Sign in to follow this  
ellitor

Scholarship Numbers (Updated 8/18/17)

On 2/13/2018 at 7:35 PM, auburn4ever said:

This thread needs a major makeover. It's way behind the times.

Yep.

With the reserve OL that left at the start of fall practice with his degree in hand, I think one more spot freed up.  This is prolly good news for Will Hastings and some of the other walk ons that were given schollies at the end of camp last year.  For a high school senior, Auburn offers 4 year scholarships regardless of your production on the field.  Ian Shannon is still on the team where somebody else(bammer, cough, cough) would have cut him loose.  I never was sure about Hastings, ect from a scholly standpoint, and I'm a big fan of Will Hastings. I've seen it opined by beat hacks that schollies given to walk ons were of the one year variety, but I don't know about that.

Update this thread please!

Edited by API
spelling error

7 hours ago, API said:

With the reserve OL that left at the start of fall practice with his degree in hand, I think one more spot freed up.

While that frees up a spot on the overall 85 limit, it does nothing for the annual limit of 25 new players on scholarship. So no, we can't sign a 26th new player just because a guy left. We've already enrolled the limit of 25. Half the team could leave and we'd still couldn't add another new player in this cycle.

Edited by Mikey

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

While that frees up a spot on the overall 85 limit, it does nothing for the annual limit of 25 new players on scholarship. So no, we can't sign a 26th new player just because a guy left. We've already enrolled the limit of 25. Half the team could leave and we'd still couldn't add another new player in this cycle.

True, but ......  You presume that we were at 24 awarded schollies as of the end of June.  Then came Cord, who made 25.  I'm not sure in my own mind that 24 was the correct beginning number.  Perhaps it was, perhaps it wasn't.  I don't know.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, API said:

True, but ......  You presume that we were at 24 awarded schollies as of the end of June.  Then came Cord, who made 25.  I'm not sure in my own mind that 24 was the correct beginning number.  Perhaps it was, perhaps it wasn't.  I don't know.

So baseball isn't buying Mr. Sandberg's education (a la Mr. Ray)?

Are we at the 85 count now or are two or three slots available for deserving walk-ons? I'm probably wrong but I don't believe we've had as much attrition this year.

Edited by autan
Add a comment.
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, API said:

It was at 25 before the DE from Miami didn't qualify. When that happened it opened up one position for Cord. Now we're back at 25 and full up. You can go to the recruiting forum and count the names. There will be 25 if it's been updated.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, autan said:

Are we at the 85 count now or are two or three slots available for deserving walk-ons? I'm probably wrong but I don't believe we've had as much attrition this year.

Attrition from 8-1-'17 through 7-31-'18. Total of ten. Lower than recent years, but about average for the long term.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Walk on QB Devan Adams awarded a scholly tonight. Smart money says that puts us at 85.

If this puts us at 85 limit I'm guessing  last year walk-on recipients of 1-year schollies are being renewed (Will Hastings, Tucker Brown, etc).  Can anyone verify that?