2018 3* S Juanyeh Thomas

ellitor

AU, GT, UF Top 3

Three schools, including a pair out of the SEC, are sitting comfortably atop the list for 6-foot-2, 192-pound Juanyeh Thomas, a three-star cornerback at Niceville (Fla.) Senior High.

"My top three are Georgia TechAuburn and Florida," Thomas said. "Auburn is a very good school and I'm highly interested in them. I love all of the coaching staff, as well as the environment.

"Florida, I go visit there for junior day this week and will meet all the coaches and everything. Florida has been very interested in me, and they have been showing me a lot of love. I could really see myself at Florida.

"Georgia Tech has been one of my top schools since sophomore year. I waited for their offer, and now that I have an offer, I'm very interested in Georgia Tech and their football program.

"At the end of the day, I could see myself going to either three of these schools."

A former teammate and Scout 300 wide receiver, Elijah Stove, also straps up the pads for coach Gus Malzahn and the Tigers, so there is familiarity there.

"I love Auburn," Thomas said. "As soon as I got on campus, I felt the love. Auburn just makes me feel like I'm here at Niceville; it makes me feel like I'm at home."

Thomas, who is still waiting on an offer from coach Jim McElwain and the in-state Gators, goes as far as saying that Georgia Tech is a "dream" offer in his recruitment.

"I love how everything on game day is live at Georgia Tech," Thomas said. "Their coaches are very much excited just like the players.

"Also, I love how they have a really good program for engineering. Georgia Tech was my first dream offer."

Thomas hopes to make his decision during spring ball or before his school's spring game.

I know he likes GT because of their engineering program but I hope he is aware of Auburn's engineering school and decides hey, this is the school for me.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I like his size...at safety

Yeah. I don't know if his hips are loose enough to be a CB. Not sure yet if AU likes him at CB or S so I'll just put DB in the title for now.

• 1 month later...

DB from Florida names top 3, calls Auburn ‘favorite’

As Auburn defensive backs coach Greg Brown goes through his first recruiting cycle at Auburn, a lower-ranked defensive back from Florida has caught his eye.

Juanyeh Thomas is listed as the No. 90 safety by the 247Sports composite rankings, which puts him at 1,230th overall among Class of 2018 prospects. Brown doesn’t seem to think that ranking is fitting for the 6-foot-2, 204-pound prospect who plays wide receiver and cornerback at Niceville (Fla.).

“I talk to coach Brown probably like three times a week,” Thomas said. “We’ve got a real good relationship. He said that Auburn and him, they really want me bad. He wants me to come there and make the all-freshman team. He wants me to come to Auburn real bad. They make me feel like I’m a top player they really, really want. Coach Brown was telling me I’m in his top 5 recruits, so I feel like they want me pretty bad.”

Brown visited Thomas’ school on Tuesday.

The Tigers’ prioritization of Thomas is working.

There are a few programs who haven’t offered yet — Alabama, Clemson and Louisville — who are communicating and could get into the mix for Thomas if they were to extend one. For now, however, Thomas is beginning to narrow in on his top options.

He said Auburn, Florida and Georgia Tech stand out, but one has started to separate itself from the pack.

“Those are basically my top 3 right now, but I would say Auburn is my favorite now,” Thomas said. “I’ve visited Auburn, Georgia Tech and Florida. Auburn just gives you that home feeling.”

That last tidbit is particularly promising news for the Tigers.

When asked what he’s looking for in a school — or what a program could do to match the Tigers — Thomas referenced his desire to find that at-home environment. Auburn presented him with that during his visit for the March junior day.

He planned to return to the Plains last weekend, though conflicting schedules prevented it. Thomas will likely wait until late spring, perhaps Big Cat Weekend on June 3, to make his journey back to the Plains.

“Auburn, when I came and visited them, all the coaches were showing me lots of love. When I came to Auburn, I felt like I was at home. I was just looking for that home feeling. I want a college that makes me feel like home,” Thomas said. “Auburn fits that perfect.”

As for a visit plan and decision timeline, Thomas has an idea in mind.

He wants to retake visits to his top 3. No dates are set, but he knows Auburn, Georgia Tech and Florida will be a part of that. If the aforementioned trio of schools end up offering, expect Thomas to make trips to those programs, as well.

Once those visits are taken, Thomas said he’ll “probably” have a final decision made before his senior season begins at the end of August.

“More offers are coming in now. I want to wait and take visits to all my favorite places. Then I’ll make a decision probably before our regular season,” Thomas said. “If (Clemson, Louisville and Alabama) offered, that would probably change my game plan, but for now, I’m rolling with Auburn, Florida and Georgia Tech.”

2 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Feels like his offer isn't committable yet 

Most indications are that it is.

On 5/10/2017 at 1:30 PM, ellitor said:

Most indications are that it is.

Offer is legit. And is a top AU target. Kid is another Monday type. Underrated. Kid is elite and one of the kids top on my list as another huge need. Bird, I'm told this kid is a damn good one. 

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Offer is legit. And is a top AU target. Kid is another Monday type. Underrated. Kid is elite and one of the kids top on my list as another huge need. Bird, I'm told this kid is a damn good one. 

And Brown was on him with the quickness.  He is another in my top group of recruits. His film is nice, but not a lot to see defensively.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

And Brown was on him with the quickness.  He is another in my top group of recruits. His film is nice, but not a lot to see defensively.

Is that because he's so good so they just don't throw or run to his side? My senior year we had a guy go to Wake Forest who played CB and they didn't throw to his side at all and he didn't have a lot of defensive highlights. 

41 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Is that because he's so good so they just don't throw or run to his side? My senior year we had a guy go to Wake Forest who played CB and they didn't throw to his side at all and he didn't have a lot of defensive highlights. 

Not really sure.

I see we are recruiting him as a CB must have really good hips to play CB at that height. What is nice is he is big enough to play Safety also just needs to add a few pounds and has the frame for it.

• 1 month later...

Florida DB updates final stages of recruitment

HOOVER, Ala. — Pump the brakes with Juanyeh Thomas.

The 3-star defensive back from Niceville (Fla.) has been at Auburn a lot this spring and summer. So much so that I felt it was a fair question to ask: Why haven’t you committed yet? That’s because Thomas has a few things he needs to see.

He plans on camping at Alabama this weekend, and he awaits a potential offer. He has a visit set up to Georgia Tech later this month. And he needs to see what schools prioritize him with likely a month between now and decision time.

Auburn recruiting-Juanyeh Thomas
Auburn DB target Juanyeh Thomas (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Of his set top 3 — Auburn, Georgia Tech and Florida — does anyone jump out? The answer might surprise you. It surprised me.

“Georgia Tech,” Thomas said. “Coaches get in touch with me. He tells me how he wants me. So he’s been talking to me every day now that coaches can call.”

I didn’t interpret that as “I’m going to be a Yellow Jacket,” by the way. I viewed it as Georgia Tech is the program emphasizing the need for Thomas most. Auburn is likely trying to figure out what to do with Thomas.

The Tigers haven’t been clear with Thomas whether they’re recruiting him as a cornerback or safety or both (personally, with his size, I think he’s a safety). But Thomas noted Auburn picked up a safety commitment from Quindarious Monday last week.

It doesn’t affect his interest in Auburn, but Thomas understands roster spots can be limited sometimes.

“They just got a 4-star safety. It probably switched things up a little bit (on their end),” Thomas said. “But I’m not worried about that. They make me feel like I’m at home. I’m just so comfortable at Auburn.”

If the Tigers decide they want Thomas, they’ll probably get him.

IMG_9974_jcmfco.jpg
Auburn DB target Juanyeh Thomas (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Unless the newest suitor offers.

As mentioned, Thomas plans to visit Tuscaloosa to camp over the weekend. His coach has been in contact with Alabama defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt who has pushed for Thomas to make it up for a camp.

If an offer were to come there, then Auburn’s worry level could rise.

“Coach Pruitt has been in touch with my coach. He really wants me to come camp,” Thomas said. “He really loves my size and everything. He just wants to see me at camp. That would change everything. Everyone doesn’t just get an offer from Bama. That would change everything. That’s a championship program. If I do get an offer, and do decide to go there, that’s a big game-changer right there.”

The visit to Alabama this weekend and a visit to Georgia Tech later in the month are the only plans Thomas has set. He said he’s been to Auburn at least four times this year, so he doesn’t feel the need to go back. Thomas knows what he’s getting at Auburn, and he already loves it.

Aug. 5 is a tentative decision date. A lot of that will be dependent on the Alabama visit this weekend. If an offer comes, expect to see a pushed back decision date.

What will Thomas be looking for in the final stages of his recruitment?

“Just the school that wants me the most and whoever thinks I can come in and impact their program in a big way,” he said. “I’m going to come to a school and work hard to try to play as a freshman. That’s the goal right now.”

On 5/10/2017 at 11:10 AM, ClaytonAU said:

Feels like his offer isn't committable yet 

It's not or he would already be on board. 

2 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

It's not or he would already be on board. 

Yeah. I kinda got the same vibe from his most recent interview with SEC Country a couple days ago. He said Georgia Tech was recruiting him the hardest now & that AU hasn't made it clear whether we like him at CB or S.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yeah. I kinda got the same vibe from his most recent interview with SEC Country a couple days ago. He said Georgia Tech was recruiting him the hardest now & that AU hasn't made it clear whether we like him at CB or S.

He is a backup plan waiting on a committable offer. If he gets it he will jump on it. That is if he doesn't commit to another school first. I believe he is actually waiting on us atm tho.

12 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

He is a backup plan waiting on a committable offer. If he gets it he will jump on it. That is if he doesn't commit to another school first. I believe he is actually waiting on us atm tho.

Who do you think is ahead of him on the board?

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And at what position?

Just now, ellitor said:

And at what position?

Corner and safety...particularly Safety

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

E is correct we haven't decided on safety or corner. Safety obviously QM was Foucha, and Sherwood. At corner we are still after JAD, the kid from Georgia  whose name escapes me, and 1 or 2 we are taking shot at.

Just now, bigbird said:

Corner and safety...particularly Safety

Pretty sure both Sherwood & Foucha would be higher at Safety. 

Archived