Baseball vs Presbyterian Day 2

Nice DP...and timely 

20 minutes ago, AU64 said:

CSG was in NCAA tournament 15 times......only guy we've had since Baird who had done that more than a couple times.   So we replace him with a guy who has not been a HC at a serious program.  

Revisionist history....?  I don't think so.   Not pining for him...but just noting that he had proven that he knew how to get there after inheriting a worse team that BP got from Barbee.  AU made it's decision to fire him....he might even have deserved it but doesn't mean that he did not know how to win. 

C'mon 64, we have had good, spirited discussions on the baseball board for years, but are you really going to throw this out there?  He inherited a 33-23 team that was full of sophomores and juniors from a 2013 team that was one win in the SEC tournament from getting off the bubble and getting into a regional.  Also, the program had not finished below .500 in the 8 years before he took over the program.  He didn't turn the Bad News Bears into the New York Yankees.  He led a team to a regional semi-final.  

2 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

C'mon 64, we have had good, spirited discussions on the baseball board for years, but are you really going to throw this out there?  He inherited a 33-23 team that was full of sophomores and juniors from a 2013 team that was one win in the SEC tournament from getting off the bubble and getting into a regional.  Also, the program had not finished below .500 in the 8 years before he took over the program.  He didn't turn the Bad News Bears into the New York Yankees.  He led a team to a regional semi-final.  

True. but what SG brought to the team that i never saw under Paw was a mental toughness that this team needed to fight through adversity or weather stormy games. OFC, some of his attitudes were Trump like, and he rubbed many the wrong way, especially his management. Who knows if his teams would have gotten even better or continued getting to the NCAAs. We will never know...

Just like it is too early to tell about CBT. He has pitching coaching credentials, so now we must see if he can manage a whole team to consistent winning, and getting us back in the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

True. but what SG brought to the team that i never saw under Paw was a mental toughness that this team needed to fight through adversity or weather stormy games. OFC, some of his attitudes were Trump like, and he rubbed many the wrong way, especially his management. Who knows if his teams would have gotten even better or continued getting to the NCAAs. We will never know...

Just like it is too early to tell about CBT. He has pitching coaching credentials, so now we must see if he can manage a whole team to consistent winning, and getting us back in the playoffs. 

You make an interesting point about CSG. In 2015, although he had inherited some good players, he got them to think differently. Some may not agree with his tactics, but his players had the attitude that they were going to win. They were more on the attack than I've seen paying attention to auburn baseball. 

Golloway is gone, not coming back.  That should not be pinned on Thompson...Jay Jacobs flat out fabricated "cause" and let Scott Duvall do his dirty work.  Just filthy, why no outrage in that direction?

Butch Thompson is the guy, get on board.

• WarTiger changed the title to Baseball vs Presbyterian Day 2
10 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Actually the 2014 team he inherited was a disaster....AU was a huge disappointment after CSG was talking CWS and team and parents whined about what a nasty guy he was (probably with justification) and he mostly cleaned house.   The next year when AU was in the regionals, it was mostly a new team...including some pretty good bats who got passed on to CBT last year....where the team wore the ball out....one of best team batting averages in the league but did not know how to get runs across the plate.

I'm just suggesting that a guy who got his teams to regionals something like 15 out of 17 seasons was probably going to continue doing it.     As you noted Slater and Pawloski had a bit of a flash...but did not get the job done here.  CSG should not be classified the same as them.  And the team last year had enough talent that AU should have been in the Regionals...essentially the same team that got there the year before.     We now have a coach who has never done it....and it's sure harder to do it the first time.

Anyways, nice day at the park. Mize threw a good game, had like 102 or so pitches of which 75 or so were for strikes. Had 10k's. Got the bats going late, but almost gloved it away. I do know the pick off move to first by #37 ( I think), both times were super close, great move for him. Enjoyed the game. War Eagle

Ugly win today. First  Auburn baseball seen by me this year. have a place here and visiting but on the coast now. Not expecting to see what I saw today. bases loaded and two looking KOs?? no scorecard but if memory serves me they get 4 runs on two errors?

Butch Thompson post game " Like being in the dentist office three or three and half hour today."

SG sucks. Butch is the man now. Support him.

I support Butch but Galloway was the guy imo and he shouldn't have been fired. I have moved on but we must admit he got a bad deal. His first year he had all of Pawlowskis guys who didn't like his style, but after he brought in his staff and players the team immediately improved. I bet he would have gotten that lineup to drive in the runners last year but oh well, Butch is now the guy. But I do think there should have been outrage towards Jacobs and Duvall for doing what they did. That was just horrible 

Archived