Sign in to follow this  
SCTiger2011

College Baseball Rankings

Recommended Posts

I never figured the size of the victory...or the loss figured into things in baseball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




4 hours ago, AU64 said:

I never figured the size of the victory...or the loss figured into things in baseball.

Agreed, baseball is not like other sports where the score differential is a relative indicator of skill difference. Any team in American can just get hot one day. We did on Saturday, Texas Tech did on Sunday. I hate to quote this movie, but jimmy Fallon in Fever Pitch said it best, and I'm paraphrasing "you can't fake it, with many things in life you can get lucky, but not in baseball. You can either hit a curveball or you can't. You can have a lucky day, sure, or even a lucky season, but you can't have a lucky career. Everything will equal out in the end. It's fair, like life"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wareagle13 said:

Agreed, baseball is not like other sports where the score differential is a relative indicator of skill difference. Any team in American can just get hot one day. We did on Saturday, Texas Tech did on Sunday. I hate to quote this movie, but jimmy Fallon in Fever Pitch said it best, and I'm paraphrasing "you can't fake it, with many things in life you can get lucky, but not in baseball. You can either hit a curveball or you can't. You can have a lucky day, sure, or even a lucky season, but you can't have a lucky career. Everything will equal out in the end. It's fair, like life"

Honestly our 14-3 loss to USA is comparable (could have been worse if the rain didn't stop the game in the 7th) to TCU's 21-3 loss to Texas Tech. USA is good. They are a fringe bubble team but they aren't Texas Tech good through the season. Tech right now has the 3rd best resume in baseball only behind Oregon St. & UNC. TCU's vs. Top 25 resume is Top 10 in the country, vs. Top 50 resume is in the Top 8, & their vs. Top 100 resume is in the top 4 in the country. They also still are in 1st place in 1 of the 2 toughest conferences in baseball this season. Yes they had a horrible game that could throw up some concerns but it is just 1 of 56 regular season games & doesn't define a team or their season.

Edited by ellitor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wareagle13 said:

Agreed, baseball is not like other sports where the score differential is a relative indicator of skill difference. Any team in American can just get hot one day. We did on Saturday, Texas Tech did on Sunday. I hate to quote this movie, but jimmy Fallon in Fever Pitch said it best, and I'm paraphrasing "you can't fake it, with many things in life you can get lucky, but not in baseball. You can either hit a curveball or you can't. You can have a lucky day, sure, or even a lucky season, but you can't have a lucky career. Everything will equal out in the end. It's fair, like life"

Thanks....but regrettably, life isn't always fair.......but I know what you mean....and my favorite comment is that sooner or later streaks of one type or another

 come to a end...and over time, things revert to the mean....:)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thanks....but regrettably, life isn't always fair.......but I know what you mean....and my favorite comment is that sooner or later streaks of one type or another

 come to a end...and over time, things revert to the mean....:)

 

 

Except for UConn basketball. When they have an insanely long streak snapped, they just start another one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Except for UConn basketball. When they have an insanely long streak snapped, they just start another one.

 Well, there is that ....but way back ... At a time that only Golf and I remember , there was UCLA basketball and Oklahoma football . It just takes some schools longer than others to normalize their records. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AU64 said:

 Well, there is that ....but way back ... At a time that only Golf and I remember , there was UCLA basketball and Oklahoma football . It just takes some schools longer than others to normalize their records. 

John Wooden and Bud Wilkinson two greatest coaches of all times and it was damn fun watching UCLA play BB back then.........remember Elvin Hayes and UCLA at the dome game

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

John Wooden and Bud Wilkinson two greatest coaches of all times and it was damn fun watching UCLE play BB back then.........remember Elvin Hayes abd UCLA at the dome game

YEP ....the game of the century.....well perhaps the first "game of the century" since there have been many others I guess.....and of course that was the last century when most of our fellow posters and readers were probably still in K-6 grade school and not allowed to stay up and watch TV that late. 

But yes I did see that game on the tube of course...and considering it was a Houston home game ( more or less) in the Astrodome, it's hard to hold that loss  (what was it...one  or two points? )  against UCLA but broke their winning streak which was what mattered most. 

Meanwhile, what were we supposed to be talking about....oh yeah....I remember....baseball....and whether AU can put together a 3 game winning streak this weekend and help nail down a favorable position in the post season.    As noted earlier....this series scares the H out of me....you just can't depend on a bama team to follow the script and play dead when AU is involved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Thanks....but regrettably, life isn't always fair.......but I know what you mean....and my favorite comment is that sooner or later streaks of one type or another

 come to a end...and over time, things revert to the mean....:)

 

 

I disagree in a strange kind of way. I think life is fairly unfair. Anyone anywhere at anytime can be thrown the proverbial curveball. Some people are lucky in that the curveball just hangs and they crush it, some get a devastating 12-6 break with a 14 inch drop, and other's spent their life not learning to hit or even recognize a curveball and when it comes their knees buckle. All anyone can hope for is that it wasn't strike three or that it was early enough in the game that you get a few more at bats. I'm of the belief that life is unfair to everyone which in the end means it's fair to everyone, and that means everything is on you when the pitch arrives, do you swing, do you leave the bat on your shoulder? Do you hit it, do you miss it? Do you foul it off and get another shot? Everything comes back to the mean over time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wareagle13 said:

I disagree in a strange kind of way. I think life is fairly unfair. Anyone anywhere at anytime can be thrown the proverbial curveball. Some people are lucky in that the curveball just hangs and they crush it, some get a devastating 12-6 break with a 14 inch drop, and other's spent their life not learning to hit or even recognize a curveball and when it comes their knees buckle. All anyone can hope for is that it wasn't strike three or that it was early enough in the game that you get a few more at bats. I'm of the belief that life is unfair to everyone which in the end means it's fair to everyone, and that means everything is on you when the pitch arrives, do you swing, do you leave the bat on your shoulder? Do you hit it, do you miss it? Do you foul it off and get another shot? Everything comes back to the mean over time.

Good stuff 13. As for the task at hand time has shown that great pitching always beats good hitting. Given that, if we play the cards right could run happily and deep into post season. Auburn IMO has great pitching. 

Sorry if i screwed up the conversation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, wareagle13 said:

I disagree in a strange kind of way. I think life is fairly unfair. Anyone anywhere at anytime can be thrown the proverbial curveball. Some people are lucky in that the curveball just hangs and they crush it, some get a devastating 12-6 break with a 14 inch drop, and other's spent their life not learning to hit or even recognize a curveball and when it comes their knees buckle. All anyone can hope for is that it wasn't strike three or that it was early enough in the game that you get a few more at bats. I'm of the belief that life is unfair to everyone which in the end means it's fair to everyone, and that means everything is on you when the pitch arrives, do you swing, do you leave the bat on your shoulder? Do you hit it, do you miss it? Do you foul it off and get another shot? Everything comes back to the mean over time.

yeah....baseball is often cited as a good metaphor for life...but I wonder.  There is an inevitability to baseball that seems to escape randomness.  You put your weakest defensive player in RF and at a crucial moment a guy who is normally a pull hitter, will slice a ball to right that guy misplays....or you are trailing by 2 runs and fill the bases only to see your worst hitter come to the plate...and overall, bad teams find some incongruous ways to lose games they should win.   BUT life....lacks randomness in some ways that seems unfair....and some people are just unlucky.....like the athlete at AU who tries MJ for the first time and gets caught by the police ...dang....that's just not fair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sooo back to the rankings. Here is where AU is this week...

Baseball America #4
D1Baseball #5
CBN #5
PerfectGame #8
NCBWA #8
USA Today #9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Sooo back to the rankings. Here is where AU is this week...

Baseball America #4
D1Baseball #5
CBN #5
PerfectGame #8
NCBWA #8
USA Today #9

Who would have ever thought this at the beginning of the season not me for sure. Butch has done a fantastic job of getting these guys to buy into whatever he is cocahing/selling.

Just an unbelievable job by him and his staff

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Who would have ever thought this at the beginning of the season not me for sure. Butch has done a fantastic job of getting these guys to buy into whatever he is cocahing/selling.

Just an unbelievable job by him and his staff

And with a recruiting class he only had a few weeks to figure out & sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Sooo back to the rankings. Here is where AU is this week...

Baseball America #4
D1Baseball #5
CBN #5
PerfectGame #8
NCBWA #8
USA Today #9

WOW. wDe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this