2018 4* Buck End Richard Jibunor (Transfers to Troy)

ellitor

5 hours ago, WFE12 said:

I don't see him not doing it man. Another strong relationship with T-WILL and he has his close friend in Prince Tega. He's coming.

I don't know. It seems that there are a couple of these guys, and Jibunor is one of them, that if they were going to sign with AU the time to commit was a month or so ago. The time was then and maybe that time has passed. They already had seen everything they needed to see. I hope I'm wrong of course but I'm not optimistic, given the way a few of this year's group has dragged around.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I don't know. It seems that there are a couple of these guys, and Jibunor is one of them, that if they were going to sign with AU the time to commit was a month or so ago. The time was then and maybe that time has passed. They already had seen everything they needed to see. I hope I'm wrong of course but I'm not optimistic, given the way a few of this year's group has dragged around.

I was feeling the same about Monday...I was wrong.

I truly believe many of these recruits love the attention (more than they should).  And thusly they don't want their 'rock star popularity' to wane.  Consequently, they intentionally drag out the commitment.  This is the first time many have had such popularity or attention from adults.  I get it, but dislike it.

When you guys are able to accurately second guess a teenager, you'll be a millionaire. Good luck trying though. Who can understand these guys, it's futile to even try. You'll find yourselves chasing your tails. :dunno: 

Top Auburn defensive target Richard Jibunor explains decision delay, describes love for Tigers

Welcome to SEC Country’s daily Auburn Tigers football recruiting notebook with Auburn recruiting beat writer Benjamin Wolk. It Thursday, and we break down our extensive 1-on-1 with Richard Jibunor and where his recruitment sits.

Why Richard Jibunor will briefly wait to decide

ATHENS, Ga. — Richard Jibunor has said throughout the recruiting cycle that he’d make a college decision before August is up.

It’s still possible, but he’s also willing to let the process dip into September. For one reason.

The 6-foot-4, 210-pound multi-talented prospect still has one more visit he needs to take. Jibunor has visited Auburn and Tennessee more than anywhere else, which is a big reason why those two schools have been deemed his most likely landing spots throughout the summer.

DSC_0426-1_bzezvb.jpg
4-star DE target Richard Jibunor. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

But he still wants to make one more visit, but can’t do so until the dead period ends. That won’t be until August is over. And that visit will be to Gainesville, Fla.

The Gators have made a hard, late push.

Florida’s coming hard now. I have to take that visit before I decide. As long as they give us permission to start visiting colleges, the week they let us go see them, I’ll be at Florida that weekend,” the 247Sports 4-star linebacker prospect told SEC Country. “I want to be in that meeting room. I want to see how many linebackers they’ve got, who is graduating and who they’ve got coming in. I want to go to see how it feels. I just want to see what kind of feeling I get when I go to Florida.”

As far as feelings go, Jibunor doesn’t hide the two places where he feels most comfortable. That’s at Auburn and Tennessee. His two strongest coaching relationships are with Auburn linebackers coach Travis Williams and Tennessee linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen. Jibunor says they have “basically the exact same personality.”

But Florida linebackers coach Tim Skipper has made a major impression on Jibunor lately, hence the wish to visit Gainesville before a decision.

The Gators will have one other selling point: Their only linebacker committed, David Reese, forged a strong bond with Jibunor at the Rivals 5-star Challenge in Indianapolis.

He’s my very good friend. We actually went to camp together a few weeks ago. He’s been trying to bring me over,” Jibunor said. “Coach (Skipper) said he’s looking at three linebackers. It was David, me and [fellow Class of 2018 linebacker prospect] Channing Tindall. Florida is really pressing for the three of us. I think that’s what they’re really on my case right now.”

Auburn among several top contenders — technically speaking

Officially, Jibunor still has nine schools he’s still considering, though he admitted it’s been hard to stay focused on all nine.

The last few months have been about working toward three or four programs. There is still time for other suitors to work their way into contention, but Jibunor said his “heart and mind” are starting to close in on Auburn, Tennessee, Florida and Georgia Tech, which are the most likely schools to grab his commitment.

Auburn and Tennessee have had a clear advantage against other programs since the beginning. Tennessee was the first to offer him. Auburn has hosted him on the most visits. Georgia Tech’s biggest pull will be if Jibunor decides to study engineering, which he said would make it hard for him to choose another school. Florida has made up the most ground late.

Auburn-Auburn Tigers-Auburn recruiting-Auburn football-Gus Malzahn-Richard Jibunor-2018-recruiting
Auburn target Richard Jibunor is a man of many positions. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

But Auburn and Tennessee will be the teams the other two — and the unmentioned schools in his top nine — have to chase.

Every time I go to Auburn I’m like, ‘Man this is my home.’ It’s the same way with Tennessee, those two places,” Jibunor said. “Coach T-Will, we talk all the time on FaceTime. I talk with his family too, his wife, his daughters. Coach (Gus) Malzahn too. Nothing has really changed with me and Auburn.”

Jibunor doesn’t know yet if he’ll visit Auburn again before he decides, but he also suggests it likely won’t matter either way. He knows what he’s getting from Auburn, its coaches and players. He’s visited the Plains enough times to know, unlike with Florida where he wants to take a test-the-waters visit before deciding.

Jibunor planned to visit Auburn for the cookout last weekend, but he wasn’t logistically able to attend. Not to worry. He desperately wanted to be there and Williams made sure to reach out regardless.

Even when I don’t have a means of coming, he calls my family to make sure everything is OK with me,” Jibunor said. “We have that special kind of bond.”

Auburn’s special message to Richard Jibunor

One of the biggest question surrounding Jibunor: What position will he play?

At camps, he’s won positional MVPs as a defensive end and linebacker. For his high school team, he plays safety and wide receiver, too. When he was originally offered by Tennessee, the Volunteers wanted Jibunor as a tight end.

The basketball player, cross-country athlete and track star can truly do whatever he’s asked to do.

Jibunor said he’d prefer to play linebacker, but he understands much of that is dependent on his body’s development and how his speed responds to it. For Florida, Jibunor most likely projects as a linebacker. Auburn and Tennessee both see him more as someone who will grow into a Buck position option.

But Auburn has made one message quite clear to him. The Tigers simply want Jibunor, the person, in their class. The position will sort itself out later.

“They told me, even if they have complete linebacker commits on the team, just know you’re still going to be among the team. You’re still going to have a spot,” Jibunor said. “We’ll bring you in as a tight end or wide receiver or anything just to make sure you have a spot.”

Auburn wants him as a Buck, and that’s what he’ll be. But it shows how badly the Tigers want Jibunor to send him such a powerful message.

• 2 weeks later...

Just commit to us already!! YOU KNOW YA WANNA! haha

20 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Just commit to us already!! YOU KNOW YA WANNA! haha

This guy was really high on my want list early on, but I'm a little fatigued on his recruitment. That said, keep fighting the good fight T G Will!

6 minutes ago, dabrasco said:

HELL YES!!!!!! Wait, you tricked me.... 

LMAO!!! he tricked me as well! I thought this was his commitment tweet already.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This guy was really high on my want list early on, but I'm a little fatigued on his recruitment. That said, keep fighting the good fight T G Will!

Same here and it is only mid august! Like when we keep hearing they could commit ANY TIME NOW and that was several months ago.............. yah excuse us auburn FANATICS for growing a little irritated! haha

This kid will be a beast.  If Jimmy pulls another kid out from under us I am going to drive to Gainesville and slap him hard enough to part his hair the other direction.  

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Very excited about this kids athleticism. Hope he calls AU home. Seems like he can play all 11 spots on the defense 

Only Bugs Bunny and Wade Christopher could pull off that feat.

4 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Oh lawd ... a wade Christopher reference ...

I think you need to have more reverence for THE Wade Christopher...:poke:

23 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

It really is time for RJ to commit.

If you hear any sounds bites from him, you'd swear that he already had. No clue what he's waiting for.

If I were a kid like this I would tell the team I was committed but wait until NSD to make it public. Enjoy your moment in the spotlight but be straight with your future team.

Here's my breakdown of this kids film though.

- he has an amazing frame and he looks like a workout freak that'll add 20 pounds his freshman year. I can picture him filling the role Jeff Holland played this past game.

- plays with a little too high of a pad level. Needs to get lower and work on a fundamental tackle. Steele would turn this guy into one of the physical freaks we've seen come through LSU in the last decade.

- his athleticism is insane. His vision in every spot on the field is phenomenal. He has a lot of the qualities you can't teach. THIS is the type of recruit we should be looking for. 

Hope he commits.

• 2 weeks later...

YAAAAAAAAAAH the ending of that game could not of gone any worse for us. Probaly will make him delay his decision even longer.

Archived