Chris Todd's Story

abw0004

The story of Chris Todd, the most forgotten quarterback in recent Auburn history.  Went from shoulder surgery, missing Spring practice to setting an Auburn record of 22 touchdowns in 2009.  Fun season to watch for me.  West Virginia game comes to mind.  Coached up by, Gus Malzahn.

Nope I was wrong.  Spent two years at Texas Tech one year at  Hutchinson and one year under Franklin at Auburn before Gus.  But yeah, way to coach him up Gus!

4 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Nope I was wrong.  Spent two years at Texas Tech one year at  Hutchinson and one year under Franklin at Auburn before Gus.  But yeah, way to coach him up Gus!

He wasn't very good the three years before Gus took over.  Leading up to the 2009 season, everyone was upset that Todd was QB.  He did not have a very good junior year.

Just now, abw0004 said:

He wasn't very good the three years before Gus took over.  Leading up to the 2009 season, everyone was upset that Todd was QB.  He did not have a very good junior year.

Yeah.. He is probably the reason for the 5-7 record..........................................................................................................

2 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Yeah.. He is probably the reason for the 5-7 record..........................................................................................................

Sarcasm? Because that's just flat out not true

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Yeah that was all on him.....and his bum shoulder that required surgery midway through the season. I guess everyone forgets that Todd was by far the best QB of the bunch in 2008 even when his arm strength left him after the first half. He had some of the prettiest throws for TDs I've ever seen with my own eyes that year. The fade to Robert Dunn against LSU, the TD throw over Eric Berry's head against Tennessee. 

He sat out all Spring, didn't get to throw the ball once until summer workouts, and then won the job a mere 9 days into fall camp. Not sure you can convince me that Malzahn developed Todd into a record setting QB in 9 days of actual hands on coaching. Malzahn gets credit for putting Todd in the best position for success with a veteran O-line, solid and physical running game, and a couple of clutch receivers. Auburn reaped the benefits of a healthy and already experienced and developed 5th year Senior QB in 2009. No wonder he won the job once he was finally healthy. 

Gus utilized his talents extremely well.  He may have helped him improve some but he didn't make him into a great QB.

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Gus utilized his talents extremely well.  He may have helped him improve some but he didn't make him into a great QB.

I doubt many coaches make a guy into a great QB...mostly a good coach helps a guy reach his best potential....and if he is able to do that, then he's done a good coaching job.   

Chris had all kind of limitations....and Gus seemed to help him overcome enough of them to be successful....Very good job by Gus. JMO

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I doubt many coaches make a guy into a great QB...mostly a good coach helps a guy reach his best potential....and if he is able to do that, then he's done a good coaching job.   

Chris had all kind of limitations....and Gus seemed to help him overcome enough of them to be successful....Very good job by Gus. JMO

Exactly....It's not like Gus went Coach Kline with him and said visualize and attack. Then sat on the sideline. He utilized his skill set and put him in a position to be successful in a short period of time. Good job IMO.

Guest WarEagleSteve

I've been saying for a while (not on here but in general) that "Chris Todd numbers" should be the baseline we should expect out of an Auburn starting quarterback. 2500-ish yards, 60% completion percentage, 20-ish TDs, and less than 10 picks. By the standards of college football these days those are pretty pedestrian numbers but Auburn QBs almost never seem to get there consistently. I imagine we would win a lot more games if they did. 

13 minutes ago, alexava said:

We win 10-11 games with Todd the last two seasons. 

You may be right

I may be crazy

On 3/16/2017 at 1:32 PM, abw0004 said:

The story of Chris Todd, the most forgotten quarterback in recent Auburn history.  Went from shoulder surgery, missing Spring practice to setting an Auburn record of 22 touchdowns in 2009.  Fun season to watch for me.  West Virginia game comes to mind.  Coached up by, Gus Malzahn.

I LOVE Chris Todd the person. I have had the pleasure to talk to him a few times and he is a wonderful human being. Thank you for sharing the video. It speaks to how great a Auburn man he is.  Those TD passes however were inflated. 16 of his 22 td passes came against non sec competition. The most overlooked QB recently for us is hands down Brandon Cox. He was 28-9 as a starter. He was a absolute STUD his sophmore year before his disease really hit him hard. His last 2 years he sucked it up and was a absolute gamer for us and Auburn was better for it. He is what I have always hoped Sean White would turn out to be. 

23 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Exactly....It's not like Gus went Coach Kline with him and said visualize and attack. Then sat on the sideline. He utilized his skill set and put him in a position to be successful in a short period of time. Good job IMO.

He fit Todd in with the personnel he had around him like a good coach should and let him play his game. 2009 was one of the best, if not the best, managed Malzahn offenses at Auburn, considering the limitations they faced that first year. Todd is no dual-threat QB, he is a prototypical pocket passing spread QB. Malzahn utilized him very well as he did with Ben Tate, Darvin Adams, Terrell Zachery, etc. I certainly credit Gus with some great play-calling that year and overall management of that offense. The point of my post was to establish that Gus didn't have much to do with crafting Todd into a good or great QB. He already was one after years of experience - he just needed to be put in the right spot with the best pieces around him to be successful and Malzahn ID'd that 9 days into Fall camp.

Archived