FUQUA'D that dude all up"

I wonder if his mom goes by Mother.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So how do we have a 5* RB recruit with us in his top 8 and we don't have him listed here nor a thread on him?  Someone is slipping :)  link

Could Dalvin Cook’s brother James really go anywhere else than Florida State? According to the latest update in his recruitment, several SEC teams look to be receiving some serious consideration for his services.

The Miami native tweeted out his current Top 8 Friday morning and while Florida State was mentioned as the school on top, the 2018 five-star recruit also included Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Florida, and Georgia on his list.

The 5-foot-11, 181-pound Cook is considered one of the nation’s elite prospects in the upcoming 2018 recruiting cycle. Rated as a five-star recruit, the No. 3 running back in the nation and the No. 5 overall prospect from Florida, according to 247Sports, Cook has his choice of nearly every elite program in the country to choose from.

Perhaps the most interesting team on James’ list is Florida, as his brother Dalvin annually terrorized the Gators. During his three-year career in Tallahassee, Dalvin rushed for 480 yards in three games against the Gators. It sure would be interesting to see if James ended up annually facing off against his brother’s team.

Check out Cook’s junior season highlight reel below and you’ll see why colleges are so eager to get the talented back on campus. Not only does he have elite speed but he possesses the ability to split out wide and catch the ball with ease and showcases the big-play ability teams are so eager to have on their side.

7 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

So how do we have a 5* RB recruit with us in his top 8 and we don't have him listed here nor a thread on him?

Because opther than getting an AU offer last year that article is the only time Cook has been mentioned with AU and this was not from an AU reporter.

Here’s a look at the 10 offensive prospects Auburn wants most.

4-star OT William Barnes, Apopka (Fla.)

Ranking: No. 8 offensive tackle, No. 17 in Florida, No. 67 overall

Skinny: Barnes is one of two offensive tackles in the top 70 who Auburn is recruiting hard. There might not be the firepower at the position like there was last class with Alex Leatherwood, Walker Little, Isaiah Wilson and others, but Barnes is as close as you’re going to find in the 2018 class. Barnes recently manhandled opponents at the Orlando Under Armour camp. Auburn has him atop its offensive line wish list.

Barnes originally planned to attend Auburn’s junior day in March, but instead he will return later for a more personalized visit.

“Definitely the way it feels out there. When I’m on the Auburn campus, it just feels like I’m in college. The town and the people are always great,” Barnes told SEC Country. “It’s just a great place to be in.”

4-star WR Jacob Copeland, Pine Forest (Fla.)

Ranking: No. 9 wide receiver, No. 10 in Florida, No. 45 overall

Auburn recruiting-Jacob Copeland
Auburn target Jacob Copeland (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Skinny: Copeland attended Auburn’s first junior day in January, which showed his priority for the Tigers and his high interest in Auburn. A quick glance at Copeland’s Crystal Ball shows the three Florida schools are the predicted destination points for Copeland, but don’t count out Auburn. Copeland has a stronger relationship with Kodi Burns than any other coach in the country — that will play heavily in the Tigers’ favor.

Plus, quarterback commit Joey Gatewood is adamant Copeland will be one of his receivers.

“Just by listening to Joey, I know he’s not going to tell me no false information. He’s going get to it straight,” Copeland told SEC Country. “A lot of players would want you to go with them just to join, but I know Joey better than that. I know he’s going to give me straight information.”

4-star OT Richard Gouriage, Cambridge Christian (Fla.)

Ranking: No. 6 offensive tackle, No. 15 in Florida, No. 61 overall

Skinny: Gouriage joins Barnes as a top-70 offensive lineman and Auburn really, really wants. He’s ranked slightly ahead of Barnes. They’re both studs. Gouriage can play offensive line or defensive line, but most college programs — if not all — project him as one of the top offensive tackles in the nation.

He hasn’t narrowed down his recruitment much, and Gouriage is being recruited by all the top schools nationally. He has plenty of decisions ahead of him, but Auburn has a strong chance of being in the mix.

“I mean all the schools are the same really,” he told Jeff Sentell of DawgNation. “They all have the academics. It is just the different cultures and the atmospheres there.”

4-star WR Matthew Hill, Brookwood (Ga.)

Ranking: No. 28 wide receiver, No. 16 in Georgia, No. 149 overall

Skinny: The last time Hill was on the Plains, he was donning full Auburn gear head-to-toe. That may have just been courtesy by one of the top Auburn receiver targets in this cycle, but it’s positive news for the Tigers nonetheless that a top target wore full Auburn garb for his campus visit. Hill’s list of offers is seemingly endless so he’ll have plenty of choices to make, but Auburn is right up there.

Expect the Tigers to be in it until the end for Hill.

“It’s just a great spot to be in,” Hill said. “They’re about family. No matter if you’re injured or not, they’re still going to treat you like you’re their son. They’re always going to be there for you. It’s just a good coaching staff in general.”

4-star TE Tyneil Hopper, Roswell (Ga.)

DSC_0026-1_n7zowi.jpg
TE target Tyneil Hopper (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Ranking: No. 11 tight end, No. 25 in Georgia, No. 261 overall

Skinny: Hopper was the first recruit on campus hosted by new tight ends coach Larry Porter. Hopper and Porter had a prior relationship at North Carolina, where Hopper’s older brother is a linebacker for the Tar Heels. As of now, North Carolina is the perceived favorite to land Hopper, but Auburn’s chances already were high and grew significantly with the addition of Porter.

Hopper also has a close friendship with Auburn early enrollee quarterback Malik Willis. The two played high school football together at Roswell High in Georgia.

“Auburn wants me to play H-back, on the line tight end and they actually want me to split out wide. They want me to be a transition guy, a hybrid type of person,” Hopper said. “I got to talk to Coach Porter. He was talking to me about he wants me to get better as far as blocking a little bit better. I know I need to work on that too.”

4-star ATH Kearis Jackson, Peach County (Ga.)

Ranking: No. 5 athlete, No. 14 in Georgia, No. 139 overall

Skinny: Kearis Jackson visited the Plains on Feb. 25, which included a weekend with Auburn coaches and players. Jackson is a Peach State prospect and Auburn would love to scoop him away from Georgia despite the fact all of his Crystal Ball selections favor the Bulldogs. Jackson has admitted Georgia has a slight advantage because that’s the school he’s visited most.

But he sees Auburn as a realistic option.

“Auburn sees me as a speedy guy,” Jackson told Keith Niebuhr of 247Sports. “They see me as a guy that they can put in motion, toss the ball to and let him make a play. Throw a quick screen, let me make a play. With them getting a new quarterback, I can actually fit into that offense.”

3-star RB Harold Joiner, Mountain Brook (Ala.)

Ranking: No. 19 running back, No. 11 in Alabama, No. 368 overall

Skinny: Joiner is a big, physical running back who is beginning to blow up on the recruiting trail. Auburn plays a key role in that breakout when Auburn and Ole Miss became the first Power 5 programs to offer Joiner last fall. All the top schools in the country have joined the party since, most recently — and notably — LSU.

Joiner received his LSU offer when he visited Louisiana last weekend for a recruiting camp in New Orleans. It appears it’ll be an Auburn-LSU battle for the running back from Birmingham.

“I just feel like I would fit good if I would go here,” Joiner said.

4-star RB Asa Martin, Austin (Ala.)

Ranking: No. 9 running back, No. 7 in Alabama, No. 222 overall

Auburn recruiting-Asa Martin
Auburn RB target Asa Martin (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Skinny: Martin likely is Chip Lindsey’s go-to guy at running back in the 2018 class. Auburn is expected to take multiple players at the position, but per usual, the Tigers have a feature preference. That appears to be Martin for now. Martin has returned to Austin High after spending a brief time at IMG Academy (Fla.). He left because of homesickness.

When Martin visited for junior day in January, he didn’t have an Auburn offer. He picked that up in short order, and Auburn became one of the instant favorites to land him.

“They tell me that they really like me as a running back,” Martin told SEC Country. “They’re doing a couple new things on offense this year to get the running backs’ hands in the passing game a little more. I really like that.”

4-star WR Justyn Ross, Central (Ala.)

Ranking: No. 4 wide receiver, No. 1 in Alabama, No. 28 overall

Skinny: On Auburn’s list of overall prospects, Ross likely sits at the top. Part of that is because of proximity. Part of that is because of Ross’ undeniable talent. Auburn whiffed on Central High prospect Markail Benton last cycle who signed with Alabama. The Tigers can’t afford to miss on the products from the local high school in back-to-back recruiting cycles.

That’s why Kodi Burns has made Ross such a high priority. Ross has been on Auburn’s campus regularly in 2017, including junior days and a recent trip for a softball game.

Alabama, Florida State, Ohio State and other are chasing him, but Auburn might be in the driver’s seat.

4-star WR Seth Williams, Paul W. Bryant (Ala.)

Ranking: No. 27 wide receiver, No. 4 in Alabama, No. 146 overall

Skinny: Justyn Ross is to Auburn as Seth Williams is to Tuscaloosa. Williams sits right in Alabama’s backyard, which is why the Crimson Tide are the most likely destination for the tall, lanky wide receiver. Williams almost committed earlier this year — which was most likely going to be Florida State — but he opted to hold off to do a little more research on all his desired schools.

Auburn is playing from behind for Williams, but that won’t stop the Tigers from trying to steal one away from the Crimson Tide.

“Yeah, I’m going to let the right school fit for me,” Williams said. “If I know it, I’m going to know it. If the right school is the fit for me, I’m going to know it.”

So looks like Strong & Cook are buddies and may actually be considering AU.  Of course this is slow news cycle so they could just be looking for stories here.  link

Auburn remains competitive in chase for FSU running back commits Charles Strong, James Cook

It’s an oft-debated topic: What college football program is Running Back U?

Just like the WRU or DBU banter, there are more than a handful of colleges with worthy arguments in the discussion. Auburn and Florida State are both, at a minimum, factors in the conversation.

The Tigers have an impressive streak of 1,000-yard rushers. The Seminoles have had Devonta Freeman and Dalvin Cook in recent memory and just brought in one of the most impressive running back hauls — Cam Akers and Khalan Laborn — in the 2017 class.

In the 2018 cycle, it appears the two programs will be direct foes.

Florida State has two running backs committed in the class. Auburn has zero.

Charles Strong and James Cook, close friends, have been committed to the Seminoles for more than a year. Both are showing signs of reconsideration on their Florida State commitments. Both are showing love to Auburn.

Cook is a 5-star prospect and the brother of Dalvin, who is fresh off a record-setting career with the Seminoles. But Cook has made it clear he doesn’t plan to follow in his brother’s footsteps just to follow in his brother’s footsteps. He hasn’t even ruled out Florida (quite the contrary, in fact).

Despite his FSU pledge, Cook released a top 8 list that included Auburn. Cook told SEC Country’s Zach Abolverdi that he’s “80 percent committed” to the Seminoles, which is generally a surefire indication of second-guessing.

James Cook-Dalvin Cook-Florida Gators recruiting
FSU RB commit James Cook (Zach Abolverdi/SEC Country)

Auburn isn’t the RBU-level school on the list. The Tigers are joined on the list by Alabama, LSU, Oregon, USC, Florida and Georgia — all programs in the RBU discussion. He plans to take several visits. Auburn is likely to be one of those this summer.

A big part of that decision to visit? Cook trusts his close friend Strong, who was recently blown away by his unofficial trip to the Plains.

“I like Auburn. Talking to coaches, talking to Kodi Burns on the phone. He’s sitting here telling me, ‘Our school is the top.’ He kept telling me to come over to see it. If you like it, it’s all yours. If I don’t, he’ll keep recruiting me,” Strong said. “But I like it. No, I love it … Coach (Tim) Horton told me how he loves big backs, so he wants to coach me to the fullest.”

Because of the friendship between Strong and Cook, Strong has developed a bond with Dalvin, too.

In fact, that’s who Strong often reaches out to for advice. For instance, when he started to show some hesitation with his FSU commitment, many Seminoles fans he knows gave him every reason why he shouldn’t waver. Dalvin took a different approach.

“Some people don’t want me to look into a lot of schools, some people want me to stay with Florida State. At the end of the day, it’s up to me. I’m going to do my visits to see how it turns out. Talking with legends like Dalvin. He told me I’m one of the top running backs in the nation. Florida State has always got you, but go where it fits for you,” Strong said. “He ain’t my brother, but he was a real close friend recruiting me, so he wants what’s best for me.”

According to the 247Sports composite rankings, Cook is the No. 3 running back in the nation, which makes him a slightly more coveted commodity than Strong. Strong is a 3-star prospect who ranks as the No. 29 at his position in 2018, but he holds other offers from Alabama, Clemson, Florida, Miami, Kentucky and Georgia Tech.

It should be clear: Both remain Florida State pledges.

As for Strong, at least, a flip isn’t out of the realm of possibility.

“I’m committed. I want to say that first,” Strong said. “But it’s possible. I don’t know what it would take. But it’s possible.”

I thought S Shivers (the Worm) was part of the 2018 class of commits.  Maybe I don't understand exactly what 'commit' means.  I know some are conditional.  Having depth always pays off.  This year showed how bad we need it.  In years past we have had great backs emerge from the shadows and were unstoppable.  Brent Fullwood ran for like 1400 yds after Bo if I recall correctly. And was 'the man' in the 42-41 win over FSU on the road when Bo was hurt (still may fav game).

15 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

Of course this is slow news cycle so they could just be looking for stories here.

Benjamin Wolk does an article everyday on a recruit whether it's a slow news cycle or not. Sometimes it's tricky to figure out which ones are really priorities to AU. I believe Cook is. Not sure about Strong.

In the future if we don't have a thread on a recruit and you don't want to make one put articles & what not in the 2018 Recruiting Thread.

Edited by ellitor

8 hours ago, Beaker said:

I thought S Shivers (the Worm) was part of the 2018 class of commits

He is. No clue what Wolk was thinking there.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Benjamin Wolk does an article everyday on a recruit whether it's a slow news cycle or not. Sometimes it's tricky to figure out which ones are really priorities to AU. I believe Cook is. Not sure about Strong.

In the future if we don't have a thread on a recruit and you don't want to make one put articles & what not in the 2018 Recruiting Thread.

Is that not what I did?

22 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Is that not what I did?

No. You put it in the 2nd Jr Day thread. I moved it and the related posts over.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No. You put it in the 2nd Jr Day thread. I moved it and the related posts over.

Oh.  My bad.  I was thinking I put it here.  That is where I meant to put it.  I didn't want to start a thread because I figured if we don't have one then those in the know probably don't think we are really in it or that the kids are not a take.

SECCountry's Believed Top 10 Defensive targets for AU

In the early going, Auburn has one defensive commitment in 2018 — defensive end Daquan Newkirk.

He originally committed to the Tigers in the 2016 recruiting class, but academics pushed him to Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, where he has repledged to Auburn. That’s Auburn’s only commit on the defensive side of the ball so far, but the Tigers have been active with defensive prospects.

Auburn expects to take 20 or so prospects in the 2018 recruiting class. So, assuming roughly half of them are on the defensive side, the Tigers will add about 10 defenders in the group.

Here’s a look at the top 10 prospects Auburn covets on defense:

4-star CB Jalyn Armour-Davis, St. Paul’s Episcopal (Ala.)

Ranking: No. 13 cornerback, No. 2 in Alabama, No. 93 overall

Skinny: Auburn began recruiting Armour-Davis well before Greg Brown joined the staff, but the state’s No. 1 defensive prospect remains the top defensive back target. Armour-Davis emerged on the recruiting scene thanks to the Auburn offer, which was his first.

Now, he’s a top-100 prospect who has offers from all the top programs imaginable: Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Florida State, LSU and many others. Those aforementioned programs are listed among Armour-Davis’ top schools.

He plans to make his final decision before his senior season. Auburn is the smart pick at this point, but Armour-Davis has been impressed by Florida State since his unofficial visit earlier this month. Auburn will be in it until the end because of the initial offer.

“Auburn’s always been one of my top schools. They were the first school to offer me. That played a huge role,” Armour-Davis said earlier this month. “Every time I come here, it just feels like a home.”

3-star DE Andres Fox, Mobile Christian (Ala.)

DSC_0337_q8o2us.jpg
Auburn WDE target Andres Fox (Chris Kirschner/SEC Country)

Ranking: No. 29 weakside defensive end, No. 17 in Alabama, No. 562 overall

Skinny: Fox’s ranking isn’t done rising. He still sits outside the top 500 nationally, but that will almost certainly change. Just look at the programs he’s considering: Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida State, Florida, Georgia and Southern Cal. Those are the schools in the running for the pass-rushing defensive end.

Fox grew up an Alabama fan, so many consider the Crimson Tide the favorite. Alabama will undoubtedly make a major push for Fox, but it’s actually Auburn — the team that initiated Fox’s recruitment — that the 247Sports Crystal Ball favors.

“I have a great relationship with all three of the defensive coaches. Coach (Rodney) Garner, coach T-Will (Travis Williams) and coach Kevin Steele. I met Gus one time in his office,” Fox said. “I really just like all the atmosphere.”

He wants to make his decision prior to his senior year to remain “loyal” to a school leading up to National Signing Day. Auburn is in the driver’s seat.

4-star safety Brendon Harris, Baylor School (Tenn.)

Ranking: No. 10 safety, No. 4 in Tennessee, No. 109 overall

Skinny: Auburn continues to evaluate the safety position in the 2018 class, but there’s no question Harris is near the top.

At 6-foot-1 and 205 pounds, the Chattanooga-based safety has the size and versatility to play at an elite level. Tennessee is the early in-state favorite to land him, but Harris is also considering Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, LSU and others. Harris hasn’t revealed much about his recruitment, but the Volunteers have all three Crystal Ball predictions so far.

Auburn only brought in one true safety in the 2017 class — Carlito Gonzalez — so the position will be placed at a premium in 2018. There will be several other targets who surface as the class carries on, but Harris is a solid starting place.

3-star LB Richard Jibunor, Athens Christian (Ga.)

Ranking: No. 61 athlete, No. 72 in Georgia, No. 729 overall

Skinny: Here’s another prospect near the top of Auburn’s defensive board despite a lower ranking. Jibunor hasn’t played football long enough (started his sophomore year) to be properly scouted by most of the recruiting services. Top-tier programs have scouted him plenty, however, and they’ve decided Jibunor is one of the best raw athletes in the Southeast.

He has received heavy interest from Auburn, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Miami and many other programs. Jibunor is starting to zero in on his favorite destinations and he hopes a final decision comes sometime before his senior season.

The 6-foot-4 linebacker returns to Auburn later this week to reunite with linebackers coach Travis Williams, who would be one of the primary reasons Jibunor would choose Auburn.

“But there’s some that really feel it so much, and I feel like I’m getting to the point where I’m figuring out one of the schools I might land, but I haven’t really decided where yet,” Jibunor said. “I just have a few schools where I really feel a lot of love from and really like the campus. I know I like Auburn a lot.”

DSC_0017-4_vcj5au.jpg
Auburn target Coynis Miller (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

4-star DT Coynis Miller, Jackson-Olin (Ala.)

Ranking: No. 23 defensive tackle, No. 8 in Alabama, No. 263 overall

Skinny: Miller has been recruited by Auburn for the better part of two years now. Contact with the Tigers’ staff initiated when Auburn began its recruitment of 2016 signee Tadarian Moultry, a close friend and former high school teammate of Miller. All Garner needed was one look at Miller’s 6-4, 295-pound frame to know he was SEC ready at defensive tackle.

Since then, all of Auburn’s top competitors — Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Michigan and others — got in on the fun.

Miller’s decision isn’t finalized yet, but the common belief is that it’s an Auburn-Alabama battle. Those two programs are recruiting him hard. He grew up an Alabama fan. His parents’ fandoms are split between the Iron Bowl rivalry. Also of note, another person close to Miller’s recruitment has told SEC Country that Miller is much more likely to go out of state than Moultry was.

Still, Auburn and Alabama are the likely landing spots for now. They both want Miller badly.

4-star CB Jordan Miner, Wiregrass Ranch (Fla.)

Ranking: No. 26 cornerback, No. 46 in Florida, No. 287 overall

Skinny: Miner announced on Twitter earlier this month that he won’t conduct interviews until his recruitment is over, so there won’t be a ton of new information on the 4-star cornerback until decision time.

SEC Country got a chance to see Miner play at the Under Armour camp in Orlando in February, and he was one of the best — if not the best — cover corners in attendance. Miner’s length makes it tough for wide receivers to separate from him. His agility, which he showcased with a top-8 finish in the iLLSPEED competition, gives Miner one of the best tracking speeds in the 2018 class.

At the time of the camp, Miner mentioned Auburn among his top schools along with Florida. Aside from Armour-Davis, Miner might be Auburn’s preferred option at cornerback in Brown’s first full recruiting cycle as Auburn’s defensive backs coach.

4-star OLB JJ Peterson, Colquitt County (Ga.)

Ranking: No. 1 outside linebacker, No. 6 in Georgia, No. 49 overall

Skinny: Peterson is the top outside linebacker in the 2018 class, which means every top Southeastern program wants him in its class. He hasn’t reveled much in the early going of his recruitment, but Auburn is certainly in the mix.

There is only one prediction on the 247Sports Crystal Ball. That goes to Florida, but Peterson’s recruitment is wide open.

Here’s what Auburn has going for it.

One, Williams is one of the top linebacker recruiters in the nation, and he’s looking to improve on an impressive 2017 linebacker class. Two, there is prior history between Peterson’s high school coach Rush Propst and Auburn’s staff, most notably new offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey. An OC isn’t usually a huge player in a linebacker’s recruitment, but relationships are everything in recruiting, so it will likely help.

Lastly, Peterson hasn’t said much about his recruitment, but whenever he does, Auburn is almost always mentioned.

3-star safety Juanyeh Thomas, Niceville (Fla.)

Ranking: No. 85 safety, No. 167 in Florida, No. 1,140 overall

Skinny: As mentioned with Harris previously, Brown still has evaluations to do before he determines his primary targets in the 2018 class. Thomas is an under-the-radar gem Brown has already sought out.

Thomas is a fringe 3-star prospect, meaning he’s actually a 2-star recruit on some sites. That’s blasphemous. Thomas will skyrocket up recruiting service rankings once more camps and evaluations take place. Brown didn’t need those numbers to change to know the Florida-based safety will be an SEC football player one day.

Thomas’ only other Power 5 offer is from Georgia Tech, but Florida State, Florida and Alabama are showing interest. Auburn gave the 6-foot-2, 192-pound prospect an offer on Jan. 9, which was two days after Brown officially took over as Auburn’s secondary coach.

That priority should tell you everything you need to know about how Brown perceives Thomas.

4-star OLB Quay Walker, Crisp County (Ga.)

Auburn recruiting-Quay Walker-Auburn
Auburn LB target Quay Walker (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Ranking: No. 14 outside linebacker, No. 21 in Georgia, No. 226 overall

Skinny: When Auburn signed Markaviest “Big Cat” Bryant on National Signing Day, it was considered a win. As much as it was a victory by adding the 4-star pass rusher, it also was good news with 2018 linebacker target Quay Walker.

Walker and Bryant are teammates, but more importantly, they’re close friends. The tandem has been on recruiting visits together since Walker was a freshman. They’ve seen most of the top schools in the Southeast together. So, when Bryant somewhat surprisingly chose Auburn, attention immediately turned to Walker, who was believed by many to be a 2-for-1 deal with Bryant.

Walker has downplayed the you-got-him, you-get-me narrative, but he hasn’t shied away from his continued love for the Tigers. Walker is at or near the top of Williams’ linebackers wish list.

The feeling, for now, is mutual.

“At the end of the day, I’m going to go where I think it’s the best fit for me. At the same time, it kinda played a big role where Markaviest went,” Walker said. “Y’all know I want to play with him.”

4-star ATH Nathaniel Watson, Maplesville School (Ala.)

Ranking: No. 20 athlete, No. 1o in Alabama, No. 279 overall

Skinny: It’s still not certain Watson will end up on the defensive side of the ball.

He’s participated in camps as a wide receiver and as a defensive back. Many evaluators project Watson as a linebacker. If that’s the route he goes, Watson will be a force at the position in the 2018 class. He’s been a regular visitor to Auburn — long before his stock began to rise.

That long-standing relationship will pay off come decision time. He’s not near a decision yet, he says, and part of that has to do with his position uncertainty. Once he finalizes that choice, the rest of the process will begin to play itself out for the 6-foot-3, 200-pound athlete.

Watson’s other Power 5 offers include Vanderbilt, Indiana, Illinois, Ole Miss and Mississippi State. Once more programs figure out what position Watson will play, he will likely be more highly recruited.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

Auburn needs to do a much better job getting off to hot starts on the recruiting trail. There are several players that we are going to battle for until signing day. There are others that we are going to have to make up a great deal of ground on. But why in the world can we not go ahead and lock up players who are publicly announcing Auburn as their clear leader? This spring I want to see the following commitments...

Quindarious Monday

Jaylyn Armour-Davis

Tank Jenkins

Richard Jibumor

Nathaniel Watson

Matthew Hill

Edited by CameronCrazy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Auburn needs to do a much better job getting off to hot starts on the recruiting trail. There are several players that we are going to battle for until signing day. There are others that we are going to have to make up a great deal of ground on. But why in the world can we not go ahead and lock up players who are publicly announcing Auburn as their clear leader? This spring I want to see the following commitments...

Quindarious Monday

Jaylyn Armour-Davis

Tank Jenkins

Richard Jibumor

Nathaniel Watson

Matthew Hill

As noted in another thread, because some kids just aren't ready to pop that early for anyone. Of the above list I see only 3 who could pop in the Spring/early Summer. Furthermore I'm only confident 2 are takes for AU right now. The other 4 may be but I'm just not sure of it.

Lastly we have gotten off to a hot start before in a recent year. We were #3 in the nation in the Summer a few years ago only to finish right where Gus's classes always finish, in the 8-10 range. I personally don't care when they commit as long as we sign a lot of the top targets on the staff's board come next February, oh and this December.

Targets, Justyn Ross, JJ Peterson, Channing Tindall, & Jamaree Sayler earned invites yesterday at the ATL Regional to The Opening held in the Summer.

Heavy dose of Auburn at the Opening

It was a doozie Sunday in Atlanta.

The Atlanta Opening was loaded with skill players, yet several under-the-radar prospects ended up singing in the star-heavy clinic. Auburn targets, in particular, had a special day at Buford High School when it came to SPARQ ratings, Opening invites and overall performances.

Three front-and-center Auburn targets won MVP honors at the camps: Bo Nix, Richard Jibunor and Channing Tindall.

Nix became the first underclassmen to win a quarterback position MVP, and he did so over the likes of Ohio State commit Emory Jones and 2020 phenom Harrison Bailey. The son of former Auburn standout Patrick Nix pulled out the top QB honors despite his 2019 standing.

DSC_0569_y5ldeh.jpg
Auburn LB/DE target Richard Jibunor (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Jibunor proved again to be a camp superstar. He’s as competitive in nature as any other prospect at a camp. The Nigerian native is wanted by many — Travis Williams especially — as a linebacker. But the blossoming football player showed Sunday he can be a gem as a pass-rushing defensive end, as well, which is why Rodney Garner is also among those chasing Jibunor, who won defensive line MVP honors over guys like Brenton Cox, Tru Thompason and Jalen Cunningham.

Tindall visited Auburn for junior day, but has prioritized other schools (for now) because of his lesser familiarity with the Tigers. He hopes and expects that to change. Tindall showed Sunday to be one of the shiniest of stars in an impressive camp. He earned top SPARQ rating honors, linebacker MVP and an Opening invite.

Recruiting-wise: There was plenty more from the Opening. Keep your eyes peeled later in the day for a scoop recap from SEC Country interviews in Atlanta, along with a photo gallery of key Auburn targets. The Tigers had a large footprint at Buford High School on Sunday.

Link

Auburn’s footprint was all over the Nike Opening camp in Atlanta — and it was a big one.

The Tigers had multiple recruiting targets awarded position MVPs or invited to the national Opening in Oregon later this year. Justyn Ross, Channing Tindall, Bo Nix, Richard Jibunor, Chris Smith and JJ Peterson were all Auburn-related targets recognized at the conclusion of the camp.

On top of that, several top performers placed Auburn at or near the top of their respective recruiting leaderboards. SEC Country interviews from the event led to plenty of scoops. Check it out below along with a camp photo gallery at the bottom.

4-star safety Quindarious Monday

Auburn recruiting-Quindarious Monday
4-star safety target Quindarious Monday (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Monday was impressive at the Opening.

He emerged as a vocal leader in most of the agility drills and participated with some of the top defenses in the 7-on-7 challenges. Monday has Auburn as his leader right now with Florida and Florida State. He said Kevin Steele and Greg Brown have made him a top priority. Monday is a big-time prospect to watch for Auburn.

Of note: he was wearing Florida gloves at the camp, though he said it was meant to keep people guessing.

4-star running back Asa Martin

Martin recently visited Florida, and the Gators shocked him.

They immediately leapt to the favorite to land the running back prospect from Decatur, Ala. Auburn and Michigan file in closely behind Florida, but Martin is certainly very high on the Gators. He doesn’t have a plan to decide imminently, instead opting to make a calculated decision.

Auburn’s in-state pull matters, Martin said.

4-star wide receiver Justyn Ross

Ross said Jarrett Stidham is a quarterback who he thinks can “really sling it,” which helps Auburn’s chances. He confirmed Auburn and Alabama are battling the hardest for the in-state prospect. Ross admitted it would be tough to leave the state, but he’s nowhere near a decision, and several out-of-state schools remain contenders.

He said his current plan is to commit on National Signing Day, which means two things: 1) There is plenty of time remaining 2) Ross likely won’t be an early enrollee.

4-star defensive end Brenton Cox

Cox, the No. 54-ranked prospect in the nation, enjoyed the Auburn visit with his teammate Marquez Ezzard over the weekend. Their high school coach spoke at the coaching clinic, which helped secure the visit for Auburn.

Cox raved about Rodney Garner’s direct coaching style, but said Georgia and Ohio State stand out right now.

DSC_0044-1_e22jhs.jpg
4-star WR target Kearis Jackson (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

4-star wide receiver Kearis Jackson

Jackson, wearing Georgia gloves during the camp, has been at Georgia and Auburn recently.

He went to Georgia this weekend. Jackson checked out Auburn three weeks ago. He wants to go see more spring practices to get a better feel for coaching styles and passing game development. Jackson said Kodi Burns has been quite vocal about his wish to land Jackson.

4-star safety Brendon Harris

Harris said Auburn, Tennessee, Clemson, Mississippi State and Florida are recruiting him most regularly, but he has no decision timeline. Harris hasn’t been to Auburn since the Alabama A&M game last November. He expects that to change soon. When it does, he firmly believes Auburn is as much in the thick of things as any other program.

Harris talks with area recruiter Tim Horton often, including an Opening pep talk over the phone Sunday before the camp.

4-star wide receiver Seth Williams

Williams doesn’t plan to decide in the near future. Despite the strong Tuscaloosa influence (he attends Paul W. Bryant High School in Cottondale, Ala.), Williams said Auburn has actually impressed him lately, thanks to his relationship with Kodi Burns.

He doesn’t have any kind of top lists, though Alabama and Florida State are the most likely landing spots.

A little player analysis here: Williams doesn’t always look like the shiftiest wide receiver when he’s running routes, but he might have the best hands in the class. Anything that comes Williams’ way, he’s hauling it in.

4-star offensive line commit Jalil Irvin

DSC_0482-1_igbyat.jpg
4-star offensive line commit Jalil Irvin (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Irvin still has other top programs chasing him despite being committed to Auburn. Ohio State, Mississippi State, LSU and Florida all have been in regular contact since his commitment. Irvin is staying cordial with those schools — and might even consider official visits elsewhere — but he’s all Auburn.

His biggest recruiting target right now is 4-star offensive lineman Dylan Wonnum, who Irvin has been best friends with since middle school.

3-star linebacker Channing Tindall

Tindall — the star of The Opening — called Georgia, South Carolina and Florida his primary schools right now, but he’s eager to return to the Plains. He was on the Plains for the first junior day of the year. Tindall attends the same high school Travis Williams went to in South Carolina.

A Clemson offer would go a long way with Tindall, too.

Except this rising star back at Auburn soon. That bond with Williams, which Tindall said is as strong as any coaching relationship, will be the Tigers’ best chance.

4-star wide receiver Matthew Hill

Hill, also wearing Georgia gloves, will “definitely decide before the season.” Relationships with coaching staffs and academic offerings will be key. Hill hasn’t begun to narrow in on options, but said Auburn, Florida, South Carolina and Tennessee are recruiting him the hardest.

Hill said his relationship with Kodi Burns is a particularly close one. This is a perfect example where Burns’ youth will help tremendously.

DSC_0487_tzfwda.jpg
4-star athlete target Nathaniel Watson (Chris Kirschner/SEC Country)

4-star athlete Nathaniel Watson

Watson worked as a receiver at the camp, but he wants to play offense and defense. That’s what he does at the high school level. Many college programs continue to evaluate Watson at multiple positions — on both sides of the ball.

Auburn knows what it wants. The Tigers are recruiting him as a safety-linebacker hybrid. Most of his communication goes through Kevin Steele and Greg Brown, but Travis Williams and Rodney Garner are involved in the process, as well.

Watson said Auburn leads with the Mississippi schools close behind.

3-star running back Harold Joiner

Joiner has a clear-cut top two of Auburn and LSU. LSU is pushing slightly harder of late. He expects to visit Georgia soon, which could be a game-changer. Joiner wants to decide in early January, but he’s still not sure whether he’ll be able to enroll early.

He has mentioned potential slot receiver options in the past, but Joiner said Sunday that Auburn and LSU are both pitching him as a running back only.

4-star defensive tackle Coynis Miller

Miller didn’t participate in many reps at The Opening, but he left that event to go to Auburn until early Wednesday morning. There will be more specifics from Miller later in the week, but he continues to shop Alabama, Auburn and several out-of-state programs.

4-star 2019 quarterback Bo Nix

DSC_0228-2_kmt19p.jpg
2019 quarterback target Bo Nix (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Nix grew up an Auburn fan. His dad Patrick Nix has a fantastic Auburn reputation. Auburn was one of the first schools to show interest in the impressive 2019 quarterback.

With that said, he refers to his approach as “laid back” for now and admitted programs like Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State, Clemson, and Georgia can still compete for him.

From a talent standpoint, Nix just became the first underclassman to win the Atlanta Opening quarterback MVP. It came against Ohio State quarterback commit Emory Jones and others. It was an impressive showing for a guy who is believed to be an Auburn lean.

4-star 2019 offensive lineman Pierce Quick

Quick, a 2019 offensive line target, isn’t anywhere near a decision, but he has major love for Auburn. He particularly likes Herb Hand, the man, as well as his coaching style. Alabama and Auburn are the likeliest landing spots, but he will do his due diligence.

Quick and Auburn signee Noah Igbinoghene are close friends. Quick said Igbinoghene has made it clear he wants his Hewitt-Trussville teammate to end up at Auburn, but the wide receiver signee has done more to feed Quick the truth about all the schools and the recruiting process as a whole.

• Like 3

Only update I slightly disagree with from this article is Matthew Hill. Neihbur has stated multiple times lately Auburn feels good about him. He was def downplaying us in that interview for whatever reason.

Edited by GwillMac6

Man I really hope Ross does not take this all the way to Signing Day it would be huge for us if he pops sometime in the fall for us after he sees WHAT I HOPE is a vastly improved passing game.

• Like 1