2018 4* WR Anthony Schwartz Commits to AU!!!

ellitor

I don't know much about Anthony other than his documented speed. But is he a football player first that runs track, or is he a track guy first who plays football?

2 hours ago, creed said:

I don't know much about Anthony other than his documented speed. But is he a football player first that runs track, or is he a track guy first who plays football?

50/50

11 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Kid can run like a spooked deer as bo Jackson would say. Is this kid as fast bo?? 

Bo Jackson set a PR in the 100 at 10.39 in college

Anthony set a world youth record in the 100 at 10.15 last year in high school.

I will let you decide

43 minutes ago, DAG said:

Bo Jackson set a PR in the 100 at 10.39 in college

Anthony set a world youth record in the 100 at 10.15 last year in high school.

I will let you decide

There's that. Bo also ran a 4.13 forty at Auburn with pads on. No AU player has yet topped that mark.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There's that. Bo also ran a 4.13 forty at Auburn with pads on. No AU player has yet topped that mark.

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

tenor.gif

So, am I a spoil-sport? Were the AU coaches lying? What's the purpose of that silly picture?

11 hours ago, creed said:

Far from an expert,  but if you watch his film he actually catches the ball well (and with his hands, away from his body) and has shiftiness, not just straight line speed. I think he’s both but with that speed I think he’d be better off focusing on track. JMO

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

You are joking right? 

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

You are joking right? 

Urban legend says so who knows for 100% only Bo knows!!!!!!!! sorry couldn't help myself 

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/3/3/17075960/bo-jackson-40-yard-dash-record-4-1-3

Jackson recalls that it was an electronically-timed 4.13 during what would or could be considered a regional combine or expanded pro day that Auburn hosted. According to Jackson, numerous prospects from several colleges attended. He said that it took place in the indoor bubble at Auburn, there was electronic tape at the start that triggered the clock, and that there was a laser at the finish line of the 40-yard dash.

“The coaches asked me, they said, ‘Bo, we have a bunch of pro scouts here, and it’s 40-yard dash time, they’re having a little combine, why don’t you come in and run a 40 for them, because they really came here in hopes to get you to run a 40 for them,’” Jackson recalled. “‘I’m on my way to track practice, I’ll be running for the next two hours.’ ‘Just come in and appease these people, just come in and run 40 for them.’”

Jackson had sprinter training but there you have it from the horse’s mouth. He says he ran a legit 4.13, and you’ll be hard-pressed to find a football player who can top that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

So, am I a spoil-sport? Were the AU coaches lying? What's the purpose of that silly picture?

It's a nice way of calling BS.

A 4.13 in pads...

giphy.gif

26 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Urban legend says so who knows for 100% only Bo knows!!!!!!!! sorry couldn't help myself 

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/3/3/17075960/bo-jackson-40-yard-dash-record-4-1-3

Jackson recalls that it was an electronically-timed 4.13 during what would or could be considered a regional combine or expanded pro day that Auburn hosted. According to Jackson, numerous prospects from several colleges attended. He said that it took place in the indoor bubble at Auburn, there was electronic tape at the start that triggered the clock, and that there was a laser at the finish line of the 40-yard dash.

“The coaches asked me, they said, ‘Bo, we have a bunch of pro scouts here, and it’s 40-yard dash time, they’re having a little combine, why don’t you come in and run a 40 for them, because they really came here in hopes to get you to run a 40 for them,’” Jackson recalled. “‘I’m on my way to track practice, I’ll be running for the next two hours.’ ‘Just come in and appease these people, just come in and run 40 for them.’”

Jackson had sprinter training but there you have it from the horse’s mouth. He says he ran a legit 4.13, and you’ll be hard-pressed to find a football player who can top that.

Before track practice, so not padded, but was it electronically timed? 

Edit: Reading the article further, Ron Wolf who was there said it was a hand time 4.16 40. This is what Bo says...

After numerous reports of hand-held stopwatch times of 3.9 and 4-flat among the scouts, Jackson said the official timer was consulted.

“They asked the guy that was running the electronic timer,” Jackson said. “They said ‘The big-eye don’t lie, let me see what he got.’ The guy said, ‘there it is boys, go out and catch him if you can.’ It was 4.13.”  

A recent article from Bo does attest that he ran in front of scouts before track practice, but he never confirms an electronically timed 40 here. And I doubt it was with pads on.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/bo-jackson-says-record-setting-40-time-never-happened/

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/02/is_bo_jackson_the_true_record-.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2519690-nfl-urban-legends-bo-jackson-and-the-too-fast-to-be-true-40-yard-dash

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

Let's say he can excel at both.  He would make a lot more money in football than track, but also risk more life-long injuries from football. Given that he is willing to play football, I would say he needs to concentrate on improving his football skills.  Running track may get the attention of scouts that he may not receive if he didn't, so he should probably keep competing in track as well.

6 minutes ago, LakeBum said:

Let's say he can excel at both.  He would make a lot more money in football than track, but also risk more life-long injuries from football. Given that he is willing to play football, I would say he needs to concentrate on improving his football skills.  Running track may get the attention of scouts that he may not receive if he didn't, so he should probably keep competing in track as well.

He actually has said that any team who he signs with must also let him run track as well. So it is not one over the other. How about we support him in improving on the field and also on the track, without disregarding one or the other. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

For the unenlightened like me, exactly how much can one make as a professional runner?

Obviously he is the alpha of alphas but Usain Bolt made over $30 million/year 2016 and 2017. Not sure about the "average" professional track guy out there....

Edited by fredst

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

Obviously he is the alpha of alphas but Usain Bolt made over $30 million 2016 and 2017. Not sure about the "average" professional track guy out there....

The only thing I could find was a statistic from 2008 that said the the average salary for a professional runner was between $71,000 and $78,500.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, fredst said:

Obviously he is the alpha of alphas but Usain Bolt made over $30 million 2016 and 2017. Not sure about the "average" professional track guy out there....

The average elite track guys can make anywhere from 25-50 K a year just from running. a good portion makes only about 5k-10k. Usain made a bunch off of endorsements, which is where most of the top tier guys make their money. Bolt probably earned anywhere from 150 - 300K from the races. But again he is world class. What most people around here don't understand is, Anthony is world class for his age group. He is running at a speed that professional runners are running at right now. It would be foolish for him to not take track 100% serious, just like he would with football. Another issue is a lot of guys do NOT make the NFL.  I think I read that about one in 17th of all high school seniors actually go on to make the NFL and only about one in 50 of college football players actually get drafted. He needs to keep both options open.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Another issue is a lot of guys do NOT make the NFL.  I think I read that about one in 17th of all high school seniors actually go on to make the NFL and only about one in 50 of college football players actually get drafted. He needs to keep both options open.

and continuing off what you said @DAG... This article has some interesting numbers.  It breaks it down for all sports in a pdf link from the article, but here is the percentage for a few of the sports.

NCAA Participants Approximate # Draft Eligible # Draft Picks # NCAA Drafted % NCAA to Major Pro* % NCAA to Total Pro^
Baseball 34,554 7,679 1,206 695 9.1% --
M Basketball 18,684 4,152 60 44 1.1% 19.1%
W Basketball 16,593 3,687 36 35 0.9% 4.9%
Football 73,660 16,369 253 251 1.5% 1.9%
M Ice Hockey 4,102 912 211 51 5.6% --
M Soccer 24,803 5,512 81 75 1.4% --

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fredst said:

Obviously he is the alpha of alphas but Usain Bolt made over $30 million/year 2016 and 2017. Not sure about the "average" professional track guy out there....

Justin Gatlin from Tennessee has been running sprints for what seems like an eternity.  His net worth is listed as $3 million.

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

From everything I've read about Bo, he is very competitive and if he was running a race against another person he  was not going to be beat, he could run as fast as he had to win. Lets just say that Bo was damn fast.

• Like 1

Regardless of earnings potential, he clearly has elite level talent and it would be a waste to not use it. As I said earlier, AU track is on the rise. Spry has some very good young talent running and they are coming off one of the best years in AU history.

Also, most monies from track are earned via merchandising and sponsorship's.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, kd4au said:

From everything I've read about Bo, he is very competitive and if he was running a race against another person he  was not going to be beat, he could run as fast as he had to win. Lets just say that Bo was damn fast.

No, no, no. We need to hop in Doc Brown's DeLorean and go settle this thing once and for all. Those two or three tenths of a second are critical to The Schwartz's future at Auburn.

Related image   Image result for the schwartz gif

• Haha 2

A completely unimportant aside.

I recall hearing, as a student at Auburn in the early 80s, of a second string DB who Jackson could beat in a 40, but would beat Jackson in a 100 yard sprint He had a strange name and for the life of me I can't recall the guys name.