Softball vs. Ohio State - Game Thread

20 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Carlson sets down Ohio State in order in the 6th and that's the game folks.  Auburn wins 8-0 in six innings.  Carlson goes the distance and gets a NO HITTER AND PERFECT GAME. 

I can't believe I overlooked an opportunity to dig at WT here!

A perfect game IS a no hitter! It's like saying grand slam home run. Sounds like something the AU softball play-by-play guy would say. ;)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, jared52 said:

I can't believe I overlooked an opportunity to dig at WT here!

A perfect game IS a no hitter! It's like saying grand slam home run. Sounds like something the AU softball play-by-play guy would say. ;)

NO ITS NOT.   A perfect game is no hits, no errors, no hit batters and No walks.  ZERO BASE RUNNERS...  A no hitter alone is NOT a perfect game.

Here's an article on a no hitter in the major leagues but the team LOST the game 4-0.  Is that a perfect game?  Absolutely NOT.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/07/02/sports/no-hitter-but-with-no-glory.html

In fact its happened FIVE times in major league baseball.  Pitcher throws a no hitter but lost the game.

I think Jared is saying it's redundant to say "no-hitter" after you have already said "perfect game".  And it is, but I see no harm in a little extra emphasis.  Besides, you said "no-hitter" first.  And now let me throw in some more additional extra superfluous kudos for Carlson's achievement. 

6 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I think Jared is saying it's redundant to say "no-hitter" after you have already said "perfect game".  And it is, but I see no harm in a little extra emphasis.  Besides, you said "no-hitter" first.  And now let me throw in some more additional extra superfluous kudos for Carlson's achievement. 

But I didn't say them in that order as you noted later in your post.  So, I was right to begin with. :lol:

35 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

But I didn't say them in that order as you noted later in your post.  So, I was right to begin with. :lol:

No you weren't I was right to begin with so both of you are wrong. Matter settled PsSdbRU.gif

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

Thought my point was perfectly clear, saying perfect game and no hitter is as redundant as  grand slam home run.

I know refs never admit wrong, but it's really time to do so, WT. :D

3 hours ago, jared52 said:

Thought my point was perfectly clear, saying perfect game and no hitter is as redundant as  grand slam home run.

I know refs never admit wrong, but it's really time to do so, WT. :D

But I didn't say it that way.  I said no hitter followed by perfect game because they are NOT the same thing.    You can have a no hitter and not have a perfect game if your defense commits any errors or you walk  or hit a batter.    Sorry Jared, you are just wrong here.    I figured you of all people would know the difference here.  Apparently not.   OH, for the record, Auburn pitchers had SEVERAL no hitters last year, but NONE were perfect games and its been noted that this was only the 2nd perfect game pitched in Auburn softball history. 

Unlike a perfect game, in which no batters reach base, in regular no-hitters batters can reach base in other ways, such as a walk, an error, or a hit batsman, thus it is possible for the team pitching the no-hitter to lose.

Do you honestly believe that those pitchers that threw no hitters where their teams lost the game were also perfect games? 

Oh, I'll admit when I'm wrong but this isn't one of those. :lol:  :poke:

40 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

But I didn't say it that way.  I said no hitter followed by perfect game because they are NOT the same thing.    You can have a no hitter and not have a perfect game if your defense commits any errors or you walk  or hit a batter.    Sorry Jared, you are just wrong here.    I figured you of all people would know the difference here.  Apparently not.   OH, for the record, Auburn pitchers had SEVERAL no hitters last year, but NONE were perfect games and its been noted that this was only the 2nd perfect game pitched in Auburn softball history. 

Unlike a perfect game, in which no batters reach base, in regular no-hitters batters can reach base in other ways, such as a walk, an error, or a hit batsman, thus it is possible for the team pitching the no-hitter to lose.

Do you honestly believe that those pitchers that threw no hitters where their teams lost the game were also perfect games? 

Oh, I'll admit when I'm wrong but this isn't one of those. :lol:  :poke:

Dude, I totally understand the difference in a perfect game and a no-hitter. You don't seem to understand that the issue at hand is redundancy. You say that she threw a perfect game and the no hitter is implied. In no way am I arguing that a no hitter is a perfect game. I know that you can have walks, errors, and even runs given up yet not give up a hit. But you cannot have a perfect game without a no hitter, so saying no hitter, no matter what order you are putting them in, is redundant. 

Now let's just enjoy the huge bat and ball weekend and end this nonsense, knowing I'm right of course. :P

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Get a hotel and work it out

I guess I know now why he locks football and basketball threes at the end of the game. :)

Archived