Bruce has a presser at 12:30 that was just scheduled

ellitor

Imagine a lineup with

Pg- Harper or Mitchell

SG- Mustapha

SF- Purifoy

PF- Montgomery

C- Wiley 

Then we got Brown off the bench along with Horace, McLemore, Murray, Okeke, and Lang. I don't know if that's how BP would do it, Brown could start. But damn, that's a fun lineup. 3 five stars and two highly regarded 4 stars. If we didn't make the tournament with that then we may never make it again

16 minutes ago, au302 said:

Imagine a lineup with

Pg- Harper or Mitchell

SG- Mustapha

SF- Purifoy

PF- Montgomery

C- Wiley 

Then we got Brown off the bench along with Horace, McLemore, Murray, Okeke, and Lang. I don't know if that's how BP would do it, Brown could start. But damn, that's a fun lineup. 3 five stars and two highly regarded 4 stars. If we didn't make the tournament with that then we may never make it again

I'm not sure if I would put Montgomery and Wiley on the floor at the same time too much or not, preferring to have one on the floor at all times and thus only overlapping in time for fewer minutes...but it WOULD create matchup problems down low on both ends of the floor.

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

Was the press conference to say the season is over?

That and to confirm that he was not on the "hot seat"  

First off, the media are the only ones drumming up "hot seat" talk. Just getting themselves clicks. 

Second, in hindsight, Bruce might have decided to have the press conference last minute because the beats were already in town for Pro Day. If they piss him off with hot seat talk, he might not be as thoughtful next time.

47 minutes ago, jared52 said:

First off, the media are the only ones drumming up "hot seat" talk. Just getting themselves clicks. 

Second, in hindsight, Bruce might have decided to have the press conference last minute because the beats were already in town for Pro Day. If they piss him off with hot seat talk, he might not be as thoughtful next time.

Might have been a subtle or not so subtle response to what could be called a "hit piece" by Scarb on al.com after the mizz game.  Just BP's way of saying that he was not going anywhere....though it's hard to argue with what scarb had to say about the last half of our season. 

I guess it was obvious to BP also that a pay for play event like CBI was not worth the money.   Playing a couple bottom rung teams for AU was strictly a no win situation IMO.

So glad Bruce made what many consider the obvious call. Love how he just flatlines everything and calls it like it is. Onward to next season. 

The BP hot seat talk is ridiculous. The team played poorly but this was our best year in a long time, like it or not. If he doesn't improve next year we should be concerned but until then we ought to stick it out imo

On 3/11/2017 at 0:43 PM, au302 said:

The BP hot seat talk is ridiculous. The team played poorly but this was our best year in a long time, like it or not. If he doesn't improve next year we should be concerned but until then we ought to stick it out imo

There is no hot seat for him (and won't even be after next year if we look the same as this year). There may be for his assistants however.  The Tony Jones talk asked about earlier is in regard to Jones being part of Bruce's staff for pretty much all of his success and getting him back would put the A team back together, where it appears to many that his current assistants may not be the best match with Bruce when it comes to on the floor coaching.  

So in simpler terms, hot seat for Bruce? No way. Hot seat for the rest of the staff?  Depends on who they can be replaced with. 

Assistants aren't as vital as football. You can transition assistants and not even notice in basketball usually

On 3/10/2017 at 3:43 PM, Rednilla said:

With 4 freshmen as the leading scorers, no less. The sky's the limit for these guys, but I think the potential will be greatest in two years (provided neither Heron nor Wiley go pro), when EJ Montgomery gets here. That'll give us two legit monsters down low, and the versatility to play any style of ball we want to.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited as all get out about next season. It's just that thinking about Wiley and Montgomery with Heron, Harper, Brown, Purifoy, Spencer, McLemore, and the other two recruits from this past cycle (Okeke and Mitchell) gets me very, very excited about the future beyond next year.

Agree on all counts I'm just not optimistic Wiley and Heron stick around for their junior years. Not because I think they will be high lotto picks or anything (usually most of those go to the 1 and done guys) but because there is a stigma that the older you are in college the worse situation you're putting yourself in when it comes to the NBA draft. But we would finally have a complete roster as you mentioned with Montgomery plus whichever other studs Bruce pulls in by that time.

Archived