2018 4* LB Zakoby McClain commits to AU!!!!

ellitor

Updated (11/28/17): Zakoby commits to AU!!!

224208.jpg&w=190&h=254
Zakoby McClain, LB
Valdosta, GA (Valdosta)
Ht 6-0 | Wt 205

• Recruiter: Travis Williams (P)
  • Picks up AU offer 3/07/17
  • Unofficial visits to AU 11/25/17 (Iron Bowl) and 4/01/17
  • Commits to AU 11/28/17

247Sports: 4*
ESPN: 4*
Rivals: 4*

Offers: Auburn, Cincinnati, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Indiana, Kansas, Kent State, LSU, Marshall, Maryland, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, UCF, UCLA, USF, West Virginia and Wisconsin, among others.

Image result for zakoby mcclain

• Like 1

I like that we seem to be targeting a fair number of quality Linebackers so far in this recruiting cycle.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I like that we seem to be targeting a fair number of quality Linebackers so far in this recruiting cycle.

With T-WIll as our recruiter - our coaching staff probably feels it has a legitimate chance to land any top tier linebacker.

One nice thing about having T-Will recruiting is we are getting better players at LB which means that soon you will start seeing us putting more LB's into the NFL. The more you put into the NFL the easier it is to recruit top tier LB's because you have proof that Auburn is a stepping stone to the NFL for LB's.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

Kid looks crazy good on film. Fast and great in the open field. He is a little short for LB and a little light. Right now he looks Safety size. We must think he can add weight. Kid is a crazy strong tackler. 

Valdosta is a very strong program. One of the best in the history of HS football. They have recently returned to to be one of the best programs in GA again. Would love to have this kid join our team. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

BOOM BOOM BOOOM!!!!! WOOOOO!!! bring him home T Will!

• Like 1

Zakoby McClain says Tigers ‘took No. 1’

AUBURN, Ala. — It took only one visit to Auburn’s campus for 2018 linebacker target Zakoby McClain to name the Tigers his leader.

McClain, a 4-star linebacker from Valdosta, Ga., attended Auburn’s scrimmage Saturday. It was his first time on campus since receiving an offer on March 7.

It was a home run experience.

“Auburn done took No. 1,” McClain said. “(The Tigers’ lead) is kind of big.”

Other schools in the chase for McClain: LSU, South Carolina and Oregon.

With Auburn in the lead, the Tigers are in good shape as the No. 15 outside linebacker in the nation nears a decision. He’s not certain when he will decide, but admitted he “maybe wants to be done in August.”

McClain’s relationship with linebackers coach Travis Williams left the biggest impression following the Saturday visit.

“I’ve gotten real close with him. He’s cool. He’s nice and laid back. He keeps it real with you. He doesn’t sugarcoat it,” McClain said. “I just like the coaches. My dad wants a father-figure type coach. They’ve got that.”

With McClain at 6-foot-1 and 199 pounds, it’s fair to say he is on the small end of the linebacker spectrum.

That perception drives him.

McClain said that’s why he feels like his game compares to a former college football great.

“Ryan Shazier. Speed, ain’t scared to hit. I’m a leader,” McClain said.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

That kid plays bigger than 6'-1" and 205lbs. 

No doubt!

We seem to be in on really good LB talent this year. T-Will is doing the work! 

Not sure what the order is for our most wanted LBer's, but having just watched film on Tindall, the SC kid that went to T-Will's HS, and McClain, from Valdosta........they are both sort of undersized but both are fast and pack a punch. My preference would be for McClain. 

AU leads for McClain, but 2 SEC programs pushing

The dad of 4-star linebacker Zakoby McClain wants his son to pick a college where the coaches can be father-like figures in McClain’s life.

Said McLain: “I think they’ve got that at Auburn.”

The Tigers offered the Valdosta (Ga.) standout in early March and less than four weeks later he named them his leader following last Saturday’s visit to the school.

One reason for that: His relationship with linebackers coach Travis Williams.

“He’s cool,” McClain said. “He keeps it real with me. He told me I’d have a chance to start. I’ve just got to work hard for it.”

The 6-feet-1, 197-pound McClain is the No. 12 outside backers in the 247Sports Composite.

Besides his relationship with Williams, he said he fits in with the players at Auburn and likes the role the Tigers have pegged for him.

“They say I’ll be playing everything, but they’re going to try to get me to play outside because I can cover receivers,” McClain said. “I think I can fit into the defense.”

Auburn, though, has some competition to land McClain, namely South Carolina and LSU at the moment.

“The lead isn’t that big, they’re just No. 1 for now,” McClain said.

With the Gamecocks, McClain’s staff at Valdosta is close with South Carolina coach Will Muschamp and his crew.

“I went into (Muschamp’s office) and talked to him,” McClain said. “He liked that I was fast and I ain’t scared to hit anybody. I’m a competitor.”

When might we see a commitment from McClain?

“Maybe by August,” he said.

Click play below to hear our entire interview -- and to get a thorough breakdown of his ability.

• 4 weeks later...

Auburn still No. 1 for No. 4 OLB

Jeffrey Lee | Senior Editor

Kqsdbyi3rtqic6rzqc6p
Valdosta (Ga.) linebacker Zakoby McClain averaged 9.5 tackles per game last season.
Chad Simmons

Auburn continues to lead for Rivals100 linebacker Zacoby McClain.

The Tigers have been No. 1 on McClain's list since he visited in March, and remain No. 1 for McClain entering May.

“Nothing has changed,” McClain said. “Auburn is still on top."

McClain's reasons for the Tigers being on top also remain the same. The No. 4 outside linebacker likes Auburn’s campus. He likes the football facilities. Most important to him, McClain likes the coaches.

“I like everything at Auburn," McClain said. "Especially Coach T-Will."

McClain has developed a strong bond with "Coach T-Will," formally known as Travis Williams, Auburn's second-year linebackers coach.

The recruit and coach spent a lot of time together during McClain's visit to Auburn in March. McClain learned more about Williams the man, husband and father as he did about Williams the coach. The two have stayed in contact, most recently speaking on the phone.

Williams is scheduled to visit McClain later this week and watch practice.

“Me and Coach T-Will have gotten real close,” McClain said. “He’s real cool and keeps it real with me. He's like a father figure. I could see myself fitting in with him and the players at Auburn."

McClain plans to return to Auburn in the summer. He still hopes to make a commitment in late August or September, sometime shortly before the start of the season.

Although Auburn leads, McClain's recruitment is far from over. He also is considering LSU, South Carolina, Oregon, Alabama, Georgia and Florida State.

"I want to try and take some more visits like LSU," McClain said. "But Auburn still leads."

Last season as a junior, McClain finished with 123 tackles, including 88 solos, 20 tackles-for-loss and two sacks. He forced three fumbles and deflected two passes.

Rivals ranks McClain, who is 6-foot-1 and weighs 200 pounds, the No. 68 overall player in the class and the No. 9 player in Georgia.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Free blurb of a premium Rivals article under the news section of ZM's profile...

Rivals 100 LB committing this summer, Auburn's on top

One of the most athletic linebackers in the 2018 class is committing before his senior year and Auburn has the lead.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Still has AU as his no. 1 and cites his relationship with T-Will as the big factor. I think he is more likely to commit at the cookout Saturday, same could be for Michael Harris. Like how T-Will has a father figure like relationship with both and that we're highly likely to land both because of this. Zacolby should be a great pickup.

• Like 2

Hope we get a couple of commitments this weekend! When will a list of visitors be out--to those who know these things?

5 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Still has AU as his no. 1 and cites his relationship with T-Will as the big factor. I think he is more likely to commit at the cookout Saturday, same could be for Michael Harris. Like how T-Will has a father figure like relationship with both and that we're highly likely to land both because of this. Zacolby should be a great pickup.

I love it. Twill is fantastic 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Also I believe TWill will be a D.C. And then a HC very soon . AU better hold on to him .. recruiter of the year could also be in his future

• Like 3

TWill is recruiting football players, not athletes.....He is finding guys that have the passion for the game and the will to do whatever it takes.   For years I have complained about chasing stars and not recruiting football players like Cunningham etc......

• Like 8

10 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Also I believe TWill will be a D.C. And then a HC very soon . AU better hold on to him .. recruiter of the year could also be in his future

From what I hear, TWill is all AU down to his bones. It would take a "can't refuse" offer to keep him from climbing the ranks within the family. 

Unfortunately for us, if he keeps doing what he is doing, he'll get a few of those "can't refuse" offers. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Twill has definitely located some killers for the LB position. Liking what im seeing.

Does anyone else remember that bama LB named Michael Myers!  Best LB name ever. We should recruit LBs named Freddy Kruger and Jason Voorhees, maybe a guy named Leatherface?

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Does anyone else remember that bama LB named Michael Myers!  Best LB name ever. We should recruit LBs named Freddy Kruger and Jason Voorhees, maybe a guy named Leatherface?

Too bad Little Ball of Hate didn't work out and the Bull was only okay. 

I'll take McClain as the next Travis Williams, AT Williams, or Karibi Dede. That'll work for me!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

I'll take McClain as the next Travis Williams, AT Williams, or Karibi Dede. That'll work for me!

He's bigger than T-Will ever was, isn't he?