Jeremy Johnson: 'It was my fault' "UPDATED"

aubiefifty

On 3/13/2017 at 9:41 PM, Gowebb11 said:

Good points,all. Note my original post specified "in this league".  I'm not impressed by Conference USA or Sunbelt records. Chris Todd put up good numbers for an 8-5 team as has Sean. They are good QBs, Newton and Marshall competed for championships because they were able to overcome some of the shortcomings many of us believe exists in our scheme and play calling. You and I may see things differently, but hopefully we agree that this is a good time to hand the reins to CCL and get back to playing for titles. WDE

Please don't take this the wrong way, we disagree here it goes:

In comparing Apples with Apples, Gus has consistently developed some of the top QB's in the game.  One of your freak athletes was told by Urban Meyer himself, that his best way to making it, in major college football and in the NFL, was as a tight end. Meyer has a few rings and completely missed this one, that Gus nailed!

Another freak athlete that wasn't even drafted as a QB but as a DB, was developed into a SEC winning quarterback, and what would've been a national championship quarterback, if not for the defense and special teams play, in the national championship game. 

If you care to, you may want to check the defensive side of the ball on those 8-5 teams, with our record setting, non-freak athletes at QB.

On a sidenote, how well did Lefty do, developing QB's after Gus left?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 5:08 PM, PoetTiger said:

I think so many go with what ever beat it is....but I guess not living up to expectations opens the door for a lot of criticism, some fair some not. Gus with all his perceived stubbornness, etc., still has led some of if not the most prolific offenses in Auburn history. I personally don't think JJ had it upstairs, and he just put way too much pressure on himself. The inexcusable turnovers were his biggest problem. He threw some picks and he was not being pressured at all..clean pocket and everything. There were times he looked scared as crap out there. I mean they teach you in HS to throw it away and not to the other team. As for route trees I had not seen that word around here until one of Auburn's WRS vying for an NFL roster was criticized for coming from this offense. Now everyone is a route tree expert and want to question routes in this offense. No one was questioning route trees in 2010 or 2013 cause AU was winning. As for Gus, his hands will be on this offense...Chip may have the keys but Gus is riding shotgun for sure. It's wishful thinking to believe he will not. 

There is no way Gus will be hands off.  Of course that is what he says publically but what is done privately we be another story.  Plus let's not be naïve, Gus and his staff know that another 8-5 7-6 record and they are done for.  Regardless of what the sunshine pumpers say.  I don't see Gus staying away from the offense for his make or break season.    

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

Please don't take this the wrong way, we disagree here it goes:

In comparing Apples with Apples, Gus has consistently developed some of the top QB's in the game.  One of your freak athletes was told by Urban Meyer himself, that his best way to making it, in major college football and in the NFL, was as a tight end. Meyer has a few rings and completely missed this one, that Gus nailed!

Another freak athlete that wasn't even drafted as a QB but as a DB, was developed into a SEC winning quarterback, and what would've been a national championship quarterback, if not for the defense and special teams play, in the national championship game. 

If you care to, you may want to check the defensive side of the ball on those 8-5 teams, with our record setting, non-freak athletes at QB.

On a sidenote, how well did Lefty do, developing QB's after Gus left?

I hope you are right and Gus is an incredible developer of QBs. In the 5 games versus Clemson, TAMU, LSU, UGA, and Bama we scored a total of 4 TDs. We are going to need more than that if we are going to contend for the SEC West. I'll gladly trade recorded setting QBs and 5 loss seasons for stability at QB and title contention. 

7 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I hope you are right and Gus is an incredible developer of QBs. In the 5 games versus Clemson, TAMU, LSU, UGA, and Bama we scored a total of 4 TDs. We are going to need more than that if we are going to contend for the SEC West. I'll gladly trade recorded setting QBs and 5 loss seasons for stability at QB and title contention. 

Clemson was a  debacle, in other games mentioned, Sean was hurt.

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

Actually I think he was healthy for ATM. We had not got the oline straight yet. Might have if not wasting a game (Clemson debacle). That game gives me a headache still. 

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

War Eagle AU-24. I've enjoyed the exchange of perspectives. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Actually I think he was healthy for ATM. We had not got the oline straight yet. Might have if not wasting a game (Clemson debacle). That game gives me a headache still. 

That's the game where we tried to block the soon-to-be #1 overall draft pick with a pulling guard from the opposite side. We also ran the Coxcat a couple times. Sean made a few mistakes in that game but so did his coaches.

As far as JJ goes, sometimes players get the yips. When the do some players recover some don't. That is why there are sports psychologists, MLB players use them all the time. He got the yips

55 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

As far as JJ goes, sometimes players get the yips. When the do some players recover some don't. That is why there are sports psychologists, MLB players use them all the time. He got the yips

That's why I'm refusing to like the Baylor guy for now.

I liked JJ since he came to AU and it happened to him, I liked KF when he came, and this or ... something happened to him.

On 3/15/2017 at 8:00 PM, alexava said:

He wasn't hurt against lsu

23 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That's the game where we tried to block the soon-to-be #1 overall draft pick with a pulling guard from the opposite side. We also ran the Coxcat a couple times. Sean made a few mistakes in that game but so did his coaches.

The coaches had been making mistakes for a while now.  Made it hard for all the qb's especially when that first play up the middle didn't get more than 2 yards

4 hours ago, Mims44 said:

That's why I'm refusing to like the Baylor guy for now.

I liked JJ since he came to AU and it happened to him, I liked KF when he came, and this or ... something happened to him.

I don't think anything "happened" to KF.  I think that like many high school players, he just could not make the adjustment/transition to the level of talent/speed of the game.  When you get to major college D1 level, just about every player you go up against is like the best player on the best team you ever played in high school.  And I recall way back I went and looked at some of KF's high school footage (what was available anyway) and thought to myself "He'll never get away with some of those throws at AU. I hope he can make the adjustment."

It may be much of the same thing for JJ.  Some folks have all the athletic talent in the world and can pretty much dominate against mere mortal (read "average") opposition. But when you put them up against their equals or betters in a game and things speed up, they just can't quite do it. And no, that's not calling JJ (or KF) somehow mentally deficient or "slow" (as in back in the days when a lot of folks tried to say that black people didn't have the mental capacity to play QB), it's just a fact of life.

Ya know, the same thing happens when players (especially QB's) try to make the transition to the next level if they make the NFL.  At that level, every player they face isn't just like the best player on the best team from high school but instead is like the best player on the best teams in college, but at every position. And the speed takes yet another jump as well.  That's why you hear analysts talking about QB's that are able to make the throws to receivers that are "NFL open", because for most every QB in college, "NFL open" means covered with nowhere to go with the ball.

JJ shouldn't blame himself and I think folks would be well served to stop looking for someone to blame as well. Sometimes, quite often in fact, this is just the way it works out. 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

He wasn't hurt against lsu

He played pretty well outside the rz. The best I can recall.....?

3 hours ago, alexava said:

He played pretty well outside the rz. The best I can recall.....?

I think it was pretty much the same all year.. throw it between the 20s and just run it three to seven times in the redzone, coming predictable and settling for field goals. I think we actually threw it into the actual endzone maybe six to seven times all year. And a total of ten to fifteen in two years. Most passes in the redzone were short of the touch line. 

Our go to is that pass to the short field that we scored with CJ Uzoma with a few years ago. The go to this year was #8. Our actual success came from the TE because no one could predict we were setting everyone up for three years on that play.

Going off course...but throwing in what I remember as well. 

14 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

I don't think anything "happened" to KF.  I think that like many high school players, he just could not make the adjustment/transition to the level of talent/speed of the game.  When you get to major college D1 level, just about every player you go up against is like the best player on the best team you ever played in high school.  And I recall way back I went and looked at some of KF's high school footage (what was available anyway) and thought to myself "He'll never get away with some of those throws at AU. I hope he can make the adjustment."

That's how I feel about Byron Cowart.

15 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

It may be much of the same thing for JJ.  Some folks have all the athletic talent in the world and can pretty much dominate against mere mortal (read "average") opposition. But when you put them up against their equals or betters in a game and things speed up, they just can't quite do it. And no, that's not calling JJ (or KF) somehow mentally deficient or "slow" (as in back in the days when a lot of folks tried to say that black people didn't have the mental capacity to play QB), it's just a fact of life.

Ya know, the same thing happens when players (especially QB's) try to make the transition to the next level if they make the NFL.  At that level, every player they face isn't just like the best player on the best team from high school but instead is like the best player on the best teams in college, but at every position. And the speed takes yet another jump as well.  That's why you hear analysts talking about QB's that are able to make the throws to receivers that are "NFL open", because for most every QB in college, "NFL open" means covered with nowhere to go with the ball.

JJ shouldn't blame himself and I think folks would be well served to stop looking for someone to blame as well. Sometimes, quite often in fact, this is just the way it works out. 

Good post. While I agree with your point, the level of competition JJ faced in HS and KF faced in HS were worlds different IMO. I may be wrong as I haven't seen KF's HS highlights in what seems forever, but I remember thinking how is this kid bigger than most of the OL and DL on the field and he doesn't have freakish measurable? I think KF had a much bigger adjustment to make and just could not do it. And that's OK. Not everyone is built to be an SEC Power's starting QB. Not to mention the program was crumbling all around him did not help matters at all.

12 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

I think it was pretty much the same all year.. throw it between the 20s and just run it three to seven times in the redzone,... I think we actually threw it into the actual endzone maybe six to seven times all year. And a total of ten to fifteen in two years. Most passes in the redzone were short of the touch line.

And why do you think that was the case?  How long do SW's throws stay in the air?  And as the field shrinks and coverage tightens, how long does it take an SEC DB to break on the ball and get to it?  Just asking.

On 3/17/2017 at 0:47 PM, oracle79 said:

And why do you think that was the case?  How long do SW's throws stay in the air?  And as the field shrinks and coverage tightens, how long does it take an SEC DB to break on the ball and get to it?  Just asking.

Well you would think that throwing it would keep teams off balance. I know that coverage is tight in the redzone but if you show a tendency to run every time in the redzone, then we get overly predictable. It's the coaches job to draw up plays that White can make. And using your talent as weapons not just as blockers. I rewatched the National Championship the other night and Clemson did a really good job of throwing in the redzone. Good routes and using their receivers, TE, and backs as weapons. It's a night and day difference between our offenses.

On 3/17/2017 at 1:05 PM, Tiger said:

Good post. While I agree with your point, the level of competition JJ faced in HS and KF faced in HS were worlds different IMO. I may be wrong as I haven't seen KF's HS highlights in what seems forever, but I remember thinking how is this kid bigger than most of the OL and DL on the field and he doesn't have freakish measurable? I think KF had a much bigger adjustment to make and just could not do it. And that's OK. Not everyone is built to be an SEC Power's starting QB. Not to mention the program was crumbling all around him did not help matters at all.

KF like Kodi are from Arkansas and it is no secret Arkansas high school athletics are lacking . They have their diamonds in the rough of course , but generally speaking the talent level is not there . At the very least , Kodi played against much stiffer competition . KF played for Shiloh Christian, a smaller size private school. They got destroyed when they played Euless out of Texas 

14 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Well you would think that throwing it would keep teams off balance. I know that coverage is tight in the redzone but if you show a tendency to run every time in the redzone, then we get overly predictable. It's the coaches job to draw up plays that White can make. And using your talent as weapons not just as blockers. I rewatched the National Championship the other night and Clemson did a really good job of throwing in the redzone. Good routes and using their receivers, TE, and backs as weapons. It's a night and day difference between our offenses.

You make good points about predictability.  But, SW isn't Deshaun Watson, and GM passing scheme is not Dabo passing scheme.  Maybe JS and Coach CL change that this year.

3 hours ago, oracle79 said:

You make good points about predictability.  But, SW isn't Deshaun Watson, and GM passing scheme is not Dabo passing scheme.  Maybe JS and Coach CL change that this year.

Yeah that's my point. We need to adapt. Yes hope JS and Coach CL can fix this.

Guest WarEagleSteve
On 3/17/2017 at 2:47 PM, oracle79 said:

We haven't consistently thrown the ball inside the red zone since Nick Marshall and even those were few and far between. CJ Uzomah and 2014 Duke Williams were the last true red zone receiving threats we had and Gus' playbook was already light on effective pass plays inside the 20s as it was. Tell me, when's the last time we ran a slant inside the 15? or a corner fade? Or ANY pass play inside the 15 that wasn't a bootleg?

On 3/19/2017 at 9:56 AM, oracle79 said:

I don't know that Dabo has his own scheme.  When he needed a OC he called Gus for recommendations. 

Archived