College Baseball Rankings

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Ready to step this thing up a notch? Projected as a host site: 

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/baseball/bracketology

man that "Auburn regional" looks really good...

Talk about top heavy versus quality,

Big 12 and ACC each get three Super Regionals (TCU, TTU, OU) (Louisville, Clemson, UNC), but the SEC gets 1 super and 5 regional hosts. I gotta believe the SEC will end up around 2-3 super, 3-4 regionals.

Also, LOL at Missouri being a 2 seed in Louisville's bracket. While i respect the win streak they had to begin the season only 2 of their 21 wins have come against teams that have a shot at the tournament, they swept the worst bama team in years and have gone 1-6 since, and are more than likely only gonna win two maybe three of their remaining series. If they make the tournament its gonna be as a 3-4 seed in what ever region they get.

9 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Ready to step this thing up a notch? Projected as a host site: 

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/baseball/bracketology

man that "Auburn regional" looks really good...

FWIW that site is monumentally bad at predicting such things. They kept projecting us in on the last day a few years when we had no shot of making the CWS Tourney.

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

See the Baseball postseason chatter thread.

For some reason I remember  everyone all fired up that we were going to make the football playoffs.

We got a lot of season still to go, before we worry about hosting.

13 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

RPI up to 31 since A&M had higher RPI. 

RPI was 31 last week. It stayed where it was. aTm moved up 12 spots this week from 42 to 30.

22 hours ago, ellitor said:

RPI was 31 last week. It stayed where it was. aTm moved up 12 spots this week from 42 to 30.

Was just looking at where it said we were 34 in the last ranking on that link, didn't know about being 31 earlier.

17 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Was just looking at where it said we were 34 in the last ranking on that link, didn't know about being 31 earlier.

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/team-rank?team=Auburn

WarrenNolan.com uses the same formula as the NCAA. Look at weeks 8 & 9 after you click on the rankings tab on the link posted above. We are 31 both weeks. I just figured out you were looking at a daily measure & I thought you were meaning weekly. aTm was behind AU in RPI til they won the series on Sunday.

As always, the RPI comes shooting up with conference play.  Even in a relatively down (or more appropriately, even) year, the SEC is so stinking tough.  At this point it's just a matter of how many we can win.  With 21 games left, I am hopeful this team can win at least 38 games and go 18-12 in the league.  With a strong tournament showing that would at least put them in the conversation for you know what.  I don't think we'll host, but at least being mentioned is exciting.  Fingers crossed that Keegan, Casey and Cole can hold up.

13 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

As always, the RPI comes shooting up with conference play.  Even in a relatively down (or more appropriately, even) year, the SEC is so stinking tough.  At this point it's just a matter of how many we can win.  With 21 games left, I am hopeful this team can win at least 38 games and go 18-12 in the league.  With a strong tournament showing that would at least put them in the conversation for you know what.  I don't think we'll host, but at least being mentioned is exciting.  Fingers crossed that Keegan, Casey and Cole can hold up.

I will try to quantify it a bit. I think it will take finishing 1st or 2nd in the SECw and be in the RPI top 20 to be a regional host. Both are doable.

I just went back and checked last year's regional sites and the SEC had seven.  Some of that has to do with the size and quality of the facilities (Box, Baum, Blue Bell, Founders and the like).  At this point it would look like Oxford and College Station would not be hosting again in '17, Nashville, Starkville and Columbia could all be in jeopardy as well.  Last year the western most host site was in Texas which had three...Arizona and Oregon State will change that this year.  Kentucky's chances have got to be hurt by the fact that they have a crap facility and Louisville is almost an automatic.  Can't see the NCAA putting two regionals in that state.  And Coral Gables is completely out, Miami is looking to break that ridiculous string of tournament appearances (44 years).

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I just went back and checked last year's regional sites and the SEC had seven.  Some of that has to do with the size and quality of the facilities (Box, Baum, Blue Bell, Founders and the like).  At this point it would look like Oxford and College Station would not be hosting again in '17, Nashville, Starkville and Columbia could all be in jeopardy as well.  Last year the western most host site was in Texas which had three...Arizona and Oregon State will change that this year.  Kentucky's chances have got to be hurt by the fact that they have a crap facility and Louisville is almost an automatic.  Can't see the NCAA putting two regionals in that state.  And Coral Gables is completely out, Miami is looking to break that ridiculous string of tournament appearances (44 years).

I'm guessing Florida, LSU, and Arkansas all get a host spot unless one of them just falls apart. Then, I think Auburn, Miss St, Kentucky, and probably Vandy will be battling for another one or two host spots from the SEC.  

4 hours ago, boomstick said:

I'm guessing Florida, LSU, and Arkansas all get a host spot unless one of them just falls apart. Then, I think Auburn, Miss St, Kentucky, and probably Vandy will be battling for another one or two host spots from the SEC.  

SC & aTm can also be in the discussion easily depending how they finish. SC just got their #1 closer back who was not available against us fortunately. He could be a game changer for them.

The RPI game is a moving target this time of year.   We beat someone and our RPI goes up....and we lose to someone and their RPI goes up....and in the SEC, with so many top teams playing each other, seems the net result is that over time we mostly cancel each other out unless a team is obviously dominant....which thus far, nobody seems to be.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

The RPI game is a moving target this time of year.   We beat someone and our RPI goes up....and we lose to someone and their RPI goes up....and in the SEC, with so many top teams playing each other, seems the net result is that over time we mostly cancel each other out unless a team is obviously dominant....which thus far, nobody seems to be.

The SEC is so strong that when conference season started everybody went up but Bama.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

SC & aTm can also be in the discussion easily depending how they finish. SC just got their #1 closer back who was not available against us fortunately. He could be a game changer for them.

Yeah, shouldn't have left South Carolina out. IMO, aTm has a lot of work to do to get to that point. They have to really turn things around to host. , which is possible. But they're 5-7 and would probably need to finish with 17+ wins in the SEC. 

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

Yeah, shouldn't have left South Carolina out. IMO, aTm has a lot of work to do to get to that point. They have to really turn things around to host. , which is possible. But they're 5-7 and would probably need to finish with 17+ wins in the SEC. 

All I'm saying is aTm's RPI is good enough to where they are in striking distance if they do get to 17 then they may host. They are 6-7 actually, about to be 7 & 7, and will be 8-7 after sweeping Bama tomorrow.

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

All I'm saying is aTm's RPI is good enough to where they are in striking distance if they do get to 17 then they may host. They are 6-7 actually, about to be 7 & 7, and will be 8-7 after sweeping Bama tomorrow.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Just from past observations, but we can project all the different possibilities for playoff location but I am betting that once again we end up in Tallahassee . 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just from past observations, but we can project all the different possibilities for playoff location but I am betting that once again we end up in Tallahassee . 

Unless we make them give us our own regional. If we can get to 20 wins in the sec they cannot not give us a regional. And that's possible. Sweep Bama and ole miss which highly possible, take 2 of three from arky and State or lsu, and we can drop a series against one of the others and that'll get us to 20 wins.

Archived