March Madness

AU64

Gets started this week with two teams from the state of Alabama......Troy and Jax State. Between them they only played a couple Power 5 teams. lost all of the games and never beat a ranked team as best I can tell.   Yet there they are and a pretty good bama team and an Auburn team that could beat either of them ....even on an off night...will be watching. 

Some interesting pairing for March Madness.....and once again showed that while it is touted as a 68 team tournament, it actually is a tournament of about 30 or so top teams and another 30 or so "warm-up teams" that give the impression that it is a test of the elite basketball programs of the nations. 

So the state's two representatives to March Madness will be served up as an hors d'oeuvre  for Duke and Louisville before those highly regarded teams down to serious matters.  And of course, a few times in the history of the tournament, 15h or 16th seeded teams have slipped up on one of the big boys who over-looked them....but the odds are pretty slim.  Most of the upsets if you want to call them that happen in the middle seeds where it's hard to separate at least a dozen teams as to their relative strength.....and their likelihood of winning a game against a more or less equal team.   IMO those are some of the best games....8 v 9 down to 5 v 12.   

Watched a little of the post bracket discussion and found it interesting that Duke and UNC are in opposing brackets such that they would meet in the finals...and despite not being seeded #1, Duke is getting a lot of "love" now that their four horsemen are all healthy.  They've already played three excellent games this year and a fourth would be something to see for us folks over in the Carolinas.....love 'em or hate 'em...the play some good basketball. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Gets started this week with two teams from the state of Alabama......Troy and Jax State. Between them they only played a couple Power 5 teams. lost all of the games and never beat a ranked team as best I can tell.   Yet there they are and a pretty good bama team and an Auburn team that could beat either of them ....even on an off night...will be watching. 

Some interesting pairing for March Madness.....and once again showed that while it is touted as a 68 team tournament, it actually is a tournament of about 30 or so top teams and another 30 or so "warm-up teams" that give the impression that it is a test of the elite basketball programs of the nations. 

So the state's two representatives to March Madness will be served up as an hors d'oeuvre  for Duke and Louisville before those highly regarded teams down to serious matters.  And of course, a few times in the history of the tournament, 15h or 16th seeded teams have slipped up on one of the big boys who over-looked them....but the odds are pretty slim.  Most of the upsets if you want to call them that happen in the middle seeds where it's hard to separate at least a dozen teams as to their relative strength.....and their likelihood of winning a game against a more or less equal team.   IMO those are some of the best games....8 v 9 down to 5 v 12.   

Watched a little of the post bracket discussion and found it interesting that Duke and UNC are in opposing brackets such that they would meet in the finals...and despite not being seeded #1, Duke is getting a lot of "love" now that their four horsemen are all healthy.  They've already played three excellent games this year and a fourth would be something to see for us folks over in the Carolinas.....love 'em or hate 'em...the play some good basketball. 

I actually really like Duke. They are my second favorite basketball team. Love to watch them play, especially against the Tar Heels. They give me a reason to get excited about the NCAA tournament when I wouldn't normally have one. I miss the Sonny Smith days in the 80s. 

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

Someone will die if UNC and Duke play in the national title game lol

It might be my wife or my son … Wife is a Dukie and my son graduated from Chapel Hill . They are very careful with each other during basketball season . :)

I just filled out my bracket from the aufamily contest I was in the past couple of years.  If you played last year, you should have an email reminding you.  I ended up with the Bruins of UCLA. No ties to them. Just how it fell for me. 

On 3/13/2017 at 5:22 PM, AU64 said:

It might be my wife or my son … Wife is a Dukie and my son graduated from Chapel Hill . They are very careful with each other during basketball season . :)

Haha hopefully not but those February and early March matchups must be like walking on egg shells at your house, 64!

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

Haha hopefully not but those February and early March matchups must be like walking on egg shells at your house, 64!

Like many smart people they know never to discuss politics ....or basketball.    Plus my wife is outnumbered...my son in law is also a Tarheel....so best to just not talk about that sport....don't want them cutting us off from our grand children..:)

On 3/13/2017 at 10:48 PM, AUBwins said:

I just filled out my bracket from the aufamily contest I was in the past couple of years.  If you played last year, you should have an email reminding you.  I ended up with the Bruins of UCLA. No ties to them. Just how it fell for me. 

send me a link fam? was not here last year. WOOOO!!!! thanks! GO DUKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #bandwagondukefansince99

http://games.espn.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2017/en/group?groupID=1700629  #shamelessselfpromotion here is a link to MUHHHHHHHHHH espn group I made. Join or not its all gucci to me!

Not sure who I want to win the tournament this year.  Several I NEVER want to win a game much less a title:  In no particular order:  Any team from the SEC (unless its Auburn of course),  Specifically, Kentucky/Florida,  Duke (i DETEST duke), North Carolina (same as duke), of course florida state/uat  (yes i know uat isn't in the tournament) are there as well. 

Will probably pull for Villanova and Gonzaga. 

On 3/13/2017 at 10:48 PM, AUBwins said:

I hadn't planned to do that this year, but it looks like its going on its own.  5 people have made picks in there and I never even sent out invites or anything.   So, I just sent out the invites to everybody that has played in previous years.  Perhaps we'll get a good group there to play.   If you want an invite, I'll need your email address to send you a link.

15 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

I hadn't planned to do that this year, but it looks like its going on its own.  5 people have made picks in there and I never even sent out invites or anything.   So, I just sent out the invites to everybody that has played in previous years.  Perhaps we'll get a good group there to play.   If you want an invite, I'll need your email address to send you a link.

mavsmd6@yahoo.com (yes I did make this email address when I was a huge marquis daniels fan when he was on the mavs! lol)

45 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Not sure who I want to win the tournament this year.  Several I NEVER want to win a game much less a title:  In no particular order:  Any team from the SEC (unless its Auburn of course),  Specifically, Kentucky/Florida,  Duke (i DETEST duke), North Carolina (same as duke), of course florida state/uat  (yes i know uat isn't in the tournament) are there as well. 

Will probably pull for Villanova and Gonzaga. 

Agreed....but I'd add Kansas to the dislike category. I'm pulling for Gonzaga and whoever is this year's underdog surprise team. I still remember that year with Manhattan. That was fun.

33 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Watch out for Middle Tn State

I thank them and East Tennessee State are about the only two teams missing from those lists of basketball deplorable......but why not Troy? 

35 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Watch out for Middle Tn State

becoming to trendy of a 12 vs 5 upset pick. BLOOD BANK LOCK that minny beats them now. I think majority is picking MTSU now.

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

becoming to trendy of a 12 vs 5 upset pick. BLOOD BANK LOCK that minny beats them now. I think majority is picking MTSU now.

You do understand that MTSU is the Harvard of the south and that Kermit Davis is the modern day John Wooten

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

You do understand that MTSU is the Harvard of the south and that Kermit Davis is the modern day John Wooten

Hey I have heard that John Wooten guy was a pretty good coach back in the day! haha. But seriously I NEVER would of imagined that. Kermit had some very average teams while he was in the sun belt. Never really took off and become a FORCE till the last few years in a new conference.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I just joined your group, sir

thank you kind sir!!! welcome!

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Hey I have heard that John Wooten guy was a pretty good coach back in the day! haha. But seriously I NEVER would of imagined that. Kermit had some very average teams while he was in the sun belt. Never really took off and become a FORCE till the last few years in a new conference.

Just beat #5 seed Minnesota

Archived