2018 4* WR Anthony Schwartz Commits to AU!!!

ellitor

Updated (01/04/18): Anthony commits to AU!

Possibly the fastest college football recruit in the nation will be going to Auburn.

American Heritage four-star receiver Anthony Schwartz announced a commitment to the Tigers during the first quarter of the Under Armour All-America Game on Thursday night at Camping World Stadium.

Schwartz, also a state-champion sprinter, chose Auburn over Florida.

“I just feel like that’s the best school for me to succeed at both football and track and I feel good things up there,” Schwartz said on ESPN2 after the announcement.

He added postgame: “I felt that’s where I was supposed to be. … What they’re doing in football, they’re doing something special up there. I feel like I can get the ball a lot.”

The Florida Gators appeared to be the favorite to land the speedster earlier in his recruitment, but Schwartz named the Tigers his leader amid the coaching change at UF and Auburn’s hot regular season finish with the Iron Bowl victory over Alabama.

“Anthony Schwartz is a great kid. Auburn is also getting a dynamic and explosive player,” American Heritage offensive coordinator Mario Perez said. “Every time that Anthony gets the ball in his hands, the opponent has to hold their breath because Anthony is capable of taking it to the house on any play.”

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/football/fl-sp-hs-ua-all-america-notes-20180104-story.html

4_5169319.jpg

Anthony Schwartz, WR
Fort Lauderdale, FL (American Heritage)
Ht 6-0 | Wt 172 | 40 4.34

247Sports: 4*
ESPN: 4*
Rivals: 4*

• Recruiter: Kodi Burns
  • Unofficial Visits to AU 7/30/17, 10/07/17 (Ole Miss Game), 11/25/17 (Iron Bowl)
  • 25 receptions for 507 yards and seven touchdowns as a senior

Offers: Auburn, Alabama, Baylor, Florida, Fresno State, Georgia, Iowa State, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami (Fl), Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi State, NC State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oregon, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, Tennessee, USC, USF, Virginia, Virginia Tech and Wisconsin, among others.

Schwartz has reputation for being one of the nation's fastest prospects regardless of position, and certainly backed that up at The Opening Miami with a blazing 4.34 in the 40-yard dash. His sheer quickness at the line of scrimmage allows him to gain the upper hand on the majority of the defensive backs, and most of the time it is over shortly after that. Schwartz is also very effective on jet sweeps and reverses, flashing elite speed in the open field. He has no problem getting behind defenses to stretch the field, but is a headache to contain underneath as well.

https://247sports.com/Player/Anthony-Schwartz-90347

HUDL Highlights

From AU 247

Auburn receivers coach Kodi Burns is making speedster Anthony Schwartz, a 3-star recruit from Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) American Heritage, feel like a “priority” and that could pay off with two visits to the school in the near future, the player said.

“I haven’t visited there yet but Coach Burns, he calls me like every week pretty much,” Schwartz said. “I feel like he’s prioritizing me as his top receiver he wants to bring in. He wants me to come to the spring game, which I think I’m probably going to. And then this summer he wants me to come to like an exclusive thing with them. They take the top recruits they want and they invite them there.”

The 6-feet, 172-pound Schwartz might be the fastest recruit in the country. He’s certainly in the conversation.

His best 100 meters time to date is 10.37 seconds (last weekend) -- and that was into a headwind. His best 200 time: 20.69. 

Last spring, he won the 100 and 200 meters at state -- beating speedy Auburn running back commit Shaun Shivers in both events.

He already has earned an invitation to The Opening -- the prestigious summer event in Oregon — after running the 40-yard dash in 4.34 seconds during the Miami regional.

According to Schwartz, the primary programs in the running are “Florida, Miami, Georgia, USC, Auburn, Notre Dame and Oregon.” Florida State could be another to watch should the Seminoles offer.
He said Auburn, Florida and Oregon probably have recruited him hardest.

Schwartz wants to also run track in college. That could help Florida, Florida State and Oregon — three schools with well-known elite track and field programs. Florida and Florida State have been particularly strong in the sprints historically.

But Schwartz has liked what he has heard thus far from Auburn, particularly Burns.

“Coach Burns said he wants me to play slot and the outside,” Schwartz said. “Playing slot, do mismatches and option routes and take reverses. And then outside, stretch the field.”

Schwartz potentially could announce his commitment at The Opening the first week of July. He called his upcoming visits “important.”

“I’m looking for how they have student academics, balancing with the athletics, then how the team comes together,” Schwartz said. “And also, how many people have played early this past season and this upcoming season.”

Here is our complete interview with Schwartz ...

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to have him on the team , but if he is running a 10.15 lasered as a junior high school , he might need to just concentrate on track at the next level.

6 hours ago, DAG said:

I would love to have him on the team , but if he is running a 10.15 lasered as a junior high school , he might need to just concentrate on track at the next level.

Bo did both and very well. It can be done.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Bo did both and very well. It can be done.

Yes, Jim Thorpe also did very well in it too. The point still remains. I would love to have him on the football team, I would love to have him on the track team. Realistically, As someone who is very passionate about track, this kid is a phenom on the track. If he just concentrated on track, he could definitely be running sub-10s come time to do it professionally. BTW, Bo Jackson never ran a 10.15 in the 100 at AU. I am sure he could've if he concentrated solely on track, but he was great at so many other things. Anywho back to recruiting.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Yes, Jim Thorpe also did very well in it too. The point still remains. I would love to have him on the football team, I would love to have him on the track team. Realistically, As someone who is very passionate about track, this kid is a phenom on the track. If he just concentrated on track, he could definitely be running sub-10s come time to do it professionally. BTW, Bo Jackson never ran a 10.15 in the 100 at AU. I am sure he could've if he concentrated solely on track, but he was great at so many other things. Anywho back to recruiting.

I think Bo would be closer to running a 10.15 at 220lbs than Schwartz would be at 220lbs. Now the question is could Bo run a 10.15 at 172lbs. 

I do think it would be more of a feat if Bo were able to do it at his weight. Most of those track guys are skinny, ripped, but skinny. Bo was ripped but not skinny by any stretch. 

3 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I think Bo would be closer to running a 10.15 at 220lbs than Schwartz would be at 220lbs. Now the question is could Bo run a 10.15 at 172lbs. 

I do think it would be more of a feat if Bo were able to do it at his weight. Most of those track guys are skinny, ripped, but skinny. Bo was ripped but not skinny by any stretch. 

Nope Thorpe was the fastest of all I saw him once and was just amazed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Bo could throw a football 200 yards underwater 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JDUBB4AU said:

...back in 82...

On 4/1/2017 at 8:58 PM, augolf1716 said:

Nope Thorpe was the fastest of all I saw him once and was just amazed

Golf, I thought you were at the Berlin Olympics in 36' when Jesse won. Wasn't he the fastest?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Golf, I thought you were at the Berlin Olympics in 36' when Jesse won. Wasn't he the fastest?

Nope old Jimbo was Jesse was very fast jusy not in Jim's league

I am pretty sure Bo was carrying Willy Shoemaker when he ran that 10.15.   That has to count for something.

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

I am pretty sure Bo was carrying Willy Shoemaker when he ran that 10.15.   That has to count for something.

And the horse he was riding on.

55 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

And the horse he was riding on.

Up hill in a foot of snow.

On 4/1/2017 at 8:09 PM, JDUBB4AU said:

Further if the ball had not been thrown sideways and using his non dominant  hand. He was using his other hand to hold his nose underwater. You know, for the kids and all.....

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Further if the ball had not been thrown sideways and using his non dominant  hand. He was using his other hand to hold his nose underwater. You know, for the kids and all.....

Hahahahahahahah. Awesome point. Forgot he had a bum shoulder too 

• 2 weeks later...

WR who ran 10.15 100-meter enjoys first Auburn visit

AUBURN, Ala. — Anthony Schwartz’s recruitment has been on a fast track in 2017.

The 6-foot wide receiver from American Heritage (Fla.) entered the year with a Rutgers offer. He’s since picked 20 other big-time Power 5 offers, including Florida, Miami, Auburn, Georgia and LSU. Schwartz is a 3-star wide receiver who ranks 72nd at the position in the class.

But college coaches like him for something else: His world-class speed.

Take pregame of Auburn’s A-Day, for example. First it was Travis Williams who walked over to make a comment about Schwartz’s lightning-fast 100-meter dash. Then Gus Malzahn, Kodi Burns and Jarrett Stidham all wandered over to make some form of comment about Schwartz’s elite, straight-line speed. Later in the day, Auburn tight ends coach Larry Porter pointed out a Corvette driving around Auburn and asked if he could beat it in a race.

For those unaware, Schwartz recently ran a 10.15-second 100-meter dash. He hopes to get down to the “10.0s” by the end of his junior track season. The 10.15 display broke the nine-year high school record set by former Florida running back Jeff Demps.

That’s fast.

Auburn was quick to get Schwartz on campus following that 10.15 performance on March 31. Schwartz was equally eager to get up to the Plains for A-Day, and then venture over to Athens, Ga., for an unofficial visit to Georgia.

The Tigers impressed on visit No. 1.

“It really changed my opinion on Auburn. I always liked it, but now I feel like it’s somewhere I can play,” Schwartz said. “It was great. The spring game atmosphere was great with 50,000 fans. I spent the whole day here pretty much, just talking to all the coaches. I just liked the facilities. I went on a little tour.”

Schwartz didn’t know entirely what to expect from Auburn.

Anthony Schwartz-Florida Gators recruiting
Auburn WR target Anthony Schwartz (Student Sports)

He’s heard murmurs from other recruits about what to expect. Before the visit, he commonly heard the word “different” about Auburn and wanted to find out what that meant for himself. Schwartz experienced that first hand around campus and Auburn, as he hung out with fellow south Florida boy John Franklin III during his visit.

“I was looking forward to how the school is. People like to say Auburn’s different from urban places, like Miami. It feels great,” Schwartz said. “We’re all secluded. I thought it would be just a small school, not a lot of people. I didn’t think there would be that much people for a spring game. I was with a few of the receivers. Everyone came up to them and knew all of them. They feel like celebrities out here.”

More importantly, Schwartz wanted to see the new-look Auburn offense.

He’d heard about Chip Lindsey’s downfield plans. He’d been told Jarrett Stidham’s big arm would alter the nature of Auburn’s passing game. Schwartz came away from the spring game impressed by what the Tigers are going to do on the offensive side under a new offensive coordinator.

“I feel like they have a great offense, started to pass a lot more,” Schwartz said. “Usually they were a run team the past couple years. This year, a lot of deep passes, a lot of stuff I think I would fit in with.”

The visit also allowed Schwartz to hang out more with Kodi Burns who he was with until his late Sunday afternoon departure.

“I feel like we have a good relationship now, especially since this was my first time actually meeting him,” Schwartz said. “I definitely got to relate to him. We’re both kinda chill, laid-back.”

Schwartz hopes to make his college decision by the end of the summer. He wants to return to Auburn — in June if he can. A big deciding factor for Schwartz: Will college programs let him run track? He’s on the verge of Olympic trial times, so the ability to compete in track in college will be critical for him being able to fulfill non-football life goals.

Auburn said there won’t be a problem there, and that — along with the visit — has the Tigers in good shape.

“I’d put them near the top,” Schwartz said, naming Florida, Miami, LSU and Georgia as Auburn’s main competition.

Really hope we sign this kid.Not to open a can of worms (on the coaching speed issue)but you can't coach speed like that.With a QB that can get the ball down the field like JS he could really open things up for the entire offense.