patient approach to QB battle

aubiefifty

ledger-enquirer.com

Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey taking patient approach to QB battle

By Michael Niziolekmniziolek@ledger-enquirer.com

Auburn fans itching to find out more about the team’s quarterback plans for the 2017 season are going to have to wait.

New offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey doesn’t feel any pressure to name a starter this spring, and structured the team’s competition at the position accordingly.

“I think it’s a continued evaluation throughout spring ball,” Lindsey said of making a decision. “We don’t play until September.”

Through Auburn’s first five spring practices — the team has this week off for spring break — Lindsey dedicated a significant amount of time to working on fundamentals with his healthy quarterbacks.

“I think that’s important to build that base and that foundation of that, especially during spring ball,” Lindsey said. “This is the time where you are getting your guys fundamentally dialed in with the footwork and the mechanics of throwing the ball and all that stuff. I just felt like it was really important to start with that and build a base with these guys.”

Lindsey’s back-to-basics approach is much different from how previous offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee structured last year’s quarterback competition.

“We want to make sure they’re doing certain things the right way so they can throw accurately and on time,” Lindsey said. “I think it’s important to start with a foundation and build on it each day. Some of these drills we’ll do early on and maybe not do them again until right at the end or maybe fall camp. I think it’s always important to start and build that foundation.”

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn, who is giving Lindsey “autonomy” over the quarterbacks, is happy with how the competition is slowly progressing.

“It's been good for him to work with those guys and evaluate those guys,” Malzahn said. “We've got a lot of reps, more 7-on-7 reps probably the first five days than we've had in the past. That's by design. He's getting a feel for them, they're getting a feel for him also. I think it's good competition. The guys, you can tell each day, they're getting better.”

Lindsey’s next big decision will be whether to have the quarterbacks go live during one of the team’s upcoming scrimmages.

“There have been places where we have gone live,” Lindsey said. “When I was here the first time we didn’t do that because we only had two at that time. I think each year is a different situation. I’m not really sure which way we’ll go with that yet. At some point they got to be tested for sure but I think you have to be smart about when and how you do it.”

Is there ANY insider knowledge about Tyler Queen?  Will he just become the scout team QB???  Will Barrett become the scout team QB???

2 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Is there ANY insider knowledge about Tyler Queen?  Will he just become the scout team QB???  Will Barrett become the scout team QB???

Why the interest in TQ? At best he is now 4th string. If JS grows and becomes our QB for the next 2 or even 3 years, I don't see TQ staying if he feels he has any thoughts of being a starting QB. Now add SW in for at least 1 more year (if he stays his Sr year), WB and the Fr QB,  I don't see any chance for TQ...

2 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

It really is weird. Like, being down the depth chart is one thing. But they have discussed every single other guy- 5 of them- at great length, and not a word about Queen. Not one. 

I mean, the writing is on the wall, but dang. He's a quarterback. At Auburn. Where quarterback has been an extra... interesting... position going back to 2008. 

56 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Why the interest in TQ? At best he is now 4th string. If JS grows and becomes our QB for the next 2 or even 3 years, I don't see TQ staying if he feels he has any thoughts of being a starting QB. Now add SW in for at least 1 more year (if he stays his Sr year), WB and the Fr QB,  I don't see any chance for TQ...

I think part of my interst is the complete lack of interest by the entire media and coaching staff.  He is never mentioned.  Neil Caudle got talked about more.  Hell, I get more press the TQ right now. 

Also, it is obvious White and Stidham will be 1 and 2, but who does everyone think number three will be?  Queen?  Barrett?  Chandler Cox?

18 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

I think part of my interst is the complete lack of interest by the entire media and coaching staff.  He is never mentioned.  Neil Caudle got talked about more.  Hell, I get more press the TQ right now. 

Also, it is obvious White and Stidham will be 1 and 2, but who does everyone think number three will be?  Queen?  Barrett?  Chandler Cox?

:) I think most on here seem to really like WB just because he is really built well. Actually, when i see photos of him, i think he could play LB. )) That seems to be the consensus.

It's hard for TQ to get any ink, because since he has been hurt he can't compete at all. And I think we have so many QBs on the team, I'm not sure that Caudle had a long list of QBs to compete with. (and I am not even including JF3, who now looks like a WR...

21 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Willis

52 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Willis

This kinda gets interesting, because the coaches would in essence be putting a "price" on Malik's red-shirt. How much more confident would they be that Malik would win a game that Woody might lose? Is it worth him losing a year of eligibility for that gamble? 

Just now, bigbird said:

Mailik will red shirt unless JS and SW get hurt.

Right, what I was getting at was the case when JS and SW both get hurt. Since you said Malik would be 3rd string, the coaches would have a decision to make - either play Woody and keep Malik's RS intact or play Malik and lose a year of eligibility. It creates an interesting situation where the coaches are essentially having to put a "price" on Malik's red-shirt.

40 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Right, what I was getting at was the case when JS and SW both get hurt. Since you said Malik would be 3rd string, the coaches would have a decision to make - either play Woody and keep Malik's RS intact or play Malik and lose a year of eligibility. It creates an interesting situation where the coaches are essentially having to put a "price" on Malik's red-shirt.

Sorry to intrude, but

one might deduce that Mr. Bird has already (from his perspective) set a demand-curve threshold for the (supply-limited) redshirt. 

Edited for clumsy writing

Malik is going to be a stud in the future, just watch. We all know he will redshirt this year, but I get this odd vibe from watching what little sample of practice video at AU that he's going to be a special player, even just the way he carries himself. The only other player I've felt like this about before he played a down is someone I don't even have to name because you already know who it is. He's going to have a bigger impact than most people expect in the future.

10 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

What QB battle is there? I'm thinking Stadham will be the starter with Barrett 2 and White or Queen #3.

Good question. Might even serve as a foundation for a thread?

2 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Malik is going to be a stud in the future, just watch. We all know he will redshirt this year, but I get this odd vibe from watching what little sample of practice video at AU that he's going to be a special player, even just the way he carries himself. The only other player I've felt like this about before he played a down is someone I don't even have to name because you already know who it is. He's going to have a bigger impact than most people expect in the future.

Kiehl Frazier?

7 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Kiehl Frazier?

Lol no, only AU player I ever remember watching and getting this almost unreal vibe from without playing a down at AU was from was Cam (that's not trying to compare him Cam in any form) I just think the kid can be a superstar. Note: this is in my lifetime, which is not that long lol

25 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Lol no, only AU player I ever remember watching and getting this almost unreal vibe from without playing a down at AU was from was Cam (that's not trying to compare him Cam in any form) I just think the kid can be a superstar. Note: this is in my lifetime, which is not that long lol

Make it longer

33 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

lol i was just kidding man

So why is everyone jumping on the Malik bandwagon over Barrett.  Last year everyone was talking about how Barrett was going to be really good.  Now everyone seems to say Malik.  I'm not saying anyone is wrong or right.  I haven't seen either practice or even compared size stats.  I would like some good analysis though.

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

So why is everyone jumping on the Malik bandwagon over Barrett.  Last year everyone was talking about how Barrett was going to be really good.  Now everyone seems to say Malik.  I'm not saying anyone is wrong or right.  I haven't seen either practice or even compared size stats.  I would like some good analysis though.

Apparently Malik has looked very strong in practice. He is crisp, and can be explosive. Some say he looks like Marshall but not as fast. I have heard talk that Barrett is still not seen by the coaches as a solution they are very comfortable with. Some of this could be his play in practice and it may include some attitude stuff as well.  Anyway, if Malik continues to improve, it is only a good thing for AU. I think it is great that Malik has an outside QB coach as well. One interesting thing is how polished Malik looks for a kid that should be going to his Senior Prom soon. 

Malik was very underated.

4 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Apparently Malik has looked very strong in practice. He is crisp, and can be explosive. Some say he looks like Marshall but not as fast. I have heard talk that Barrett is still not seen by the coaches as a solution they are very comfortable with. Some of this could be his play in practice and it may include some attitude stuff as well.  Anyway, if Malik continues to improve, it is only a good thing for AU. I think it is great that Malik has an outside QB coach as well. One interesting thing is how polished Malik looks for a kid that should be going to his Senior Prom soon. 

Malik was very underated.

Thanks.  That was what I was looking for.  I will also point out to GUS MALZAHN that from what JFD just said, anytime a high school player shows up that has had access to a private coach they always look "sharp".  Most be those other voices.  

How tall is MW???

Archived