Markaviest Bryant

aubiefifty

Elite pass rusher Markaviest Bryant 'ready to get to work' at Auburn

Wesley Sinor | wsinor@al.com

As a four-star prospect and the No. 14 weak-side defensive end in the 247Sports Composite, Markaviest Bryant was one of the top recruits Auburn reeled in on National Signing Day Feb. 1.

Now he's ready to back up the hype.

Earlier this month Bryant enjoyed a pressure-free visit to the Plains, his first since signing his National Letter of Intent with the Tigers.

"One thing I can say is they treat me the same way," he said. "It's all family, and I'm glad I picked to be here. It's nothing different."

During his time on campus Bryant watched Auburn's first spring practice in pads and came away impressed with defensive line coach Rodney Garner's style. The Tigers are looking to replace a pair of anchors on the defensive line -- Carl Lawson and Montravius Adams, Bryant's older cousin.

"I watched a lot of the defensive guys and defensive line with Coach Garner," Brant said. "I did a lot of that... I just wanted to see how it was. It was very intense, nothing I wasn't expecting. He coached hard. It's tough love and I feel like he's a great coach."

Garner was Bryant's primary recruiter and played a huge role in swaying him away from other suitors like Alabama, Georgia and LSU.

Meet Auburn's 2017 signing class

Meet Auburn's 2017 signing class

The Tigers signed 23 players for Gus Malzahn's fifth straight top 10 recruiting class

"It's just because, really, of playing time," Bryant said. "I really feel like Coach G can develop me and I can get on the field early. And that's one reason I chose Auburn. And it's a family atmosphere, there's nothing more you could ask for."

The 6-foot-4, 226-pounder is coming off an eye-popping senior season at Crisp County High School in Cordele, Ga. He racked up 102 total tackles (58 solo) with 36.5 for loss, 15.5 sacks and 66 quarterback hurries.

"He'll probably start out as a Buck (end)," Adams said when asked about Bryant at Auburn's Pro Day last week. "He'll probably gain a few pounds... I think he'll get probably about 250, maybe 260. Of course him being able to know Coach G, he'll be a whole different player from when he came out of high school. I'm really just looking (forward) to his upside. When you get here and you meet Rodney G, that's a different coach from recruitment."

What Adams believes he offers to NFL teams

What Adams believes he offers to NFL teams

Since Montravius Adams closed his college career with a stellar senior season, all the former Auburn defensive tackle has done is improve his draft stock.

Bryant is unsure if he'll be at Auburn for A-Day April 9 since that's the same date as his high school's prom. He asked Garner what he could do to get a head start for fall camp, and will spend the offseason improving his hands and exploding off the line.

"I'm going to be committed to what I do," Bryant said. "I'm ready to get into it and ready to get to work.

"I really feel like this year and the years to come the defense is starting to get real solid. A lot of guys I talked to are real confident in what they're doing. So when you have a real confident defense, you have a real good defense."

4 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

What a senior year.... good grief.. what class was he in??

We ought to start calling them "Sinorisms."

• 1 month later...

Big Cat hurt in ‘freak accident’

A mishap sent prized Auburn recruit Markaviest Bryant to the hosptial Tuesday.

According to his coach, it was a freak accident Tuesday that left the right hand of 2017 Auburn 4-star defensive end/buck signee Markaviest “Big Cat” Bryant badly bloodied.

“He was horsing around a little bit,” Crisp County (Ga.) coach Shelton Felton said. “He slipped and tried to catch himself on the door. He’s so big, his arm went through the window. I guess it was just a regular window.”

The accident sent Bryant to the hospital. He later sent out multiple photos of his hand through Snapchat, along with the words, “I’m good.”

Efforts to reach Bryant have been unsuccessful, but Felton said Bryant is doing fine.

“Everything is better,” Felton said. “He’s doing good. I think he was scared. It was a freak accident.”

Might the injuries to Bryant’s hand impact him football-wise? Felton didn’t think so.

“He should be okay by the time he gets to Auburn and they start football,” Felton said.

Bryant, one of Auburn’s most important 2017 signees, is expected to move into his dorm at Auburn the last weekend of May.

What I can't understand is how Gus can recruit someone that horses around and gets to close glass. I don't care if everyone else wanted him, this is a recruiting failure on knowing not how to evaluate!!

So he's scheduled to move in the last week in May. When is the earlies Auburn trainers/Doctors can officall look at his hand?

Also, BTW for all you wise a$$s who question why we would let a kid do thus are that - maybe CGC had it right, hire security guards to follow them everywhere.

3 minutes ago, JoeinPF said:

So he's scheduled to move in the last week in May. When is the earlies Auburn trainers/Doctors can officall look at his hand?

Also, BTW for all you wise a$$s who question why we would let a kid do thus are that - maybe CGC had it right, hire security guards to follow them everywhere.

You serious Clark? You know we are just funning.

Wow... really shows his character, Gus has got to do a better job of evaluating these kids. Anyone who horses around next to a glass door is clearly lacking in character. 

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Wow... really shows his character, Gus has got to do a better job of evaluating these kids. Anyone who horses around next to a glass door is clearly lacking in character. 

I assume the italics is a replacement for yellow font?

8 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

#spice #plateglassenergyvampires #freebrotherchette 

13 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

I assume the italics is a replacement for yellow font?

Ding ding

Speaking of character, it seems many on this board have mastered the art of character assassination by a thousand little cuts.

CHM has rightly been under a lot of fire the last two years. But, if you are unhappy with him, put your big boy paints on and make your case. Otherwise focus on the important issue at hand (pun intended) the health of a fine young man.

11 minutes ago, JoeinPF said:

Speaking of character, it seems many on this board have mastered the art of character assassination by a thousand little cuts.

CHM has rightly been under a lot of fire the last two years. But, if you are unhappy with him, put your big boy paints on and make your case. Otherwise focus on the important issue at hand (pun intended) the health of a fine young man.

What

12 minutes ago, JoeinPF said:

come again sir?

17 minutes ago, JoeinPF said:

Settle down. 

16 minutes ago, JoeinPF said:

Image result for get a load of this guy gif

(How do I turn a gif yellow?)

53 minutes ago, JoeinPF said:

I LOL'd.

58 minutes ago, Charleston Tiger said:

come again sir?

I was going to say he is new judging by how many posts he has, so we needed to give him slack since he may not understand why you guys were saying that, but I saw he has been a member since 2011, so I have no idea.  He most likely did not read the Woody Barett thread.

JoeinPF, those guys are on your side.  They were mocking the Woody Barrett thread when a lot of people were blaming Gus for him transferring or not being able to scout talent.  Don't worry.

4 minutes ago, bryanlooney said:

1os31r.jpg

Bob Ross quotes on Markaviest Bryant slip.
  • “We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.” ... 

This always seems to happen when I haven't read a thread in a while...

"Auburn recruit ___ looks great. Can't wait to get started at Auburn."

"Auburn recruit hurt in freak accident."

12 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

This always seems to happen when I haven't read a thread in a while...

"Auburn recruit ___ looks great. Can't wait to get started at Auburn."

"Auburn recruit hurt in freak accident."

I'm just glad he didn't fall up the stairs while trying to carry a salad.

Archived