Scholarship Numbers (Updated 8/18/17)

ellitor

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
On 2/13/2018 at 7:35 PM, auburn4ever said:

This thread needs a major makeover. It's way behind the times.

Yep.

• 1 month later...

With the reserve OL that left at the start of fall practice with his degree in hand, I think one more spot freed up.  This is prolly good news for Will Hastings and some of the other walk ons that were given schollies at the end of camp last year.  For a high school senior, Auburn offers 4 year scholarships regardless of your production on the field.  Ian Shannon is still on the team where somebody else(bammer, cough, cough) would have cut him loose.  I never was sure about Hastings, ect from a scholly standpoint, and I'm a big fan of Will Hastings. I've seen it opined by beat hacks that schollies given to walk ons were of the one year variety, but I don't know about that.

Update this thread please!

7 hours ago, API said:

With the reserve OL that left at the start of fall practice with his degree in hand, I think one more spot freed up.

While that frees up a spot on the overall 85 limit, it does nothing for the annual limit of 25 new players on scholarship. So no, we can't sign a 26th new player just because a guy left. We've already enrolled the limit of 25. Half the team could leave and we'd still couldn't add another new player in this cycle.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

While that frees up a spot on the overall 85 limit, it does nothing for the annual limit of 25 new players on scholarship. So no, we can't sign a 26th new player just because a guy left. We've already enrolled the limit of 25. Half the team could leave and we'd still couldn't add another new player in this cycle.

True, but ......  You presume that we were at 24 awarded schollies as of the end of June.  Then came Cord, who made 25.  I'm not sure in my own mind that 24 was the correct beginning number.  Perhaps it was, perhaps it wasn't.  I don't know.

29 minutes ago, API said:

True, but ......  You presume that we were at 24 awarded schollies as of the end of June.  Then came Cord, who made 25.  I'm not sure in my own mind that 24 was the correct beginning number.  Perhaps it was, perhaps it wasn't.  I don't know.

So baseball isn't buying Mr. Sandberg's education (a la Mr. Ray)?

Are we at the 85 count now or are two or three slots available for deserving walk-ons? I'm probably wrong but I don't believe we've had as much attrition this year.

12 hours ago, API said:

It was at 25 before the DE from Miami didn't qualify. When that happened it opened up one position for Cord. Now we're back at 25 and full up. You can go to the recruiting forum and count the names. There will be 25 if it's been updated.

10 hours ago, autan said:

Are we at the 85 count now or are two or three slots available for deserving walk-ons? I'm probably wrong but I don't believe we've had as much attrition this year.

Attrition from 8-1-'17 through 7-31-'18. Total of ten. Lower than recent years, but about average for the long term.

Walk on QB Devan Adams awarded a scholly tonight. Smart money says that puts us at 85.

If this puts us at 85 limit I'm guessing  last year walk-on recipients of 1-year schollies are being renewed (Will Hastings, Tucker Brown, etc).  Can anyone verify that?

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Linayus said:

I'm guessing recent departures have freed up 2 or 3 scholarships?

On the overall 85 limit, yes. However, this does nothing about the annual 25 limit. Half the team could leave and 25 new players is still all that could be added. Exception: walkons that have been enrolled at Auburn for at least two years can be put on scholarship without counting against the 25 limit.

• 2 months later...

How many total schollies  are we planning to award for 2019? Of those, approximately how many are expected to sign next week?

On 12/13/2018 at 12:48 PM, API said:

How many total schollies  are we planning to award for 2019? Of those, approximately how many are expected to sign next week?

We started with an annual limit of 25. One is already "spoken for", the transfer DB is on campus and attending class. That leaves 24 vacancies. I'd expect somewhere around half to sign early and the other half in the late signing period. We'll fill all 25 slots unless there are several last-second disappointments. There is always a kid or two that is waiting for a late offer. Daniel Thomas and Boobie Whitlow come to mind as fill ins that worked out better than any number of 4* recruits that could be named.

Thanks. If we can get our useful retention up, I'd like to see us offering 19-21 schollies a year and keeping guys with more experience around. I think you can 'offer' up to 28 and enroll 25, expecting that 3 will be 'sign and place in JC'. Bowden oversigned one year and had to gray shirt an existing scholly player. 

14 minutes ago, API said:

Thanks. If we can get our useful retention up, I'd like to see us offering 19-21 schollies a year and keeping guys with more experience around. I think you can 'offer' up to 28 and enroll 25, expecting that 3 will be 'sign and place in JC'. Bowden oversigned one year and had to gray shirt an existing scholly player. 

The days of oversigning are gone. There is no longer such a thing as Sign and Place. The Nutt Rule was passed because he signed nearly 40 one year when he could only enroll 25.

There is nothing official or binding about an offer. A school can and normally does offer upwards of 100 but in the end, they can only take 25 maximum.

Here's an article from January of this year talking about a SEC rule that limits to 28 the number of players you can enroll between December and May.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/1/31/14348104/college-football-recruiting-class-limits-national-signing-day

On 12/15/2018 at 10:35 AM, API said:

Here's an article from January of this year talking about a SEC rule that limits to 28 the number of players you can enroll between December an May.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/1/31/14348104/college-football-recruiting-class-limits-national-signing-day

Yes. Up to three can "count back", so if your team only signed 22 last cycle, then three early enrolees can count back which would bring the maximum to 28. But that's only true if just 22 were enrolled the prior year. If 24 were enrolled the prior year, then your limit is 25+ one early guy =26. If the full 25 were signed the prior year, then 25 is the limit this year.

All count back guys must be early enrolees, but all early enrolees aren't necessarily count backs. Clear as mud, right? As far as anyone has been able to determine, Auburn used all 25 slots last year so 25 will be our limit this time.

Archived