Marshall Taylor finally opens up on incident that led to Jovon's dismissal

TitanTiger

***Free Content***

AUBURN, Ala. — As former Auburn defensive back Marshall Taylor met informally with NFL scouts and coaches in attendance after completing drills at Auburn’s Pro Day on Friday, one topic of conversation was brought up continuously.

It wasn’t necessarily something Taylor wanted to talk about, but something he knew needed to be addressed.

The questions were regarding the summer night that left Taylor battered, bloody and bruised and, later, was a factor in the dismissal of presumed starting running back Jovon Robinson on the first day of fall practice.

In his first meeting with reporters since the incident, Taylor told the story of the night as he remembers it.

“He invited me to go to a party. We got over there, and things got ugly real fast. I took the worst end of it,” Taylor said. “ … I’m pretty sure that he was messing with a married-type chick or something. I was the first one seen, so I caught the beating. I got knocked out.”

Taylor said Robinson returned to Auburn with an unconscious Taylor in tow. Taylor said Robinson left him in his dorm room, still unconscious, and did not seek medical attention.

“(Former Auburn defensive backs coach (Wesley) McGriff found me in my room, because my mother was worried and blowing his phone up,” Taylor said. “He got into my room to find me and then took me to the training room.”

There, Taylor said the trainers used ammonia to revive him and quickly attended to his various injuries. He refused to elaborate on what those injuries were, but he did say they included many cuts.

Robinson denied involvement in the altercation shortly after his dismissal, saying he was “stereotyped and disrespected” by the Auburn coaching staff. A source close to the situation, however, told AuburnUndercover at the time that Robinson had admitted to a pair of incidents, including the one with Taylor, to those close to him.

Taylor, a graduate transfer from Miami (Ohio), missed much of fall camp as he recovered, which cut into his playing time early in the season. He totaled eight tackles and three pass breakups in 12 games.

The 6-foot-3, 191-pound cornerback said he was not involved in internal discussions regarding whether Robinson should be allowed back for Pro Day as dismissed wide receiver Duke Williams was last year.

“It’s not my school,” Taylor said. “It’s coach (Gus) Malzahn’s program. Whatever he sees fit, he has the right to do. I’m just thankful. He could have got rid of me too back then. He gave me a second chance, and I kept a pretty straight, clean line after that. I’m appreciative of that.”

Robinson ultimately was not in attendance on Friday, which Taylor said “didn’t matter” to him. Malzahn deflected a question on the situation.

“I’m just going to talk about the guys that performed today here,” he said.

Taylor said he saw Robinson on Friday morning, but the two did not speak. The former running back has been spotted several times around Auburn in recent weeks, including at the athletics complex on National Signing Day.

Ultimately, Taylor said the incident served as a “life lesson learned,” and he has “no hard feelings” toward Robinson or anyone in the program.

He knows the questions will keep coming, but he’s prepared to answer them and keep looking to the future.

“As a teammate, you just assume that the guy next to you wearing the same jersey will have your back,” Taylor said. “ … He made the decision, and he’s got to live with it. I made the decision to go with him, and I’ve got to live with it.”

AuburnUndercover has been unable to reach Robinson since the summer.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Former-Auburn-Tigers-defensive-back-Marshall-Taylor-tells-all-on-51707338

Messing with a married woman. Way to go Jovon............. O well a star was born in Bubba but Jovon will be one of the biggest what if stories in a long time for Auburn players. SOOOOOOO much talent wasted at least at Auburn.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Jovon is a POS.  

Trying to get with a married woman certainly seems to point that this is the case. Thats one of the biggest no no's out there. That just lacks of class and good morals.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Trying to get with a married woman certainly seems to point that this is the case. Thats one of the biggest no no's out there. That just lacks of class and good morals.

That's the first reason.  The second is dumping an unconscious teammate in his dorm room after having the s*** beat out of him and not calling a coach or a doctor to check on him.

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

That's the first reason.  The second is dumping an unconscious teammate in his dorm room after having the s*** beat out of him and not calling a coach or a doctor to check on him.

However painted, an ugly picture.

could care less about the married woman stuff. Leaving a team mate unconscious is disgraceful.  Taylor could have died for all Jovon kne and he left him for dead. thanks to the coaches for getting rid of him.

Why is Jovon still hanging around Auburn, and why was he "spotted" at the athletics complex on signing day. He doesn't need to be anywhere near our program. 

21 minutes ago, au302 said:

Why is Jovon still hanging around Auburn, and why was he "spotted" at the athletics complex on signing day. He doesn't need to be anywhere near our program. 

Probably was hoping to get an invite like Duke to our NFL Pro Day. 

1 hour ago, shabby said:

could care less about the married woman stuff. Leaving a team mate unconscious is disgraceful.  Taylor could have died for all Jovon kne and he left him for dead. thanks to the coaches for getting rid of him.

I care. Thats effed up. The other stuff is just worse.

4 hours ago, shabby said:

Wow, just wow! I guess this is where we are as a society. I thought Auburn was different.

That last bolded statement is pretty big, too!  Could it be that Jovon let him take a beating and didn't jump in to try and help him?

That's the part of the story I have a hard time understanding.Jovon is the one doing the dirty deed yet, they rush and beat you up on sight?

10 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Wow, just wow! I guess this is where we are as a society. I thought Auburn was different.

Jovon ≠ Auburn.

I am confused ...so Marshall took a beating because Jovon was dating someone's wife...or did Jovon beat up Marshall...and either way he left him without seeking medical attention 

57 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I am confused ...so Marshall took a beating because Jovon was dating someone's wife...or did Jovon beat up Marshall...and either way he left him without seeking medical attention 

Sounds like it was guilty by association. JR was taking his shot at someone else's wife and the husband plus his crew wasn't having it. At least that is my assumption.

4 hours ago, Southwest said:

That's the part of the story I have a hard time understanding.Jovon is the one doing the dirty deed yet, they rush and beat you up on sight?

That is not unheard of actually. Plenty of times someone gets throttled for hanging out with the wrong person at the wrong time. Not saying MT is completely innocent, as we do not know the full story. However, it most definitely happens.

17 hours ago, au302 said:

This.  And why don't the reporters ask GM about it and make him at least stammer and stumble around looking for a way to "deflect" the question.  No excuse whatsoever for him to be on campus much less the athletics area.

19 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Not to quibble but I think the second is far more egregious than the first. Being knocked unconscious could be life threatening.

What I don't understand is why he is allowed to hang around the facility.

10 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Not to quibble but I think the second is far more egregious than the first. Being knocked unconscious could be life threatening.

What I don't understand is why he is allowed to hang around the facility.

From my observation it's a pretty open campus and people are more or less free to come and go where ever they want.  BUT....coaches should have made it clear (and maybe tried) that he should move along.   JR is probably not the kind of guy who takes friendly advice very seriously. 

Hopefully...a few days more and this is ancient history. 

14 hours ago, AU-24 said:

No you didn't. you think Auburn is some magical land where kids don't have sex, smoke weed and make stupid decisions? Sleeping with a married woman is a stupid decision. Leaving a team mate unconscious after carrying him and dropping him off is a whole new level. If you can't see the difference between those two acts than perhaps you should get off your moral high horse and come live in the real world for a moment. 

3 minutes ago, shabby said:

No you didn't. you think Auburn is some magical land where kids don't have sex, smoke weed and make stupid decisions? Sleeping with a married woman is a stupid decision. Leaving a team mate unconscious after carrying him and dropping him off is a whole new level. If you can't see the difference between those two acts than perhaps you should get off your moral high horse and come live in the real world for a moment. 

easy...moral high horse.....sounds like the one you are riding.

As Mikey wisely stated some years ago....."all the schools fish in the same pond" ...and mostly catch the same kind of fish. 

We might like to think AU is different but ....sometimes we are just more fortunate than other schools.... but over time, everyone reverts to the mean. . 

Archived