Jayvaughn Myers

aubiefifty

Injured Auburn defensive back 'looks better now,' awaits return during fall camp

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Jayvaughn Myers won't be cleared to practice until Auburn opens fall camp, but the redshirt freshman continues to progress in his recovery from a torn ACL.

Myers sustained the injury back in October, just five games into his freshman campaign, and underwent season-ending surgery on Oct. 6 to repair the torn ligament. The 6-foot-1, 188-pounder played did not record a stat last season, though he nearly had an interception against Arkansas State early in the season.

Although he played sparingly when healthy, the season-ending injury was still difficult for Myers to swallow.

"I think it kind of took a toll on him, but I feel like he's ready to come out during fall camp," said receiver Nate Craig-Myers, who is Myers' half-brother. "I feel like he's getting ready and he looks better now."

Myers was not cleared for the start of spring practice, and coach Gus Malzahn said the rangy cornerback will not participate at any point this spring. Myers and cornerback Jamel Dean are both expected to return in the fall and provide more depth in the Tigers' secondary.

Though the injury has been tough on Myers, the presence of his half-brother has provided him with some comfort and a nearby support system during the recovery process. The two arrived at Auburn last summer after signing with the Tigers on National Signing Day last year.

"During the injury, I tried to encourage him, talk to him," Craig-Myers said. "I feel like he has the right mindset now. I feel like he's ready to go."

Archived