College Baseball Rankings

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its great to see the Tigers ranked in several polls and to pull off a sweep against the Gators. Here's hoping they don't take a step back to take a look at their work.

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Look at the date. That was last week's poll. Their new poll has not come out yet.

#24 in this week's.

3 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Geez, how many do we need?

I Only pay attention to the 2 main ones but if the NCAA is going to post more than that they might as well post Perfect Game too.

It will probably take a few more Florida – like series to overcome some of the bad results from earlier games.  Tech is a good place to start . Just can't afford many more of those mid week collapses. 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

It will probably take a few more Florida – like series to overcome some of the bad results from earlier games.  Tech is a good place to start . Just can't afford many more of those mid week collapses. 

If we get to 15 or 16 SEC wins we can afford a few as long as we are over .500 overall.

ERA

Through games of March 20, 2017
RANK NAME TEAM ERA
1 Matt Kent Xavier .00
- Ryan Testani Seton Hall .00
- Troy Conyers San Diego .00
- Beau Sulser Dartmouth .00
- Joe Orlando Binghamton .00
6 Luke Heimlich Oregon St. .25
7 Jared Poche' LSU .25
8 Casey Mize Auburn .30
9 T.J. Sikkema Missouri .33
10 Brendan McKay Louisville .36

34 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If we get to 15 or 16 SEC wins we can afford a few as long as we are over .500 overall.

Likely that is true and the win over Tech tonight is a nice thing to add to our resume . It seems however that 15 or 16 SEC wins is a fairly tall hill to climb . ... But the Florida series was certainly a good start. ... Even if Florida kind of donated one of those games to us. 

9 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

ERA

Through games of March 20, 2017

Casey Mize   Auburn      .30

Don't forget Keegan at #14 with a 0.78 ERA.

45 minutes ago, AU64 said:

It seems however that 15 or 16 SEC wins is a fairly tall hill to climb . ...

15 is winning only half of the SEC games. I'd submit that if a team can't win half of their conference games they don't have much business or much of a chance in the NCAA tournament anyway. That's not a dig at you, 64, it's just my observation of which teams do and don't belong in the NCAA's.

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

15 is winning only half of the SEC games. I'd submit that if a team can't win half of their conference games they don't have much business or much of a chance in the NCAA tournament anyway. That's not a dig at you, 64, it's just my observation of which teams do and don't belong in the NCAA's.

I understand your view but we send teams to basketball tournaments all the time that don't have a possibility of winning so what is the difference here?

The SEC is pretty tough , winning half of the games is a challenge in my view.   A team with a strong RPI still has the opportunity for some upsets... And maybe the same argument holds about benefits of a few extra games and some extra practice . 

42 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We've had this conversation before. Every team with 15 SEC Conference wins & over a .500 record in overall games has made a regional every year since the CWS tourney expanded to 64 teams back in the 90s. Regardless of any opinion the chance of making a Regional given those parameters is nearly at least in the 90% range.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

We've had this conversation before. Every team with 15 SEC Conference wins & over a .500 record in overall games has made a regional every year since the CWS tourney expanded to 64 teams back in the 90s. Regardless of any opinion the chance of making a Regional given those parameters is nearly at least in the 90% range.

Please with the OCD attitude. Your comment, valid as it is, has nothing to do with what I posted. I posted this: "If a team can't win half of their conference games"... That's is entirely unrelated to a team that does win half or more, which is what you posted about.

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

The problem with this is that all conferences are not created equal.  Give me a 13-17 SEC team vs a 17-13 Big Ten team any day in the tourney.  There's just a massive competition gap.

I used to live in Lansing and watched Michigan State baseball a few times.  The quality of that conference doesn't hold a candle to the SEC, PAC 12, Big 12, or ACC, and I would argue some smaller conferences are better as well (Sun Belt for example).

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Please with the OCD attitude. Your comment, valid as it is, has nothing to do with what I posted. I posted this: "If a team can't win half of their conference games"... That's is entirely unrelated to a team that does win half or more, which is what you posted about.

You are looking too far ahead though. We gotta start making Regionals first then worry about chances of winning in the CWS. Cart before the horse & such.

We still have a series to play against: 

Georgia

@Tennessee

Alabama

If we pickup even the bare minimum for a series win in these, that's 6 total wins making our SEC win total 9. To get to 15, means winning 6 games in following series:

South Carolina

@TAMU

Arkansas

@Miss State

@LSU

Ole Miss

That's 1 win in each series- and that's if we only beat the top three teams 2 out of 3. 

15 wins sounds like a pretty attainable goal to me.

19 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

We still have a series to play against: 

Georgia

@Tennessee

Alabama

If we pickup even the bare minimum for a series win in these, that's 6 total wins making our SEC win total 9. To get to 15, means winning 6 games in following series:

South Carolina

@TAMU

Arkansas

@Miss State

@LSU

Ole Miss

That's 1 win in each series- and that's if we only beat the top three teams 2 out of 3. 

15 wins sounds like a pretty attainable goal to me.

Taking 2 at UT is not something that should be talked like it's chalk. Their RPI  is #21 and they appear to be good this year. They may have just ran into a buzzsaw last week against USCe. We need to take 5 of 6 against UGA & Bama & go from there.

Archived