Franklin III embraces WR role

aubiefifty

Auburn's John Franklin III embraces wide receiver role in spring break videos

Wesley Sinor | wsinor@al.com

John Franklin III made a part-time move from quarterback to wide receiver this spring and it appears he's embraced the change.

The Tigers have been on spring break for the past week, but Franklin has been hard at work. Over the last few days, the rising senior posted a series of videos on social media that show him doing a variety of wide receiver drills.

Franklin played in all 13 of Auburn's games last season and accounted for 634 total yards (430 rushing, 204 passing) and four touchdowns.

"John is a great athlete," sophomore receiver Nate Craig-Myers said earlier this month. "I think at receiver, that'll be a nice way to get him out into the field. You give him the ball, he can make a guy miss. ... He's probably one of the fastest guys on the team."

Check out the videos below and stay tuned to AL.com as spring practices resume Tuesday. 

The guy is extremely talented.  I am happy that he was willing to switch positions and not let his abilities go to waist buried on the QB depth chart.

41 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Is this cool with the NCAA that he's doing these promos?

I would think if he is doing them it's fine but if AU were promoting him other then for the NCAA to benefit then I'm sure it'd be some kind of violation.  Because it's ok for the NCAA to pimp out Heisman crap...  

I'm not for pay or no pay I'm neutral on the subject and see both sides equally but if anyone thinks a D1 athlete doesn't have it's advantages already they are sadly mistaken.  

15 hours ago, corchjay said:

I would think if he is doing them it's fine but if AU were promoting him other then for the NCAA to benefit then I'm sure it'd be some kind of violation.  Because it's ok for the NCAA to pimp out Heisman crap...  

I'm not for pay or no pay I'm neutral on the subject and see both sides equally but if anyone thinks a D1 athlete doesn't have it's advantages already they are sadly mistaken.  

Coach, I'm pretty sure each athlete gets maybe $800+ a month. I'm basing this off my AU classmate's daughter who plays basketball at OSU and receives @ $825/month. That is above their no cost room and board. So athletes are doing okay.

7 hours ago, creed said:

Coach, I'm pretty sure each athlete gets maybe $800+ a month. I'm basing this off my AU classmate's daughter who plays basketball at OSU and receives @ $825/month. That is above their no cost room and board. So athletes are doing okay.

And remember, some University's scholarships are worth more than others (if you know what I mean).

I wonder who at the school convinced him to still feel like he was going to be a qb especially after we signed the guy from Baylor...whoever that guy is needs to be on our recruiting team

I have to say that I am very encouraged by JF3's attitude and the way he seems to really be working at becoming a wide receiver.  No doubt he is fast, and former QB's are certainly used to having the ball in their hands. If he turns out to have soft hands as a receiver and can use that speed of his to help create separation, this could be a very, very good move for both the team and him.  He sure wasn't ever gonna be a QB at the next level, at least in my opinion. But as a receiver with all his speed and athletic talent, he may have a future as a football player after college after all.

On 3/23/2017 at 2:41 PM, cole256 said:

I wonder who at the school convinced him to still feel like he was going to be a qb especially after we signed the guy from Baylor...whoever that guy is needs to be on our recruiting team

Do we know they did?

Archived