Scholarship Numbers (Updated 8/18/17)

ellitor

32 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

So how do we get back up to around the 85 limit if we can only bring in 25 each year?  Do we just have to keep the attrition rate lower than it has been?

As @Sani-Freeze pointed out already, but we are border line probation numbers.  I understand attrition and kids leaving early, but to be down this far seems a bit much.

Ellitor can answer with specifics, but we should get closer to 85 in 2018 with another full class in Feb. We just had a couple of 2017 signees fail to qualify this year, along with some transfers/dismissals (and a couple of early departures to the NFL draft). 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, need to do a better job at retention.  I get the feeling that we never wanted to make someone feel unwelcome once they got here.  Other programs will overplace and run off anyone that is a marginal contributor.

There are probably a few senior walkons that will fill some of these slots, so it's not a total waste. Still, we've been going into August with lower than desirable numbers for the past several years. It's time our retention rate improved because we need quality, scholarship type players to practice against if for no other reason.

Has Anders Carlson still not enrolled?

59 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Has Anders Carlson still not enrolled?

My understanding is that he has been practicing the kick offs, though we hope to red-shirt him.

16 minutes ago, API said:

My understanding is that he has been practicing the kick offs, though we hope to red-shirt him.

He's listed in the OP as signed but not yet enrolled. That's what I was alluding to.

15 hours ago, Rednilla said:

He's listed in the OP as signed but not yet enrolled. That's what I was alluding to.

So, an update is in order ?

On 8/2/2017 at 2:44 PM, 80Tiger said:

So just for clarification, your earlier post said a med RS could only be applied for a player trying to get a 6th year to play a 4th season. Based on the above comment a med RS can be applied any year.

The 6th year scenario, I believe comes into  play when a player is actually granted a 2nd med RS for a season ending injury. As an example, a 5th year player (previously RS) has a season ending knee injury in August of his final year of eligibility. He cannot play his final year. This type player can make a special request for 2nd med RS and have a 6th year to play a 4th season.

Honestly I'm not worried about the terms. I just know the NCAA is more leenient on giving players 6 years to play 4 seasons if they miss 2 seasons due to injury or 1 due to injury & 1 to due required transfer sitting rules. The NCAA has granted the next 2 years for PJ3 to have 6 years to play 4 seasons. It's possible Dean won't apply til he gets through his 5th year playing 3 seasons.

On 8/3/2017 at 9:14 PM, toddc said:

What's going on with Gonzalez going to Memphis rather than juco route? I thought he didn't qualify?

AU's admittance standards are higher than the NCAA's He passed the NCAA Clearing House but not AU. It's not the 1st time we lost a player that way and won't be the last.

On 8/9/2017 at 11:45 AM, lkeel75 said:

So how do we get back up to around the 85 limit if we can only bring in 25 each year?  Do we just have to keep the attrition rate lower than it has been?

As @Sani-Freeze pointed out already, but we are border line probation numbers.  I understand attrition and kids leaving early, but to be down this far seems a bit much.

Walk ons who have been at AU at least 2 years can get schollies & not count to the yearly 25 new scholly limit. And yeah I don't ever remember 9 open spots in August.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Honestly I'm not worried about the terms. I just know the NCAA is more leenient on giving players 6 years to play 4 seasons if they miss 2 seasons due to injury or 1 due to injury & 1 to due required transfer sitting rules. The NCAA has granted the next 2 years for PJ3 to have 6 years to play 4 seasons. It's possible Dean won't apply til he gets through his 5th year playing 3 seasons.

I think you are right about not applying until the 5th year is complete.

Thanks.  Can we get an update with Hastings and King, and perhaps an update to the thread title?

47 minutes ago, API said:

Thanks.  Can we get an update with Hastings and King, and perhaps an update to the thread title?

Not going to update the OP til the university makes an official announcement. There could be as many as 9 walk ons getting schollies & I'd rather just add them all at once.

30 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not going to update the OP til the university makes an official announcement. There could be as many as 9 walk ons getting schollies & I'd rather just add them all at once.

I like that we can do this.  I know that we are low on numbers and these guys work their tails off to be there.  With that said I would much rather have 80-82 players that are on scholly that are higher rated and vying for playing time on the field.  But happy these guys can get some recognition for their hard work! 

12 SRs this year 

5 OL

4 Safeties!!!!

1 LB, Legatron, and Ike

And it's reasonable to expect 1 JR RB to go NFL. 

Looking ahead WAAAAYYY too early for 2018, other than Center and Safety, it looks like we're in pretty good shape. 

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

12 SRs this year 

5 OL

4 Safeties!!!!

1 LB, Legatron, and Ike

And it's reasonable to expect 1 JR RB to go NFL. 

Looking ahead WAAAAYYY too early for 2018, other than Center and Safety, it looks like we're in pretty good shape. 

I do believe S will be an issue next year due to youth but not necessarily talent or experience.  One would think we would be OK at C based on recruitment of Kaleb Kim a few years ago.  I believe he was in top 5 at his position when we recruited him.  I fully expect him to fall right in and not miss a beat.

The spot I am a little worried about is CB.  If CD has a big year he could easily be a top 3 round pick and he may decide to take the money and go.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm thinking in the 80s, players could play up to 3 games but no more then that and they could still be redshirted if they got hurt or the coaches wanted to redshirt him.

On 8/28/2017 at 10:53 AM, auburn4ever said:

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm thinking in the 80s, players could play up to 3 games but no more then that and they could still be redshirted if they got hurt or the coaches wanted to redshirt him.

Correct, or at least it was so in the mid 90's.  Used to be a deep thigh bruise or an 'owie' would qualify for a med reshirt, but things have clamped down since then.  I would add that you never got a 6th year back in the old days, but under the right circumstances these days you can.

• 2 weeks later...

Anders Carlson has enrolled and has been working out with the team. Unless somethings happens to Daniel, I look for Anders to redshirt this year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2017 at 3:44 PM, 80Tiger said:

So just for clarification, your earlier post said a med RS could only be applied for a player trying to get a 6th year to play a 4th season. Based on the above comment a med RS can be applied any year.

The 6th year scenario, I believe comes into  play when a player is actually granted a 2nd med RS for a season ending injury. As an example, a 5th year player (previously RS) has a season ending knee injury in August of his final year of eligibility. He cannot play his final year. This type player can make a special request for 2nd med RS and have a 6th year to play a 4th season.

A medical redshirt is when a player has played less than 30% of the season and the injury has to happened before the midway point of the season.  They can apply a redshirt year to that year even though they have games played. 

You still only have 5 yeas to play 4, so if you've already taken a redshirt year you'd need to apply for a 6th year extension/waiver.  The hardest thing to over come is if that one of the redshirt years was non-injury based, ie your FR year and you were just not good enough to make playing time.  It's rare to get it granted in that case.  If you have two injuries leading to Medical Redshirts (actually its called a medical hardship waiver), they you have better odds.  I think in resent years the NCAA has been a little more lenient on granting 6th years, but I don't have stats to show that to be true or not... so take it with grain of salt.

Archived